Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Already have ORY and want to get headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Already have ORY and want to get headers

I feel like this is a noob question so ill put it here, the guy that had my car before me put the ORY pipe on and i think o2 sims, all the jazz, if i wanna put headers on what will i have to do? just take the manifolds off and the new on? Get new ORY? weld up the joints or put on clamps? Idk.. :/
Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally people put an ORY and o2 sims to accommodate headers. You might already have the headers.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah you would think so! Thats why it confused me alot when i first got it...
Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Chances are, it will be easiest to get a NEW ORY with your headers. Anything but stock headers will probably require reconstruction of the current Y to match up.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you currently have an ORY that works with manifolds it more than likely won't work unless you go with a shorty header. You're better off buying a set of long tubes and ORY and sending your current setup to the classifieds section! Let us know if we can help. We can get you a package w/ everything you will need!

Jon
Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

they put in an ory and left the rest of the exhaust stock? seems like more work than its worth. should of just did the rest of it while they were down there.

i got my headers and ory from Texas-Speed. the only thing i regret is not buying there true duels set up. go with Texas-Speed! you wont regret it
Old 09-13-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah i know! I really dont know why.. i wish i could ask the guy but we had some beef after i bought the car so i cant ask him anything bout it.. Tried figuring it out though. so i cant use it even if i do some fabbing?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

i'm really curious how they set that up, it might help if you took a few pics of it
Old 09-13-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Ah i would but i cant get under it right now really or have a decent camara, there is a 3" i pipe down there too. The reason i could tell in the first place is cause its stainless and doesnt match the rest of the stock parts. The manifolds are clearly there thou.. i can tell cause they look like S!@T lol

Edit: thinking about getting shorties

Second Edit: because shorties would be a direct replacement for mani's and no need to by another y pipe right?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

IMO shorties just aren't worth the money. Just get yourself a set of headers and another ORY and save yourself the headache of trying to make the old Y work. It was the first mod I did to my car, picked up as set of new Hooker LT's w/ ORY don't remember exactly what I paid but I know it wasn't too bad and it was definitely worth the money. Look, feel, and sound great. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Ah i would but i cant get under it right now really or have a decent camara, there is a 3" i pipe down there too. The reason i could tell in the first place is cause its stainless and doesnt match the rest of the stock parts. The manifolds are clearly there thou.. i can tell cause they look like S!@T lol

Edit: thinking about getting shorties

Second Edit: because shorties would be a direct replacement for mani's and no need to by another y pipe right?
Yes my understanding is that there are minimal gains from shorties ~ 3rwhp The stock manifolds flow well for what they are. So shorties are just a waste of money.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Well, long *** time but i finaly got my car on the lift and took some pics to see what the hell is going on under there. Here they are: the first two, are the o2 sensors im pretty sure, and there just unplugged?? I found reciepts for o2 simulators in the car folder that they guy i bought it from.. Anyways i got some codes going, im assuming its from those. Also, of course, the shot of my exhaust up front.. and a leak on the tranny. The car smells like any other gutted car when i step on it, but the guy thought the cats were still fine but since the o2 sensors weren't hooked up it was burning rich and **** was getting throught and u can smell it, He also tells me that headers are a waste of money and so are true duels and the car runs good on stock exhaust.....riiiiight..

Edit: although, i havent seen too much dyno info on stock switchout of exhaust i do have some suspisions when people do headers, td and tune and get around 20-30 when just a good tune can do that cant it? food for thought...fill me in if u got anything.
Attached Thumbnails Already have ORY and want to get headers-left-side-o2.jpg   Already have ORY and want to get headers-right-side-o2.jpg   Already have ORY and want to get headers-exhaust.jpg   Already have ORY and want to get headers-leak.jpg  
Old 01-17-2011, 12:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Did he also say that a V6 would out-run a V8 straight up as well and that's why he only put the ORY on and nothing else? Sounds like you saved a car from an idiot. I mean yeah everything we put on these cars are a waiste since they obviously run without the stuff we ad to them but when the guy says that he put a ORY on and that everything else is a waiste is an idiot in my book. But back the car, is there any lights on on the instrument panel like the "Service Enging Soon" light or anything else?
Old 01-17-2011, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

Haha ya the guy has been in this small *** town too long and has seen to many ricers come and go I think.. Ya ses light and 2 or 3 egr codes. I'm assuming it's those damn o2's. I'm ready to do exhaust. Love the sound of flowmaster but **** it. Im feeling an ORY dump and some headers.. I'm also considering just doing a cut by the y and do a dump myself, I could sell the whole complete exhaust if I left it...at the same the the y ad the muffler are the real only value..
Old 01-17-2011, 04:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Personally and I know your on a budget but I would save up and buy everything new. New headers, new ORY, new piping, new mufflers, new tips, and new O2 sensors. If you buy each piece at a time it won't be that bad and take it all to a muffler shop or somewhere and have them install everything there. Personally I would have it all welded where it needed like the tips, mufflers and the all the piping but have exhaust connectors everywhere else. If you do that, you won't have to worry about the exhaust and the SES lights should go off if thats only where the problems are. If not then it will narrow it down to what is really going on cause then you won't be able to really say it's something with the exhaust cause it's all new unless the exhaust shop did a shitty job or you have a failed part and if so that would only be the O2 sensors.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

^ Yeah i hear ya.. I dunno..Im really thinking about just leaving it or cutting it after the y with a moroso and turndown.. Starting to get more and more tempting. I really like the way FM sounds but i think its restrictive. I dunno ive had it on the car for a year, love it, no rasp just deep, but im ready for something different i guess. I cant imagine its all that free flowing right now
Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Flowmasters are pretty restrictive. Before long, I may try and go for a Magnaflow muffler since there's no money for a whole system or atleast a cat-back.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Am I seeing things? Maybe the meds are kicking in, but you have cats...at least on the drivers side. Your Y is A/M, but not off-road.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Measure twice, cut once.

If you're getting sick of the Flowmaster tone, swap the catback. That will hold you over until you have the funds for a new set of headers and an ORY.

And get that tranny leak worked out too.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Oh yeah, I would check that Fram Oil Filter. Make sure you didn't puncture the black grippy part since there is all that fluid on the trans and in that area. My dad used to believe in them things with a passion and I burnt him of them cause he had a oil wrench and on his jeep, he could only get it on the black grip part of the filter and long story short, he went through three before he got one on after he punctured the black part on the others.