Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 12:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedbird38
Let's say i take a 98-00 TA and slap only an LS6 intake on it...... would it make more power than an 01-02 because of the higher lift and more duration in the 98-00 cam ?
It's more complicated than that. The '01-'02 engine has several *minor* power advantages, and one disadvantage:

+ 241 casting heads flow a bit better than the older castings (806 & 853)
+ Exhaust manifolds for '00 and up flow a bit better
+ LS6 intake, as discussed
- Less aggressive cam

So, I would say that the most overall power possibile from stock components would come from stuffing a '98-'00 cam into an '01-'02 LS1 engine. Or, putting the heads/intake/exhaust manifolds on an earlier engine.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
It's more complicated than that. The '01-'02 engine has several *minor* power advantages, and one disadvantage:

+ 241 casting heads flow a bit better than the older castings (806 & 853)
+ Exhaust manifolds for '00 and up flow a bit better
+ LS6 intake, as discussed

- Less aggressive cam

So, I would say that the most overall power possibile from stock components would come from stuffing a '98-'00 cam into an '01-'02 LS1 engine. Or, putting the heads/intake/exhaust manifolds on an earlier engine.

I should've bought a 01+ camaro.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tmdz28

the SS sure is sweet though bro!

even if it is slower hahhahalolol just kidding

-James
Old 09-25-2010, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

FWIW, I like my '98 more than my '02 for several reasons (not just because it's in better shape). As for power, when they were both 100% stock they felt about the same. We're talking about a 5-10hp difference between the early and later engines, so it's nothing to worry about.

Also:

1) You can always add an LS6 intake.

2) Most people add headers, so the exhaust manifold difference is meaningless.

3) The 241 heads only flow a bit better because of the casting proceedure, once any set of LS1 heads is ported this difference is negated. And the difference stock for stock is negated by the smaller cam anyway.

4) Be proud of your early LS1. As far as I know, the 1/4 mile record holding stock LS1 is still a '99 Z28.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Launching!

FWIW, I like my '98 more than my '02 for several reasons (not just because it's in better shape). As for power, when they were both 100% stock they felt about the same. We're talking about a 5-10hp difference between the early and later engines, so it's nothing to worry about.

Also:

3) The 241 heads only flow a bit better because of the casting proceedure, once any set of LS1 heads is ported this difference is negated. And the difference stock for stock is negated by the smaller cam anyway.

4) Be proud of your early LS1. As far as I know, the 1/4 mile record holding stock LS1 is still a '99 Z28.

Thanks! My buddies gave me all sort of crap about my 99 SS.

I am planning to keep my car internally stock, maybe just add bolt-ons. LS6 intake will be added in the near future. For now though, I am focusing on suspension mods (STB, SFC, PHB, LCA, Konis, strano springs) before any "power" mods.

Based on your professional opinion sir, am i doing the right thing?
Old 09-25-2010, 03:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thanks! My buddies gave me all sort of crap about my 99 SS.

I am planning to keep my car internally stock, maybe just add bolt-ons. LS6 intake will be added in the near future. For now though, I am focusing on suspension mods (STB, SFC, PHB, LCA, Konis, strano springs) before any "power" mods.

Based on your professional opinion sir, am i doing the right thing?
Nothing wrong with doing suspension first, it's always best to start with the area that's most important to you. More power isn't going to help if your biggest concern is handling.

You can make decent power with an internall stock engine. The LS6 intake is certainly worthwhile, but your biggest bolt-on gain would come from LT headers/ORY and a dyno tune. I would suggest you do the intake at the same time though, if you can afford it, and then just do one dyno tune for everything. This would also be a great time to add a ported & polished TB. And don't forget the basics (if you haven't already done so) like an air lid and catback should be done, but they don't require any tuning. You might consider doing a crank pulley as well, if you want every last drop of power with stock internals. After all that, if you still want faster acceleration but don't want to crack into the engine, then do a set of 4.10 gears (for a 6-speed) or a ~3500 stall speed torque converter (for an auto). Weight reduction is another option, this can range from mild to extreme depending on how much stuff you're willing to remove from your car.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 09-25-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by grngt50

-James

Hahaha. Thanks James for yet another insult to my SS.

JK bro, it was making less power due to the plugs and slipping clutch man, you know that. I'll take you on the twisties though.

Did you get my text about those LTs BTW?
Old 09-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Nothing wrong with doing suspension first, it's always best to start with the area that's most important to you. More power isn't going to help if your biggest concern is handling.

You can make decent power with an internall stock engine. The LS6 intake is certainly worthwhile, but your biggest bolt-on gain would come from LT headers/ORY and a dyno tune. I would suggest you do the intake at the same time though, if you can afford it, and then just do one dyno tune for everything. This would also be a great time to add a ported & polished TB. And don't forget the basics (if you haven't already done so) like an air lid and catback should be done, but they don't require any tuning. You might consider doing a crank pulley as well, if you want every last drop of power with stock internals. After all that, if you still want faster acceleration but don't want to crack into the engine, then do a set of 4.10 gears (for a 6-speed) or a ~3500 stall speed torque converter (for an auto). Weight reduction is another option, this can range from mild to extreme depending on how much stuff you're willing to remove from your car.
Full bolt-ons will be done, once all the suspension mod is done. I am just in love with a car that handles well, more so, than a faster car.

Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by grngt50

-James

JK bro, it was making less power due to the plugs and slipping clutch man, you know that. I'll take you on the twisties though.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

yeah dude, got your txt but my phone is trippin right now, no reception.
I think I'm going to end up with a set of stepped Edelbrocks and a custom Y pipe. Ryne @ CMS said they make good power throughout the band and I can get them pretty cheap!

BTW.......
want to get some runs in tonight with your fresh plugs?
Old 09-25-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Also:

only because that 01 or 02 SS i cant remember was run in 90 degree temp. and was just barely slower. im sure it wouldve run a faster ET under better conditions.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

LS6 intake > LS1....better power and torque.....especially when you cam it too! It is 6 times more $$ from what I've seen though.