Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine lifting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine lifting?

was lookin at puttin my new motor mounts in this weekend and i read the how to on here or some were and was like ok cant use the board and oil pan trick cause of the oil pick up tube, so i got a friends engine hoist to use then realized and what im asking is, were do u/were would yall hook the hoist too to lift the engine safely with out damaging it or anything else, only has to come up a few inches or less so but i was looking around today and idk, you cant do it from ur headers can u? or whats the easiest way yall have found for puttin in new mounts? thanks guys
Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres no oil pan on it? If you have to lift from the top bolt the hoist to the front of the heads. Is the motor somewhat disassembled?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Teching In

to easy to damage aluminum, lift plate is the only way i would pick it up especially if your not going to drop the transmission, thats alot of weight at the tip of the motor fully dressed with tranny still out back

http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0001009
Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the trans mount is still on its not really a big deal. I would still just put a jack under the oil pan with a board.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Unbolt the oil dipstick tube. There is one single bolt in between the middle two primaries on the right side of the motor. After you unbolt it give it a little tug from the top and have someone kinda pushing it from the bottom and it will pop right out.

We did my motor mounts this past weekend and just put a 2x4 under the oil pant to lift it. Easy as cake.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Oops haha. Wrong tube.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

ive done them on my 87 truck before by board and jack under oil pan but some people were like u cant do that or ull damage ur pick up tube so, pretty much if i put full support on the oil pan so its not just in one spot aka a decent sized board and maybe phone book on top i should be fine? and engine is still together and driving atm, dont plan on taking anything apart to do this imo but
Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

We had the motor on nothing more than a 2x4 across the oil pan for prolly an hour.

No problems whatsoever. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just don't do it like this guy:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...-need-see.html

Old 09-15-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
ya i just saw that and was like well damn lol, ya i plan on using a 2x6 and a small phone book on top of it to help cushion it lol and ight guys thanks, any tip on how to put the mounts actually in too, the how to stuff just says "slide them in"... um ok, was lookin at them today (just came in the mail) and its litterally just the rubber (well poly) part and it said it was the whole mount, so is it like the torque arm mount were it has a metal clamp thing or what? thanks
Old 09-15-2010, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

There clamshell mounts.

Once you get the off of the motor you have to drill out holes in order to get the mounts to open up. This is why your prothane kit comes with bolts to bolt the clamshells back together in the holes you made.

After there open its pretty self explanatory from there.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah it won't hurt your pan at all, just don't put the metal jack on it directly. The pan is structural to the engine and transmission so its a lot stronger than the old stamped steel 350 SBC style.

My suggestion when you do prothane mounts is always to disconnect the pedestals from the K-member too, its relatively easy and gives you a lot more wiggle room and makes it easier to bolt back up when its done as well.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

ight, thanks guys, ya i planned on takin the whole mount out and then switchin the non metal parts around lol, was kinda annoyed cause i saw a pic of the engine mounts by them selfs and then the tranny mount and engine mount set and the kit said "full motor mounts" or something hinting that it was all there like metal and all, like the ones i did on my 87 k5, but then i got them and was like well damn lol, dindt know about the drilling, thanks for the heads up on that, is it pretty straight forward though, probably take like 2-3 hours max to do engine and Tranny mount if i dont run into BS or struggle bad lol
Old 09-16-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ToxicWS6
was lookin at puttin my new motor mounts in this weekend and i read the how to on here or some were and was like ok cant use the board and oil pan trick cause of the oil pick up tube, so i got a friends engine hoist to use then realized and what im asking is, were do u/were would yall hook the hoist too to lift the engine safely with out damaging it or anything else, only has to come up a few inches or less so but i was looking around today and idk, you cant do it from ur headers can u? or whats the easiest way yall have found for puttin in new mounts? thanks guys
The Happy hooker from Tpis is all I would reccomend, http://www.tpis.com/parts/view/67
with this I was able to put my LS back in my Z28 on new mounts BY MY SELF
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-swap-top.html
Good luck

Last edited by Anthony Williams; 09-17-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

well a successful motor mount and tranny mount install has happened only 14hrs later, the driver side mount was ridiculous, any way there in and done and im about to go test drive, thanks all for tips and help