New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie that needs help from the Vette's.???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Newbie that needs help from the Vette's.???

I have a 2000 Trans Am that is straight stock. Only a set of high flow shorty headers and complete exhaust w/40 series flowmaster muffler. I have a WS9 ram air high rise hood with carbon fiber whisper lid. K&N Filter.

My Radiator blew up about a week ago and my AC went out a year ago. This is not my daily driver so with all the extra stuff off the engine I can pretty much get in there easier now, so why not do the mods now.

I have a friend that has a set of heads ($400) from a C5 Z06 Vette (243/WS6). What would be the HP gain for this upgrade. It does have double coil springs though. Not sure of their part number though.

Also Adding a Cam kit but not sure how to go on that either.

What about the intake someone told me Weiland makes a good one but what exactly is a "good one"?

What #pound# injectors would I buy.

Does a Mass air flow sensor really need to be changed also?

Really looking to spend about 2K, if possible. I think that if I purchase some of the items as used or unneeded it would save $$$
Old 12-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas-Firehawk
I have a 2000 Trans Am that is straight stock. Only a set of high flow shorty headers and complete exhaust w/40 series flowmaster muffler. I have a WS9 ram air high rise hood with carbon fiber whisper lid. K&N Filter.

My Radiator blew up about a week ago and my AC went out a year ago. This is not my daily driver so with all the extra stuff off the engine I can pretty much get in there easier now, so why not do the mods now.

I have a friend that has a set of heads ($400) from a C5 Z06 Vette (243/WS6). What would be the HP gain for this upgrade. It does have double coil springs though. Not sure of their part number though.

Also Adding a Cam kit but not sure how to go on that either.

What about the intake someone told me Weiland makes a good one but what exactly is a "good one"?

What #pound# injectors would I buy.

Does a Mass air flow sensor really need to be changed also?

Really looking to spend about 2K, if possible. I think that if I purchase some of the items as used or unneeded it would save $$$
A set up LS6 casting will bump the power a little as the Combustion Chamber is smaller and it is a excellent head for which to build power on for LS1 based motors. I would be wary though on valve springs as from what you described has been changed but depending how many miles and how they were used, you are often better off getting a spring kit matched to the cam which any quality cam guy can recommend.

I do not recommend Wieland or BBK on LS1 motors due to a few factors, #1) Weight, compared to a used LS6 (which is avalible on C5 Z06 cars and 01+ Fbodies, as well as 2004 GTO's) are lighter, make great power over LS1's and can be had. Increasing weight at the front of the car decreases performance and unless you running big Nitrous or FI PSI is a concern, a plain old LS6 is fine and can befound for about 250-350 depending on the seller.

Mass air Meter stock is fine, if it has a the mesh in it, its fine or if its out, its ok, but no need for after market.

Injectors are based on needs of the engine, run some calculators, I know the poundage is less then 2002's but I would think running at around 400 to tires you should fine with a good tuner.

A honest to god cam swap should run you around 1,000 between parts, fluids/gaskets, valve train (hardend push rods and springs). Dyno tune is often 400ish dollars.

Quick List:

- Cam
- Springs
- Pushrods
- Dyno Tune
- Timing Chain
- Oil Pump
- Gaskets for front timing chain cover and crank snout seal
- Fluids (oil, coolant, grease)
- Tools (for valve spring change, and rods to hold up the lifters, borrow, buy, make)

If the heads have Patriot Dual Gold Springs, Low milage, and Ti (read titanium) retainers, then that should be a very good deal but if still has steel, then I would consider using your stockers and putting springs on while the heads are still in the car. Cheaper and just as reliable.

LS6 head will inc power a little but a little work on them would not hurt.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

If you have the heads picked out, I'd add an LS6 intake off an 01-02 T/A and then get a custom grind cam from Patrick G that will match your specific setup. You may also want to dump the Shorty's and get Longtubes but that's just me.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

The Heads have 3000 mile on them and then he changed them to some AFR's or something like that.

Wll all that together is about 2k thanks for the tip.

Last question is on the Cam as I want something that will kick this thing into lightspeed.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Internet Mechanic

The Heads have 3000 mile on them and then he changed them to some AFR's or something like that.

Wll all that together is about 2k thanks for the tip.

Last question is on the Cam as I want something that will kick this thing into lightspeed.
Talk with Pat G and/or EPS, a sponsor, some good grinds have been coming out lately.

BUT you do need to define what the car is used for, and drive train etc etc.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

I am thinking of going with the ***** thumpa from Comp Cams. Any success stories on going from stock to this?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Internet Mechanic

Search the Dyno Section, look for some results.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great deal on the heads,maybe have the springs tested for pressure.and maybe do a valve job.get a ls6 intake for $300 or less.check the ls vette forums for these parts also.you can use your stock injectors and MAF.EPS has great cams designs,the 222/226 113 lsa mite net you 410 rwhp with a good tuner.check the dyno sections for EPS cams results.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Talking

I got the C5 ZO6 intake last night from craigslist for $175.00.

