New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a4 vs m6

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ahve an A4 and i love it, that being said, it is my first automatic car ever with seven or eight 4 and 5 speed older camaro's under my belt. i only got it because i want to bracket race. i love the controle of a standard though. now i get sick and tired of people saying **** like "WOO, look at me I got a sports car but dont know how to drive, so i got an Auto...." ****'em I say....****'em all..............................man i love these cars

Old 01-24-2004, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
c'mon, just admit it, your a closet m6'er

lol i would like to have an M6 too to turn into a G-machine but i really cant stand that "automatics are slower/easy/not real sports cars" crap.....
Old 01-25-2004, 12:31 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
lol i would like to have an M6 too to turn into a G-machine but i really cant stand that "automatics are slower/easy/not real sports cars" crap.....

ya, when people think of auto's they think of the granny shifting a4's found in civics and camary's.

but a properly built a4 with stall and shift kit aint nothing to **** with
Old 01-25-2004, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
a properly built a4 with stall and shift kit aint nothing to **** with
Old 01-25-2004, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp

but a properly built a4 with stall and shift kit aint nothing to **** with
Old 01-25-2004, 01:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

i also wanna throw in a couple of other points pro a4. You said it yourself that you werent planning on throwing a lot of money into the car. I can almost garuntee you that if you start moddin an M6 car, ur rear end will be the first 2 go. after a while they just dont hold up under the pressure. I think the m6 guys with heavier mods would agree.... at the same time it would be a LOT harder to do the same in an A4
Old 01-25-2004, 03:18 AM
On The Tree

My M6 experience - $500 clutch, money for short shifter and shift light, tore up rearend lauching at the track to get half way decent 60 foot times ($2200), plastic pieces in tranny crapped out after too many power shifting passes without ever missing a shift, never did bend a pushrod though. After $1,600 rebuild of tranny I sold the car and it was never that fast anyways. Got tired of rowing 6-gears all the time and found myself using 1-3-5-6.
+ side, never out of power band because you can double clutch. Very good racing from a 30 punch, etc. The biggest plus for me was when riding in a freind's H/C 6 speed with a NX 150 wet shot. At the track I was faster with my juice and bolt on with TC. He had several thousand more dollars in his car but the kicker is that when you rode with him and he shifted the whole car would nose-dive and then he would hit the next gear and the NOS would kick in and throw your *** back in the seat with a vengeance and you would swear you where in a 9 second car. The whole while my car got the holeshot and and he couldn't catch me but it's smoother and just doesn't feel as powerful. If you rode in his car you would think he was a second faster yet he's slower.
Another plus is gas mileage. My modded A4 gets 20 on the HWY, my modded 6 speed got 26.
Lastly, you cannot stab the throttle around a corner in a high stall A4. When she hits half way through you will lose it. With practice you can get pretty good but a 6 speed will eat your ***.

To say a high stall A4 is easy to drive and launch is ****** bullshit. Obviously you have never tried it. I have 400 to the wheels and a 150 wet shot with a 2.5 STR TC so I should hit with around 900-1,000 ft.lbs. of tourque off the line for the first @60 feet. There are many tricks I've learned to optimize the launch. Every day is different and when I'm racing around town it can be challenging to say the least. Too many variables. It's the same for a 6 speed but If you launch a little soft then you double clutch, too hard then you ease off and ride the clutch a litle more. If I know I can go 100% WOT then you are right - stab it and go - That is almost never the case and skill is involved.

Main A4 points for me - we are faster for much less money and less maintenance issues, ie. rearend andclutches. I can drive with one hand so my shattered wrist wasn't as much of an issue, i can hold my GF's hand, boob, etc. i can drink my coffee in the am. If you think it's fun launching a 6 speed at 5500 rpm, try a 4500 2.5 str A4, WOW, tires off the ground. Consistent 60 foots once you get decent. hole shotting people. Dropping to 1st on the street at 20 mph and with a light throttle punch the whole car raises up appearing like the tires are leaving the ground.

If you want to drive 1/4 mile at a time then an A4 is for you, period!!

