Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straight pipe/cutout

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight pipe/cutout

Wasup guys, I have a question would i lose power if i go straight pipe. If i go straight pipe i'm planning on putting a electric cutout. Right now i have a 80 serious flowmaster is to damn quite..
Old 10-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got mids, ory, and a straight pipe.

Made 326rwhp and 347rwtq. Just figures to throw out for you.....
Old 10-19-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whenever you unrestrict the exhaust system you will gain power.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Teching In

my car has longtubes pacesetters
Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

why do you wanna put a e-cutout with straight pipes?
Old 10-19-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

E-cutout with straight pipes?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thegodfather899
why do you wanna put a e-cutout with straight pipes?
Originally Posted by Greekey
E-cutout with straight pipes?
I believe he means that by putting on a cutout it is the same thing as a straight pipe, and he's keeping the Flowmaster.

Just FYI a straight piped car sounds NOTHING like a car with a cutout and a catback. It's weird but it's true, and I know from personal experience. Straight piped LS1s sound like absolute ****. I drove for a couple days with no muffler while I was struggling to get my Magnaflow catback to fit correctly; it's my only car so I had to drive it that way. It was the nastiest sounding thing... like the old lifted redneck trucks that are all too common in my hick town. On the other hand, the cutout before the Magnaflow sounds awesome... not quite as sexy as true duals or a GMMG but for a good DD setup on a budget it fits the bill.

And to answer the OP's question, no, you will not lose any power. You will gain power with a cutout, especially over a Flowmaster catback.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Latch
I believe he means that by putting on a cutout it is the same thing as a straight pipe, and he's keeping the Flowmaster.

Just FYI a straight piped car sounds NOTHING like a car with a cutout and a catback. It's weird but it's true, and I know from personal experience. Straight piped LS1s sound like absolute ****. I drove for a couple days with no muffler while I was struggling to get my Magnaflow catback to fit correctly; it's my only car so I had to drive it that way. It was the nastiest sounding thing... like the old lifted redneck trucks that are all too common in my hick town. On the other hand, the cutout before the Magnaflow sounds awesome... not quite as sexy as true duals or a GMMG but for a good DD setup on a budget it fits the bill.

And to answer the OP's question, no, you will not lose any power. You will gain power with a cutout, especially over a Flowmaster catback.
Thanks for the info, is there a other type of flowmaster besides the 80 serious, can I put a 40 serious in it ?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 0080ws6
Thanks for the info, is there a other type of flowmaster besides the 80 serious, can I put a 40 serious in it ?
Honestly I don't know the answer to that, the problem with our cars is the way our muffler sits is unusual; it's a single inlet muffler with dual outlets meant to mimic the look of dual exhaust. Not many cars have that exhaust setup, so universal mufflers like the 40 series don't work unless you're willing to ditch the dual tailpipes.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and get an electric cutout, and keep the Flowmaster. Once you get a cutout you'll appreciate the ability to have a nice quiet exhaust when the po-po pulls up next to you at a red light.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:36 AM
12 Second Club

some redneck who had my car before me hacked off the muffler on an otherwise stock car. i put longtubes and ORY on it and it was just rediculous. it sounded stupid loud in the car, and even more stupid when i heard it go down the road from a block away. it's not even a nice sound, it's an obnoxious, unrefined belch coming from the pipes everywhere you go. and made my ears ring after long drives on the highway. and forget about any and all conversation while under ANY acceleration. so glad i got a cat-back on it now! if you must get a cutout, do yourself a favor and keep some sort of muffler back there!
Old 10-20-2010, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whitedevilWS6
it's an obnoxious, unrefined belch coming from the pipes everywhere you go.
^ That's a great way to explain the sound, gave me a laugh as well.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Launching!

First off Flowmasters are garbage and sound like ****, my car has one right now, and second off i put a cutout on my car and they make it run a hell of alot better, but they too sound like ****, i cant decide which resonates worse on the freeway, the flowmaster with the cutout closed or the cutout open. my recommendation would be to save your money on the electric cutout and get a good cat-back then later get a cutout.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JM0523
First off Flowmasters are garbage and sound like ****, my car has one right now, and second off i put a cutout on my car and they make it run a hell of alot better, but they too sound like ****, i cant decide which resonates worse on the freeway, the flowmaster with the cutout closed or the cutout open. my recommendation would be to save your money on the electric cutout and get a good cat-back then later get a cutout.
Yea I think I am going to save my money and just get myself a better cat-back cause i been seeing and hearing a lot of bad thing of flowmaster. So I think i am goin to get the magnaflow cat-back instead. Whats the difference of just buying a magnaflow muffer then the whole cat-back, in sounding wise and performance.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Launching!

You will get more performance out of a catback, if you think the flowmaster is too quiet you really will probably not care much for the magnaflow, I would look into the SLP Loudmouth, its probably a little cheaper than the magnaflow and is going to sound a lot more agressive without being overly obnoxious
Old 10-20-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

See my sig for numbers, cutout vs flowmaster, didnt really lose much with the flowmaster. I would have some sort of muffler and get an electric cutout, that way you can be quiet if need be or want to be.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Launching!

So what did you end up going with?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Teching In

I ended up goin with magna flow
Old 11-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Teching In

How does the magna flo compare to your old flowmasters? Any sound clips of the new set up?
Old 11-24-2010, 03:11 AM
TECH Regular

Ive had both. My 01 camaro had a flowmaster on it when i bought it. That day, i took it to a muffler shop and had it cut off. Flowmaster IMO, is the worst muffler ever. I then put pacesetter headers on the car followed buy SLP loudmouth. I twas WAY to loud and annoying. So then I bought the trueduals from Texas Speed. By FAR the best money I spent. Right now I have a 00 TA with longtubes and a magnaflow cat back. I just bought the car so I am not sure if I like it or not. It doesnt sound bad, but I have been out of the game since 2008. I will probably go back to TD's. BUT magnaflow sounds 100% better than flowmaster IMO.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:52 AM
TECH Regular

Go magnaflow FTW, can not go wrong.

Check out my set-up...

Quick Reply: Straight pipe/cutout