New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idler pulley removal problem - engine chip, help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idler pulley removal problem - engine chip, help!

i had a bad whine under my hood, so i started doing different things to find the problem. the lower belt was whining, so i replaced it, and now there is another, quieter whine. it's not the upper belt, so i figured it had to be the tensioner or the idler pulley.

the auto store only had an idler pulley, so i decided to change that first. somewhere during the install, a piece of the actual engine (the tip that touches the inside of the idler pulley when the pulley is screwed into the engine) chipped off. i don't know if it was loose and came off when i took the pulley off, or if it had already been chipped before i touched it, or if it chipped when i put the new one on (maybe i put it one there too tight - even though it wasn't even hand tightened?)...

anyway, i put the pulley on and it wasn't the problem, and then i put the old one back on and got my money back. the fact that i didn't fix the whine doesn't **** me off nearly as much as the small chip from the actual engine. the chip is about half of the circular outer edge of the engine that touches the inside of the pulley (about .1" in diameter). it's not much metal, but i'm wondering if it will eventually be a problem? the car drives fine, and the belt still runs on the pulley fine, so i'm guessing it's no big deal?

also, is that pulley on a bracket assembly that can be replaced if it does go bad in the future, or is the bracket that the pulley goes on welded to the engine, and i'm pretty much screwed? thanks.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/116348-idler-pulley-whats-wrong.html
Old 01-27-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by locosteelersfan
****, you think that's the problem? i was just reading that thread earlier, and was trying to convince myself that wasn't the issue. it isn't a chirp, it's a consistent whine that seems to go away at higher rpms and lessens when the car warms up. what do ya think? thanks.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's exactly what mine did.
That's why GM changed it.
I've told at least 5 people this same thing
and sure enough it worked.

Saving you the trouble I went through,
I understand your frustration but this made
it totally go away.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

you said it was the belt tensioner on yours though, and not the idler pulley? what year models had they fixed this by? i have a 2000. and it's the idler pulley on the large belt assembly that's right by the alternator? i couldn't exactly tell where you were talking about from the post. thanks again.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

The new setup uses a double row pulley.
It requires a new tensioner and belts also.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by locosteelersfan
The new setup uses a double row pulley.
It requires a new tensioner and belts also.
maybe i'm confused then. so you are saying that a new tensioner (and belts) is required on TOP of a new idler pulley and bracket? why would the tensioner pulley need replacing if the problem is in the idler pulley/bracket?

and what does the little A/C belt have to do with the bigger belt? or is the little A/C belt what you are talking about?

i'm talking about the big belt that runs the power steering, alternator, and water pump - are we still on the same track? the idler pulley on THAT belt is the one i'm having trouble with. i think i'm gonna need more explanation on this until i get it thanks again.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

The different pulley, the double row, uses
different belts which need the different tensioner.

See here
tsb 00-06-01-008
12569529 belt
12563327 bracket
12563326 pulley
12569527 belt

Its a whole new setup.
My GM service program is down or I'd forward all the
info to you. You could try calling your dealer and have
them run the TSB. Is your car still under warranty?
Old 01-27-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

no, unfortunately not i think that's why the last owner sold the car the month the warranty expired...
Old 02-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Teching In

I have that damn problem too. Real bad when its cold then gets a little better. But it is still there. I changed out the tensioner, belt and tensioner pulley but no luck. Next step is Idler I guess. If it dosent work im going to blow it up.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a 99... My problem is my serpentine belt keeps jumping a rib on the power steering pump... I think I need a new belt but is this recall you mention loco something that would fix that?????
Old 03-03-2004, 02:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

My '99 is having the exact same problem... it only started last week. The sound would go away after a few minutes but today w/ the first noticeable rainfall of the year that sucker is loud! It about drove my nuts riding through town a little while ago on my way home from work.

Guess I'll call the dealership tomorrow and give them the TSB # and see if they will cover it under my extended warranty or not. May as well try to get some use out of it
Old 03-03-2004, 05:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Tell them they better cover it.
They can tell you the belt is a wearable
part but you need to replace to match the
new pulley-its a different belt-wear isn't
the issue.

My aftermarket warranty paid so good luck
Old 03-03-2004, 06:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

im gonna order these parts today and hope it solves the problem!
Old 03-03-2004, 07:16 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I have a 98 SS that squeals when cold. Let me know if those parts will solve my problem. Anybody check prices on GMPARTSDIRECT ?
Old 03-03-2004, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

I bought all the parts from gm parts direct and I cant tell the difference in the idler pulley. What exactly makes the two row idler puller different? It looks the same to me. I am going to install the parts this weekend. I didnt get the new belts either. It makes no sense that you would have to replace the ac belt also. The idler pulley doesnt even touch the ac belt. I paid around $50 total for the pulley and alternator bracket.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just ordered them from the dealer, everything but the AC belt was in stock... I figure my car has 80k miles so I might as well change the AC belt even though it doesnt touch it. S thats on order should have it saturday. I dont see any difference in the pulley either.

But anyway, is this update hard to do, about how long does it take?? any tips???

edit: should I have orddered the belt tensioner and pulley for that also?? the belts looks the same to me..
Old 03-03-2004, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
I just ordered them from the dealer, everything but the AC belt was in stock... I figure my car has 80k miles so I might as well change the AC belt even though it doesnt touch it. S thats on order should have it saturday. I dont see any difference in the pulley either.

But anyway, is this update hard to do, about how long does it take?? any tips???

edit: should I have orddered the belt tensioner and pulley for that also?? the belts looks the same to me..
If you never replaced the tensioner I would recommend it. Along with the pulley. Just take your time. Its really easy. Just make sure you can get uderneath the car to remove the alternator bracket.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by IRACE2
If you never replaced the tensioner I would recommend it. Along with the pulley. Just take your time. Its really easy. Just make sure you can get uderneath the car to remove the alternator bracket.
hmm is the tensioner available at pep boys or something?? I dont feel like waiting for the dealer to order it... wanted to get this done this weekend...
Old 03-04-2004, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
hmm is the tensioner available at pep boys or something?? I dont feel like waiting for the dealer to order it... wanted to get this done this weekend...
Nope just the pully is available. Just get it all done and do the tensioner at another time. The tesioner replacement is about a 15 minute job by itself.

Quick Reply: idler pulley removal problem - engine chip, help!