If you love power shifting, slamming gears, sliding the rear-end out going through curves and carving corners, high speed races, race from 30 punches and not from the dig, and the illusional feel of how fast you are because of the way they shift then a M6 is for you!!
Old 01-25-2004, 06:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many more cars on this site get converted to an automatic from an M6 then vice versa. That should tell you something. However, next week my car goes into the shop to get a T-56 setup put in. For me, they are more fun to drive, as long as you can shift well and not tear it up. IMO, 90% of the T-56's that break are because it is some young guy who can't shift good and just raggs out his car and can't admit it. And most of my races end up being from a roll. Plus, I think I will be able to control the power of a 427 better with an M6. Both are great.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
Relax brother! There's nothing wrong with A4 cars. I've had like 4 A4 cars before my 2 M6 cars. I enjoyed everyone of them. If an A4 is set up right it can be a beast. I perfer to shift my own gears. On a roll a M6 can't be beat on the street IMO.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Launching!

well at the track that i race at there is a automatic class, a manual class, a bike class and several others. it keeps everyone on a level playing field. it makes sense doesnt it?
Old 01-25-2004, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdp244
well at the track that i race at there is a automatic class, a manual class, a bike class and several others. it keeps everyone on a level playing field. it makes sense doesnt it?
damn, i like that track, where you at. over here i have to pull awsome lights against these high stalls to waxum, but it can be done if you have great hand eye coordination. i love a m6 when i first got it i sucked a shifing fast and into third. now i blast through all 4 gears. feels almost like a auto compared to most m6 ive ridden in. moral, lots like m6 but not as many have the ability to competitivly drive them. however im going to a th350 when i get the 346 m6 n/a record. or it dies either way you cant go wrong for a kickass ride
Old 01-25-2004, 10:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for daily driving i like nothing more than to row the gears, but when it comes to straitline G's and performance theres nothing like a A4 with a 3500+ stall
Old 01-25-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdp244

haha thats kinda cool...no flame intended before, i've just NEVER heard of that except at real high levels of competition. i dunno how much i would really like racing in an automtic class tho....most times when i go to the track, i wipe the floor with bolt-on, cammed and even a few head/cam M6s. its DAMN TOUGH to drive those things to their full potential.

BTW: what track is that?? definitely NOT one around here.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

M6 has it's disadvantages - griding gears, overrevs, rev limiter, etc.

if you get a manual, you'll be freaked out by the **** that goes wrong in your stick-learning time (like the above, or worse). it happens.

still though, go with the m6 - it's a hell of a lot more fun (i've owned both) and a hell of a lot more impressive if you learn to drive it well.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

personally i think automatics aren't sports cars. i personally don't see stock camaros are sports car really much anyway. this is just my perception. ithey are muscle cars. corvettes are sports cars, they are setup to handle and go fast. camaros can be autocrossers, and those are sports cars, but not stock. this is just the way i see it. so sports cars IMO are manual, just because if you're running le mans, you need one. plus i like driving a manual much better. 1/4 mile though? A4. nothin wrong with automatic, just not a SPORTS car tranny, MUSCLE car, yes.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:47 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
A4s..even the M6 guys go auto as they get faster.

.....what is so fun about an M6 that cant be done in an A4? missed shifts? over-revving? bent pushrods?
No no no no, start out with a M6 because EVEN the A4 guys go A3's (Turbo350)!!! lol

Peace,
Craig.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

Thats why I got the best of both worlds. the a4/a3 for the race car. And the m6 for the vette. But I do get sick and tired of rowing through the gears every day. I just couldnt see myself getting a auto vette
Old 01-26-2004, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bowtiered
personally i think automatics aren't sports cars. i personally don't see stock camaros are sports car really much anyway. this is just my perception. ithey are muscle cars. corvettes are sports cars, they are setup to handle and go fast. camaros can be autocrossers, and those are sports cars, but not stock. this is just the way i see it. so sports cars IMO are manual, just because if you're running le mans, you need one. plus i like driving a manual much better. 1/4 mile though? A4. nothin wrong with automatic, just not a SPORTS car tranny, MUSCLE car, yes.
I agree. F-bodies are NOT sports cars. I have a friend that has a 99 Z28 M6 who tells me I don't have a "real sports car" because mine is automatic. I tell him neither does he because a "real sports car" does not have a back seat and weigh 3500+ lbs. That made him kind of mad but in the end he agreed with me.

Manuals are fun but since I want to drag race at the track at least once a month during the season I want every advantage I can get. Someday I'll get myself a Corvette or maybe even a Viper and of course it'll be manual but until then I'm gonna have some fun with torque converter technology.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

vipers handlle too much like a fat lady's *** to be sports cars either. . . vette is the only true remaining american sports car.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:04 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtiered
vipers handlle too much like a fat lady's *** to be sports cars either. . . vette is the only true remaining american sports car.
and you know this by personal experience right