Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RARE 1999 Medium Metallic Blue Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation RARE 1999 Medium Metallic Blue Trans Am

I am new to owning an LS1, i have owned a V6 firebird for 2 years and i have finally gotten my hands on a T/A, turns out, its medium metallic blue which is rare, and i am a UNC fan so it goes well with my clothes. everything is stock on the car except for the decal mods i have made like the overlay decals and pontiac inserts in the back. what would anyone suggest doing to my car first? magnaflow catback? ram-air hood? engine mods? Im new to the muscle car world and need some help please!
Old 09-20-2010, 10:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by TranZam99
what would anyone suggest doing to my car first?
Well that depends, what are your goals and limitations for the car?

Before you start buying mods, it's always best to figure out where you want to eventually be, what compromises you're willing to make (like driveability loss for horsepower, etc.), what requirements have to be met (like MPG or weather), and finally your budget.

Having said that, as a general rule of thumb, most people start with a lid and catback. But even here you need to be thinking ahead, because a catback that might sound good to you now on a stock car might be too loud for your taste if you plan headers/ORY/heads/cam later.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Teching In

yeah thats true i definatley understand what you mean. i just want to go beyond stock in horsepower and the way my car sounds and looks. i dont want the engine to be stock, i want more horsepower and for it to look better but i can always replace headers and stuff to aluminum or something?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plan well now and save money later...
Old 09-20-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah thats true i definatley understand what you mean. i just want to go beyond stock in horsepower and the way my car sounds and looks. i dont want the engine to be stock, i want more horsepower and for it to look better but i can always replace headers and stuff to aluminum or something?
I think you should probably read the stickies on here (they are there for a reason) and they show popular suggestions for what to do for your engine, suspension, transmission, etc. Otherwise just saying you want to make your car look/feel non-stock is pretty general. Looks are pretty much all subjective, and like I said there are guides on here that you should read.

As far as aluminum headers go....you might want to go with steel
Old 09-20-2010, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Like said above, most go with lid/headders/catback... but you will have to choose what you want own your own. Also said above, search and read stickys. They will help the most. I would offer the advice of a tune of some sort. After talking with Frost last week and getting mine dyno tuned by him, most stock LS1s run fairly rich, so a bench tune by him may be a starting point to pull out hidden power.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

start with boltons. but youll want more probably. definitely get a quality LT like KOOKS or ARH.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice color.... Cranmaro on here has a nice MMB car... Sorry you are a a UNC fan their footbal team SUCKS BWAAAAAAH
Old 09-20-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Congrats. I'd love to have a car that color. Your mods depend on what your goals are. If I had the money, I'd lower mine.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

congrats, that's an awesome color!

step 1 for sure is exhaust. step 2 lid/intake. step 3 LT headers.....If the car is an auto then your best bet for immediate results will be to upgrade the torque converter
Old 09-20-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Typically, bolt on parts come first. Those are used to help you engine breathe better and more efficiently. Once you get those down you'll find yourself looking to go internal and that means heads and cam. That's where the real power is at. After that (possibly before, if you plan ahead) would be suspension modifications and/or a rear end upgrade.

The mod bug is one hell of a drug especially if you got the budget for it.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

well congrats on the new purchase and coming to the real fun side of fast cars i just bought my camaro not to long ago but owned a trans am bout 4 years ago... still not the smartest guy on here to talk about this stuff with ... but the basics are easy... most people want exhaust and its a good start to power as well as a lid... go get you an SLP air intake... and some LT's like kooks or pacesetters and get full exhaust... and then you can really start thinking about how much money you wanna put into your car... i have over 6 grand in mine or really close to it haha i lost count after awhile... and im not even close to the point i want my car to be at... its an expensive hobby but very addicting after you start buying things and installing them yourself and what not it gets addicting and extremely fun... esp when the end products makes you go very very fast... and alot of bragging rights amounsts your friends (sorry i cant spell)
Old 09-21-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Junkie

im not gonna repost what everyone has said but i will say congrats on the car though and in the end i do hope it turns out for however you dreamed it would be and another thing dont do anything stupid in the car lol cause yeah its fine to blow or break something but in my case when i got my camaro i was young and dumb and now that i think about i beat myself up everyday because now i gotta replace exterior parts on the car, some are cause of me some aint but still congrats on the car
Old 09-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

haha ya 9whitecamaro9 thats why i dont have my T/A anymore.. i was young and dumb and destroyed it... didnt respect how nice of a car it was and totalled it (along with 3 other cars) but thats neither here or there, But yes deff take care of that car please... its to nice to be mean to
Old 09-21-2010, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

WE DEMAND PICS!!!!! mileage and what you paid for it lmao.. but i would do a lid, LT's ceramic coated atleast PaceSetter LT and TD's..then a tune if you want to squeeze all you can out but i dont think its mandatory..and before you go fast..might want to think about stopping..lotta good sponsors on here who sell practically everything you want/ need.. 6LE comes to mind when it comes to doing ANY visual mods..Tuned by FROST is the first one that comes to mind..and look through the appearance/detailing thread for lots of body mods/wheels/tires/ etc for ideas first..and for the love of god ditch the 10 bolt..that in itself is NOT cheap to keep fixing..but once you get a 12 bolt or a 9" etc..you wont have to worry bout it again..i mean you could mod the hell outta that car but if you cant drive it due to the rear end always grenading..then whats the point?
Be smart w/ your money, search the FS threads/ maby get in on a group purchase/ talk to the sponsors about what you want to do vs. budget and plan accordingly..and be safe.. speed and torque are worse than heroin, meth, vicodin and coke all blended together.. make sure you have the STOP figured out BEFORE you start with all the go fast goodies..
Just my 2 cents tho...
Old 09-21-2010, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

where are the pics???!!!!????!!!!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSmoken
where are the pics???!!!!????!!!!
+1 Lets seem em.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:27 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

'Pics or you're just another Mustang forum troll. Just kidding.

In my opinion blue metallic is one of the only colors that belong on a car as striking as a T/A, so good job. NO T/A is complete without a WS6 hood, so get one as soon as possible. Yeah they cost about $1300 new and prices on ebay can be insane but unrivaled beauty is expensive.

As I'm sure you've noticed, your 10+ year old car is still fast even by today's standards so if I were you I'd concentrate on handling pieces-there's no reason why your '1999 can't party like it's a 2009...
Old 09-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Pics are coming, i washed it yesterday and i am now uploading them. they will be on by the 1 pm eastern time
Old 09-22-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pics are coming, i washed it yesterday and i am now uploading them. they will be on by the 1 pm eastern time
3 hours to upload?!?!?!?! WOW! Lol!

I love medium blue metallic! Can't wait to see pics!

Last edited by egott_91; 09-22-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: RARE 1999 Medium Metallic Blue Trans Am