Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

modding questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question modding questions

What will give me more rwhp out of the three with stock exhaust? I wanna either put cut-outs, UD or a ory? Open to any advise if there is anything that will give me more rwhp. BTW...these will be my first mods.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UD? ory? please explain.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=nolo200;13918161]UD? ory? please explain.[/QUOT

Least costly mod...best bang for the buck. Like I said I'm open to all suggestions.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Cut-outs definitely.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PadenAlbin
Cut-outs definitely.
^X2. an ORY isnt worth it unless you are going to get LTs too
Old 09-27-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PadenAlbin
Cut-outs definitely.
What's your opinion on the UD with the cut-outs?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

I'm personally going to stay away from UD because I've read about some people having issues with voltage... and I like my A/C just the way it is.

You could probably pull off a 10% UD with no noticeable accessory changes... but is that $100+ part really worth a negligible increase?

Additionally, I had my Exhaust done from the stock manifolds back with an ORY through a no-restrictions Magnaflow. I dont really see a cut out benefiting me to much with that setup other than making it sound a lot badder then it actually is. I don't like the stock cat + y-pipe setup, and I feel like my exhaust breathes so much better with a big round 2.5" no Cat pipe into a 3".

I could put long-tube headers on, but the stock manifolds are basically shortys. and only think making that upgrade would be another negligible increase for the money.

So that's what I did, and why. For what money I put into it, it's a great setup for my DD. It sounds tough and is faster then 95% of whats on the road. There's not much more you can do to these LS1's, without doing serious bolt on upgrades like head/cam package, spray, boost, ect. There already really strong out of the box. Be conservative and smart with you're money and just have fun with getting to know your motor...

and if you really want to get to know your motor, try doing Prothane Motor Mounts.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:27 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Out of the 3 you listed there I think a cutout will get you the most HP. But in all honesty, I think it would be best if you saved a little extra cash and got some headers with the ORY. These cars respong really well to headers, usually around 20-30rwhp, and they improve your sound as well. They are also a needed supporting mod if you plan to modify the car more. They are relatively easy to install so I always try and recommend them to anyone as thier first modification.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

So with a good set of headers these cars can gain up to 30 hp?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
Out of the 3 you listed there I think a cutout will get you the most HP. But in all honesty, I think it would be best if you saved a little extra cash and got some headers with the ORY. These cars respong really well to headers, usually around 20-30rwhp, and they improve your sound as well. They are also a needed supporting mod if you plan to modify the car more. They are relatively easy to install so I always try and recommend them to anyone as thier first modification.
I agree. Dont mod your car just to mod it. Everything you listed you will barely feel if at all. There are some cheap options out there when it comes to headers and ORY. Thats my vote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

freeing up your exhaust is your best option. you decide how.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Banned

more air in and more air out!! but plan all your mods. dont waste money on quick HP that you wont use when you complete bigger upgrades in the future. save your money and make logical planned out mods. like headers, exhaust, stall, tune. those alone will bring new life to the car.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by zachrywd_01TA
I'm personally going to stay away from UD because I've read about some people having issues with voltage... and I like my A/C just the way it is.

You could probably pull off a 10% UD with no noticeable accessory changes... but is that $100+ part really worth a negligible increase?

Additionally, I had my Exhaust done from the stock manifolds back with an ORY through a no-restrictions Magnaflow. I dont really see a cut out benefiting me to much with that setup other than making it sound a lot badder then it actually is. I don't like the stock cat + y-pipe setup, and I feel like my exhaust breathes so much better with a big round 2.5" no Cat pipe into a 3".

I could put long-tube headers on, but the stock manifolds are basically shortys. and only think making that upgrade would be another negligible increase for the money.
So that's what I did, and why. For what money I put into it, it's a great setup for my DD. It sounds tough and is faster then 95% of whats on the road. There's not much more you can do to these LS1's, without doing serious bolt on upgrades like head/cam package, spray, boost, ect. There already really strong out of the box. Be conservative and smart with you're money and just have fun with getting to know your motor...

and if you really want to get to know your motor, try doing Prothane Motor Mounts.
you might wanna rethink that comment. I understand its your car for your needs obviously. But there are still gains to be had even with legit shorty headers. Stock manifolds are exactly what they are...STOCK! You can very well see a 20rwhp gain goin w/ longtubes. You are still leaving power on the table be keeping those RESTRICTIVE manifolds on the car. I dunno maybe its just me, but if ima spend the money to make my car perform better, i wanna make sure i get the max amount of performance of the parts i put on it or why else do it.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SStheBest
you might wanna rethink that comment. I understand its your car for your needs obviously. But there are still gains to be had even with legit shorty headers. Stock manifolds are exactly what they are...STOCK! You can very well see a 20rwhp gain goin w/ longtubes. You are still leaving power on the table be keeping those RESTRICTIVE manifolds on the car. I dunno maybe its just me, but if ima spend the money to make my car perform better, i wanna make sure i get the max amount of performance of the parts i put on it or why else do it.
Fair enough, I wont argue with that. For the work I've had done I don't feel bad about not getting anymore work done for the time being.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Is the car paid for? If not, your first mod should be doubling your monthly payment.

Otherwise: Long tubes, intake, 25% UD, exhaust and tune.

I've never had an issue with my A/C or anything else, and I drive all over Europe.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kidreno_21
Is the car paid for? If not, your first mod should be doubling your monthly payment.

Otherwise: Long tubes, intake, 25% UD, exhaust and tune.

I've never had an issue with my A/C or anything else, and I drive all over Europe.
What do you guys think about Pacesetters and an ORY?
Old 09-28-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wicked383lt1
Best bang for the buck out. Look at the new TSP Y. They have redesigned the merge and it is better than the shitty PS merge....
Old 09-28-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wicked383lt1
good choice
Old 10-04-2010, 04:04 AM
Launching!

Just got pacesetters and ory on my z28. Made a World of difference!
Old 10-04-2010, 04:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

id also have to go with cutout. Those mods are pretty cheap and you should be able to find them in the used section. I would purchase all 3..LOL.