Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water temp gauge

I want to hook up a autometer water temp gauge. The question I have is can I hook it up to the factory sending unit and get an accurate reading or how do I have to hook it up? If there is another way that I have to hook it up, what will I need?
Thanks
Old 01-19-2004, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Yo! Z! Go to this site http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/gaugepod.html This will give you all the information you need. I used the adapter from Auto Barn and installed a sending unit at the #8 plug which is at the rear of the passenger side head. This works much better than the "broken" stock temp guage.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyStorm
Yo! Z! Go to this site http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/gaugepod.html This will give you all the information you need. I used the adapter from Auto Barn and installed a sending unit at the #8 plug which is at the rear of the passenger side head. This works much better than the "broken" stock temp guage.
The #8 plug in the head is an okay place, but right above the starter is VERY easy to get to. Just drop the starter and use and 8mm allen wrench to remove the plug. You will need an M16x1.5 adapter to go in this hole. Tapping off the stock sender will give you the same dummy results, and even mess up the readings by trying to split the signal voltage between two gauges...
Old 01-20-2004, 05:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did it the same way but drilled and tapped the existing plug.I would rather read Head temp than block temp.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:31 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

I meant at the back of the head just above the #8 plug.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:22 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drilled / tapped a hole in my water pump and installed the sender in there. Much easier to get to than the back of the cyl. head.
Attached Thumbnails Water temp gauge-water-pump.jpg  
Old 01-20-2004, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
The #8 plug in the head is an okay place, but right above the starter is VERY easy to get to. Just drop the starter and use and 8mm allen wrench to remove the plug. You will need an M16x1.5 adapter to go in this hole. Tapping off the stock sender will give you the same dummy results, and even mess up the readings by trying to split the signal voltage between two gauges...
There isn't going to be a huge difference in temp between the head location and the block location. We're talking a couple of degrees. The ease of the location on the block is worth it, IMO. Tapping the water pump doesn't seem like the best alternative, simply because (from the looks of the location of the sending unit) the sending unit is reading the cooled water coming from the radiator.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

MOBE, I tried the bottom of the block and the temp readings were off by more than 20* as measured by my Predator; I.E. - The temps were too low. The "Hole in the Head" is more accurate. But I do agree with you about the water pump. I hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

nobody can answer the stock temp sender question.

the 98 sender is 2 senders, in 1, 3 wires, 1 to ground, and that goes to the factory gauge, and the other 2, go to the computer.

the 98 3rd wire, has been tested, and is the same calibration as the autometer sending unit.

the 99+ goes to the computer only, and is 2 wires, the gauge cluster gets the information from the serial data bus from the computer.

in theory, if the other 2 wires to the computer, are the same as the 99+ temp senders, you could simply install a 98 sender, and get the wiring harness, splice this to your computer, and use the third pin, to the aftermarket gauge.

Anybody know if the 99+ sender is same calibration?

Ryan
Old 01-21-2004, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

MOBE, I tried the bottom of the block and the temp readings were off by more than 20* as measured by my Predator; I.E. - The temps were too low. The "Hole in the Head" is more accurate. But I do agree with you about the water pump. I hope this helps.
My sending unit is in the block, and my temp guage reads within 2 degrees of what EFI Live and Autotap read.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:32 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by MOBE
Tapping the water pump doesn't seem like the best alternative, simply because (from the looks of the location of the sending unit) the sending unit is reading the cooled water coming from the radiator.
Actually, the coolant is coming directly OUT of the head where the sender is located. It's accurate with what the computer is seeing also. Good enough for me.

I had the pump off during a head swap, so it only took 5 min. to install it there and I didn't need any stupid metric adapters or anything either.

Craig

Quick Reply: Water temp gauge