Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lt1 or ls1? help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Always hear about the people who never have trouble from the opti, but all 3 lt1 cars I've been around have had tons.

One guy replaced his 3 times in the same damn year.

It's not a cheap fix either. Especially if you factor in the towing bills and the fact they are a pain in the *** to change.
It sounds like this guy needs to learn how to install an opti right the first time. They don't go bad like that and they really aren't that hard to change. My factory opti lasted 145000 miles. I get tired of hearing people use the opti to turn people away from LT1s. An LS1 is a superior motor naturally. It's newer than the LT1 with more technology in it, but that doesn't make an LT1 a piece of ****.

An LT1 has a lot of potential for building trust me. Build an LS1 to the max and then build an LT1 to the max and the LS1 wins, but how many people buy them to do this? I think you can build an LT1 a lot cheaper though!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroZ28_LS1
my 01 313whp and 325Torque - mustang dyno
my 98 Z28 around 280whp and 285 torque. - dyno dynamics

modded/dyno numbers your right, they are not relevant. But my m6 was still much faster stock for stock. I don't believe that the cams made that much of a difference anyways. Maybe 10hp?
In your case, stock dyno numbers and stock performance comparisons are not relevant either, because one was an A4 and the other an M6.

The cam difference is at least as significant as the head difference (only thing different about the heads is the casting method, nothing major).
Old 11-19-2010, 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Kev SS
I know 98s had more of an aggresive stock cam in it..but was not aware of differant injectors???
Yep, '98s and '01+ had larger injectors than '99-'00.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

mod for mod depending upon quality an aggressiveness by that meaning heads cam an intake, nitrous or boost. they seem to be pretty much neck to neck. But lt1s don't have a aftermarket block that is easily obtainable like the lsx ppl do or as large of a aftermarket. Ls motor are also easier to tune an have better engine management till recently we didn't have access to that unless u consider xfi or dfi. Now that we can run the ls computers an coils it opens a whole new door. obviously the ls1 motor is newer technology but to me weather its better or not is a matter of opinion an over here it is very biased. But ether way it get completely annoying seeing the lt1 get flamed for its opti almost everything ive read on here is BS about it. I mean really is that the only thing you have to knock the lt1 for it really seems so, the opti aint that bad at all. now i realize why i hardly use this site.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
That's normally the issue, people that haven't owned them spread the rumors or over exaggerate the impact of the differences. Like I always say, as a person that's owned every model year (except 2001), there is no single year that's best overall for everyone - they all have some positives and negatives compared to other years. Depending on your goals and preferances, any year could be better than another.
Yes I have no experience with 98's, but I have friends that do... Im just reporting what they have experienced with there 98's... What rumor did I spread btw?? I think we both agree here that stock for stock the 01-02 cars are a little better. If your planning on modding as most do, then that gets thrown out the window... moving on!!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by badass383formula96
mod for mod depending upon quality an aggressiveness by that meaning heads cam an intake, nitrous or boost. they seem to be pretty much neck to neck. But lt1s don't have a aftermarket block that is easily obtainable like the lsx ppl do or as large of a aftermarket. Ls motor are also easier to tune an have better engine management till recently we didn't have access to that unless u consider xfi or dfi. Now that we can run the ls computers an coils it opens a whole new door. obviously the ls1 motor is newer technology but to me weather its better or not is a matter of opinion an over here it is very biased. But ether way it get completely annoying seeing the lt1 get flamed for its opti almost everything ive read on here is BS about it. I mean really is that the only thing you have to knock the lt1 for it really seems so, the opti aint that bad at all. now i realize why i hardly use this site.
Quit lying to yourself bro, the opti does suck... Mainly for its location! It can be reliable, but Its hit or miss... mostly because of quality control when it comes time for a replacement. I owned a lt1 car for 9yrs, so I have plenty of experience with one. The ls1 is a better platform but again the lt1 can keep up. The opti is not the only thing to flame... the lt1 pcm blows ***, especially on the obd2 lt1's like I had. Tuning software is ancient and dated... Not to mention you cant find hardly anybody to tune one. I agree the ls pcm/coil swap is a huge leap for the lt1's... If I had kept mine, thats would of been my next mod.

The average lt1 heads/cam 383 makes 400-420whp. The average lsx motor using a factory 6.0 block with ported 243's make 470-500whp, and there is very little price difference between 2 builds... Idk seems like a no brainer to me! AES racing has a 427 forged short block (3500)... add a set of tsp stage 1 243's(1200), used fast 90(600), and a custom grind cam(350). Thats a solid 500whp+ combo for the same price of a ltx 383... The lt's are actually more to build if you step up to converted sbc2 heads, single plane, 4150 tb etc...
Old 11-19-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Quit lying to yourself bro

The average lt1 heads/cam 383 makes 400-420whp. The average lsx motor using a factory 6.0 block with ported 243's make 470-500whp, and there is very little price difference between 2 builds... Idk seems like a no brainer to me! AES racing has a 427 forged short block (3500)... add a set of tsp stage 1 243's(1200), used fast 90(600), and a custom grind cam(350). Thats a solid 500whp+ combo for the same price of a ltx 383... The lt's are actually more to build if you step up to converted sbc2 heads, single plane, 4150 tb etc...
I normally ignore most the LT1 hate but this is one dumb *** post. Wow
Old 11-19-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got rid of my LT1 today after I finally found a dealer who would trade me for a LS1. During the two and a half years I had it, I had three optis (actually four, but one was an eBay counterfeit so that one doesn’t count). I replaced one myself but the other three were replaced by professional mechanics, including one by a dealer and two by speed shops. This all on a car that only had 62k miles on it when I bought it and it only had 73k when I got rid of it. The ONE time I took it through a drive-thru car wash resulted in one of the opti replacements and one was due to driving in a heavy rain. I only put 10k miles on it because I never trusted it after one opti left me stranded 150 miles from home.