Just need to get the Cam kit.

Originally Posted by garygnu
great deal on the heads,maybe have the springs tested for pressure.and maybe do a valve job.get a ls6 intake for $300 or less.check the ls vette forums for these parts also.you can use your stock injectors and MAF.EPS has great cams designs,the 222/226 113 lsa mite net you 410 rwhp with a good tuner.check the dyno sections for EPS cams results.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Internet Mechanic

I got the C5 ZO6 intake last night from craigslist for $175.00.

Just need to get the Cam kit.
Just double chk the part # when you get it. Let me know I can do it for you.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

it was off a 2003 Z06 Vette.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Launching!

it was off a 2003 Z06 Vette.
Seems awful cheap for an LS6 manifold, if it in fact really is one then you got a really good deal, check with Texas Speed on cams.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Launching!

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=680&catid=15

there is a heads and cam package for $1500.00 and you get to pick exactly what you want.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

Exclamation

Originally Posted by JM0523
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=680&catid=15

there is a heads and cam package for $1500.00 and you get to pick exactly what you want.
I was just looking there last night since my fantacy football team tanked last night. I have the LS6 heads with 918 springs on it. I only need the cam now.

Can I use my same rods and rockers or does that need to be updated as well?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

Dang... and I thought I got a good deal on my LS6 intake... that's a steal.

Have you talked to Patrick G yet about getting a custom grind cam? With the Heads, Intake, and Exhaust already established, he can build a cam specifically for your setup that maximizes the parts you've already put on it. I'd also look at a MS3 or MS4 (Magic Stick) from Texas Speed.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Internet Mechanic

I was just looking there last night since my fantacy football team tanked last night. I have the LS6 heads with 918 springs on it. I only need the cam now.

Can I use my same rods and rockers or does that need to be updated as well?
You need to verify if #1 the cam you decide to run will work with the springs and if you have stock push rods, they need to be measured and replaced with hardened. Stock rockers are fine. Just make sure none have spilled out the bearings (which you would see when changing the oil).

IF you can run 918's and they are used, just spring for a new set. Look at PAC as those tend to be the best one to run. I use a newer Comp Cam 918's but they have had issues in the past so its a personal choice.

The intake price if it is a LS6 is a steal, you could resell and get 300-325 easy and make money. But thats why I say check the part # before taking ownership.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

I am not sure, I dont know who Patrick G is but your not the first person to talk to me about Texas Speed. They look like they have a great deal on upgraded parts kit.

Tony the guy I got the intake from pulled up in his 2003 Vette.
He swapped his out for a FAST one. (that was a mean machine)

The Springs have less than 3000 miles on them as well as the heads. Come together as a set all ready to go for $400 bucks. (purchased!!!).
"Tiger Lucas Car Care" shop on Grant in Cypress builds what ever he wants. He has a 1,000HP Chevy SSR, Ferrari 355 Spyder an Audi A8 And A Lamb Merceligio I do know how he chooses which one he wants to drive but I do know the SSR is their go get the parts pick up car. He installed my Headers and did a great job and even gave me the upgraded gaskets because he just happen to have them laying around.

The deal is have basically $2K
Intake 175.00
Heads W/ Springs 400.00
MS4 Cam 375.00
Rods 110.00
Rockers 260.00
LS2 Chain 42.00
Leaves $ 638.00

Am I missing Something?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

answering questions.

Here is the part number off the intake manifold i got for $175.00.

PT# 12573572.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 AM
11 Second Club

answering questions.

PT# 12573572.
According to this you did indeed get an LS6 Corvette zo6 intake manifold.

As for Patrick G, he's a board sponsor/admin who is in South Texas and has a great reputation. He also owns a 500rwhp H/C Trans Am that he built that you can get more info on here.

The deal is have basically $2K
Intake 175.00
Heads W/ Springs 400.00
MS4 Cam 375.00
Rods 110.00
Rockers 260.00
LS2 Chain 42.00
Leaves $ 638.00

Am I missing Something?

Have you already upgraded the oil pump?

Are you "locked" on keeping the Shorty Headers? You can pick up some Pacesetter Longtubes for $200 and they'll flow much better (IMO) - with the setup you're putting together, I imagine your exhaust will be quite restrictive.

I didn't see in the OP, but are you M6 or A4?

You'll definately need to save $300-400 for a good tuner which pretty much takes up your remaining budget

Last edited by Head Hunter; 12-08-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Internet Mechanic

answering questions.

PT# 12573572.
http://www.c5help.com/partnumbers.htm

You got it, that was definitly a steal.

As for whats left, Dynotune, generally its 350-450$

Oil Pump (search for a ported LS6)

Also gearing and possible TQ converter upgrade as MS4 NEEDS it.