Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 tear down tommorrow, first tear down on Ls

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 05:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 tear down tommorrow, first tear down on Ls

So I am 17 and I have been working on cars all of my life, yesterday a buddy was driving my car and from in fifth he missed fourth and landed in second, killed the motor, had to crank it over for like 10 sec. to start, then it started finally and has a really strong knock coming from mainly the #1 cylinder from the header. He is going to pay for this, and tomorrow im going to tear into it, even though I'm seventeen I have torn for and rebuilt about 3 motors, But never Fuel Injection, and Ls. So is there anything I should really know about, any tips tricks or advice? I appreciate anything guy's
Old 12-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GL! Tearing down this motor isn't as hard as I thought to be. Just time consuming. Follow the torque specs when assembling back together and it's sequence is important.

Use the LS1howto.com for instructions.

Friends don't let stupid friends drive their camaro/trans am.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the input man, ya I learned the hard way, lets just say, no one that I know will be driving my car for a very long time...
Old 12-04-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you need to completely rebuild it? I bet he just bent a couple pushrods if it sounds like it is by the header. Unless you want to rebuild the entire motor, I would take a look at the pushrods first and see if you can get away with replacing those.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Are you sure you need to completely rebuild it? I bet he just bent a couple pushrods if it sounds like it is by the header. Unless you want to rebuild the entire motor, I would take a look at the pushrods first and see if you can get away with replacing those.
Or it could be a valve...

Usually when people string out a motor like that they will bend a valve everytime. I've seen it on mustangs, toyotas, etc....
Old 12-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

I am not planning on rebuilding it, Im about 4 hours into trying to get it out, so many sensors and just unkown, quite intimadating when you have worked on nothing earlier then 92, I just want to see what wrong on the internals, get everything looked over by a machinist and throw whatever parts need to be thrown at it. Then throw her back in, so far this is taking a lot longer then I expected
Old 12-05-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fire120ball
I am not planning on rebuilding it, Im about 4 hours into trying to get it out, so many sensors and just unkown, quite intimadating when you have worked on nothing earlier then 92, I just want to see what wrong on the internals, get everything looked over by a machinist and throw whatever parts need to be thrown at it. Then throw her back in, so far this is taking a lot longer then I expected
just take your time and keep working at it, its gonna be rewarding once you get the hang of it. its taking u a long time cause its ur first time. where are u starting first btw once you have the engine torn down?
Old 12-05-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Good luck

Quick Reply: Ls1 tear down tommorrow, first tear down on Ls