For anyone thinking about buying a LT1, do a search on any of the F-Body forums and then make your decision. Some people have no problems and say the opti is a good design despite being placed directly under the water pump and directly in the line of any splashed water, but there are a LOT of folks who aren’t so luck. I did my research before I bought my LT1, but I was hard-headed and bought one anyway (I like the looks of the LT1 Camaro better than the LS1) despite recommendations to spend the extra $$$ for a LS1.

I considered the EFI Connection coil pack conversion, but for the cost, I figured I just cut my losses and get a LS1.

Not trying to start a LT1-bashing thread...just relaying my experience. There were other issues with this car that I didn't find out about until I bought it so maybe I had an abused car. I'm hoping my experience with my new LS1 is better.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i will put my .2 in here, lt1's in general are cheaper to mod and cheaper for parts, both engines can reach the 500hp mark for arnd the same price from what i have seen, but even after that whats the point of having a street car with that much power, it comes down to personal preferance, both can be fast, and both are fun, ls1 is newer and better, but the lt1 is by no means a bad motor.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chavez885
The majority of this guys posts are ******* retarded. I have read many post from this guy
Old 11-19-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chavez885
aww dont get mad because its true... my post was not hating on the lt1 at all? Maybe your comprehension is off a bit... Anyways let me try to clear this up. I was comparing a ls factory block/ head build vs lt factory block/ head build. Anyways my forged 383 lt build ran me about 6k-7k... Thats about what you would have in that 427 from aes I mentioned... whats so dumb about that?

Last edited by kinglt-1; 11-19-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BruceBufferTA
The majority of this guys posts are ******* retarded. I have read many post from this guy
You never seem to have anything techincal to add in this forum...why do you read so many of my posts if they are so f*****g retarded? Man your a bright one huh?

Last edited by kinglt-1; 11-19-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Teching In

aww dont get mad because its true... my post was not hating on the lt1 at all? Maybe your comprehension is off a bit... Anyways let me try to clear this up. I was comparing a ls factory block/ head build vs lt factory block/ head build. Anyways my forged 383 lt build ran me about 6k-7k... Thats about what you would have in that 427 from aes I mentioned... whats so dumb about that?
Judging by the mods in your signature there are plenty and I mean plenty of LT1s even on this site that would hand you your ***. Keep modding and then start talking ****! Everyone knows that the almighty LS motor is better, but just not yours!!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by *CAMARO*
Judging by the mods in your signature there are plenty and I mean plenty of LT1s even on this site that would hand you your ***. Keep modding and then start talking ****! Everyone knows that the almighty LS motor is better, but just not yours!!

Nobody's talkin **** but you... I don't think my car is fast at all... I just bought it last year. If you could read, you would of seen my post about owning a lt1 car for 9yrs.... It was a 1996 z28 m6, fully forged 383, ported lpe heads/intake, custon 230/236 cam, built m6, spec 3 clutch, full boltons... Put down 400whp... Loved the car! Just wanted somethin new... came across this ls1 for a deal and the rest is history... Im not sure why Im even responding to mindless noobs like yourself!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are a bunch of uneducated LS1 nut swinger in here. maybe you should STFU if you have never owned a LT1. hell if it wasnt for the LT1 there would be no LS1. and it looks like the WS6 he is lookin at is a great deal. every tom dick and harry has a LS1 these days. a clean low miles LT1 would be great to have. i for one love having a LT1 that will bitch slap most the LS1s with in 100 miles of me. the look on their faces when they get their asses handed to em but a junk LT1 with an opti is priceless! iv had my car since 06 drove it in the rain to many times to count, and been through car washes that spray the underside. and the only problem iv had with my opti is that i fucked up and put it on wrong when i put the new cam in. the stock opti was in the car up to 127xxx miles. so if the opti is the only thing the uneducated LS1 nut swingers have to say is bad bout the LT1 well it dont sound too bad. and its notlike changing one is goin to take a week to do. hell if u have any clue as to what you are doin it shouldnt take more then a few hrs at most. and on a side note man im glad my car dont sound like it spun a bearing every time i start it up cold.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hahahahahah
Old 11-19-2010, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another thing i love is when someone builds or talk bout building a "LS1" changing to a 6.0, 5.3 and so forth is a must. god forbid they have to use the block that came in their car. guess what the LT1 is an iron block, and the factory LT1 block has been 8.0s in the 1/4 mile.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i guess you can say we do pretty well with the original blocks that came with the car huh?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I think we both agree here that stock for stock the 01-02 cars are a little better. If your planning on modding as most do, then that gets thrown out the window.
No, I do not agree. I would agree that the '01+ is a tad bit faster stock for stock, but not better overall, at least not for my personal goals. Stuff like the piston slap and bubbling roof on my '02 can't be fixed with basic modding, but my '98 does not suffer from these conditions.

Oh, and too much LT1 vs LS1 bitching going on here. This one is done.