Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hope i didnt mess anything up

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hope i didnt mess anything up

put a new power steering pump on my 2000 ws6 tonight cause i lost 100% power steering at once about 3 days ago, well went through put it on and all that good stuff, used GM/ford rated off the pepboys shelf power steering fluid in it (if this is the wrong **** just finish reading plz, kinda address it again at the buttom why i say this now) started it up and left to right 30 times, it worked np, a little hard at idle but touch the pedal and easy as can be, AWESOME! its fixed, well i left it idling as i topped off my coolant from when i disconnected a hose, wiped stuff down, been say, 5 mins or so, get back in, i have now about 50% power steering unless i hold it at about 2.5kRPMs or higher, wtf? so i back it out and left right some more etc gets worse to the point i dont have power steering anymore, i shut off check everything recheck fluid levels, WTF nothing, so took it on a drive around the block to see if it would help, nothing, came back mad so let it sit grabbed dinner with some friends came back chilled then went to go home and mess with it in the morning, about 3-4 hours after i drove/started it last, i drove off with no power steering, about a min into the drive i regain 100% power steering back, awesome its fully bleed or something idk but after about 2 more mins back to no power steering for the rest of the ride home, was searching and looking around and noticed every one is sayin use ATF... did i **** my new pump up by putting power steering fluid in it and not ATF? can i flush it all out and put ATF in it and save it if this is the problem? should i put ATF in it or do i have another problem first? sorry for length but, appreciate the help, thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 01:59 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I've never used ATF in the power steering system. I've always used dedicated power steering fluid. Sounds like you may still have air in the lines.

What happened to take out the original pump? Did you inspect the power steering cooler and make sure it's not leaking coolant into the pump?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

I've never used ATF in the power steering, so I doubt you screwed it up by using PS fluid in the PS system... Haven't had to replace my pump, but did replace the rack recently and it took some time to bleed all the air out, which it doesn't sound like you did from your story.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I replaced my pump the instructions said to bleed it by turning it back and forth lock to lock like he did...
Old 12-01-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
When I replaced my pump the instructions said to bleed it by turning it back and forth lock to lock like he did...
ya thats what my instructions said too, im gunna ether try and bypass the cooler and see if it helps or just flush the whole system by pullin reservoir hose into pot and just dumping power steering fluid into the reservoir at idle to pump through rack and all till it comes out clear, its dirty looking like, brown ish but not really milky brown or anyhting like a blown head gasket looks type of thing but, any suggestions on how to bleed it better then? or how to check for clogs is my other thought. it worked fine as soon as i installed so : \ thanks guys
Old 12-01-2010, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Ah sorry - I must have mis-read or just missed it completely when I read it originally
Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Head Hunter
Ah sorry - I must have mis-read or just missed it completely when I read it originally
its ight, and got in the car this morning to take it up to the shop, power steering worked fine, srive it around al lday today, works great : \ think my cars possessed, its done random things before too lol