Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas Speed Camaro, 9's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas Speed Camaro, 9's?

Just saw the Texas Speed guys signature. What kind of setup are they running with a NA stock bottom end to be able to get into the 9's? Or is this a secret setup?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mudflap$
Just saw the Texas Speed guys signature. What kind of setup are they running with a NA stock bottom end to be able to get into the 9's? Or is this a secret setup?
They are running fly cut pistons, after market rod bolts, otherwise a stock bottom end. They running their PRC heads, an "MS5" cam that they don't sell, and a ported FAST intake. The trans is a 2 speed auto (glide?) with a 6000 rpm stall converter. Not sure which rear but it has a lightweight full spool in it. Nothing was spared from weight savings, including the use of Lexan windows. I think the car weighed 25xx? Their weight is listed in the drag results section. I heard the car shifts at 7800, but not sure on that. Definately nothing close to a street car, but great track set up.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Launching!

thought it had a th200 trans in it, thats a 3 speed, sweet record even though the car is a beer can, lol
Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LT194CamaroZ
thought it had a th200 trans in it, thats a 3 speed, sweet record even though the car is a beer can, lol
the th200 is not a 3 speed... its a 4
Old 07-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by laytoncamaroz28
the th200 is not a 3 speed... its a 4
the th200 is a 3 speed, the 200-4r is a 4 speed..

if they are running a th200, they are running it without a first gear, they only have 2 gears.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:39 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This doesnt belong in the Internal section. Nub talk.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:40 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Paint it black, have you ever even seen this car?! Its a fairly simple setup that anyone with the same parts and attention to detail can duplicate.

Since I built 99% of the setup I'll share some details. There is nothing to hide, although I'm a little embarrassed that my 680rwhp Turbo Mustang is a tad slower...

Car weighed in at about 2880 at the last race, nowhere near 25xx. Most of the weight savings are from unbolted parts or lighter parts, with very, very little cutting - used a lot of the weight list from this site actually. Right now it has Lexan front and back windows - sides are stock power door glass...working power windows even.

Uses a Metric 200 3 speed and uses all three gears down the track. The 2nd gear shift is usually during a wheelie. Current stall speed is spec'd for 5500, seems more like 5800 when we get in better air (our local DA is normally 5000-6000ft)

An old Moser 12-bolt, standard spool, 33 spline axles, and I believe we have the 4.10 gearing back in it for the last 2 years. About the only thing it has is gundrilled axles, otherwise its the same parts and width dimensions as if someone ordered one for a 98 Camaro.

Shifting at 7100-7200 depending on when he hits the shifter, and crosses about 7400-7500. Don't care if it grenades the motor, we'll pick another one up off the shop floor and do the same damn thing.

Car does have a stock shortblock, flycut stock pistons with ARP rod bolts. We engine dyno tested the setup beforehand and its just easier to not worry about stupid **** like rod bolts when on the dyno. I don't get paid enough to clean up oily messes. Although if it makes the car slower... I'll put the stock rod bolts back in.

Uses a stock '99 ECM and harness, last time out we were tuned for speed density but it was not 100% right as the wideband never works right when we get to a track..weird.. Also we had some new suspension items that have not been fully tweaked. '09 setup new parts were Madman Torque arm and LCA's instead of Spohn TA and BMR Poly/Poly LCA's that were used in the previous setup.

I don't feel it has made a "give it all" pass just yet, between learning the new suspension and trying to tune without a wideband - we didn't have a perfect setup, just look at the MPH between a few passes, the best ET was with a 131mph trap speed, while the best MPH was 136 I believe after a shot in the dark fuel adjustment.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Teching In

I knew there had to be some sick weight savings. Sounds good.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those who have actually looked at the car would agree it's not as light as it could be. There is still plenty to be removed if we wanted to break out the plasma cutter and cut off wheel. It's pretty far from a beer can. Anyone could build a similar car. Just takes the know-how of putting together the right setup.

Jon
Old 07-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
Those who have actually looked at the car would agree it's not as light as it could be. There is still plenty to be removed if we wanted to break out the plasma cutter and cut off wheel. It's pretty far from a beer can. Anyone could build a similar car. Just takes the know-how of putting together the right setup.

Jon
Also, they should have a station close by that sells Q16 since you need 116 octane for that car What is your final compression, 13 to 1?

Like I said it's a great track set up, but stop trying to pass it off as a street car anyone can drive, because it has very very little in common with a street car.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
Also, they should have a station close by that sells Q16 since you need 116 octane for that car What is your final compression, 13 to 1?
Just over 12.5:1. Yes it runs on race gas. LOL I don't think you will find a post where anyone here says it's a street car.

Jon
Old 07-15-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like I said it's a great track set up, but stop trying to pass it off as a street car anyone can drive, because it has very very little in common with a street car.
Nowhere did he ever say it was a street car. Ever. He said someone could duplicate it very easily. Which they could.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
Just over 12.5:1. Yes it runs on race gas. LOL I don't think you will find a post where anyone here says it's a street car.

Jon
ok, I'll leave it at that.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:29 PM
FormerVendor

Umm... alright man.

To the OP, if you have any question about the car or combo, let us know. Sorry to junk up your thread.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Awesome Car!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

does it really have a ms5 cam in it? or are the cam specs on lock down
Old 07-16-2010, 09:19 AM
FormerVendor

It is not an MS5 cam. We aren't even working on an MS5 cam currently. Jason mentioned the possibility of it being an MS5. However, at the point it won't clear w/ stock pistons and heads, we wouldn't consider it a "Magic Stick" cam. I don't remember what the cam specs are right off. I want to say it was mid 24x duration but that's about all I know about it.

Thanks!
Jon
Old 07-16-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

God damn, you're ALWAYS so salty about TSP.
It's hilarious.
You would think that Jon himself ****-punched your mom in the shitbox by the way try to **** on them when given even the smallest opportunity.
Don't act like it doesn't give you a rager when you do it, because we all know it does.

I'll admit that there is a LOT of TSP humping that goes on, but it's almost like you take it personal.
-Matt
Old 07-16-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
It's hilarious.
You would think that Jon himself ****-punched your mom in the shitbox. Don't act like it doesn't give you a rager when you do it, because we all know it does.
That's funny right there....I don't care who you are.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
It's hilarious.
You would think that Jon himself ****-punched your mom in the shitbox by the way try to **** on them when given even the smallest opportunity.
Don't act like it doesn't give you a rager when you do it, because we all know it does.

I'll admit that there is a LOT of TSP humping that goes on, but it's almost like you take it personal.
-Matt
Oh cool, I got one of your "trying too hard to be funny random descriptive" insults that you seem to make in every other one of your posts. I am disappointed though you didn't use "holy fuckballs" or "jesus titty-******* christ" since those are your favorites.

Hope your wife is still making enough money to support you!

Quick Reply: Texas Speed Camaro, 9's?