Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what the hec?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what the hec?

Any help would be appreciated.I thought my engine was blown (headgaskets ,pistons, rings etc..)I had a rough idle and it was making some nasty sounds .I had done a comp check and it came out lower on the passenger side like 150psi but I did it on a low battery.Well after sitting in my driveway since september I finally fired her up again yesterday after a oil change and the knocking sound coming from the engine before was quiter and the engine wasn't shaking any more than normal I did however got some light smoke from the back of the engine and it smelled like water and my eyes stung and started to water what do you guys think it is a blown exhaust gasket I have atap but no laptop yet thanks in advance
Old 02-07-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

You may have a blown head gasket. It could be getting in the oil and the combustion chamber. The dexcool is some nasty stuff when it burns. It has a sweet smell to it.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98SS Blackattack
You may have a blown head gasket. It could be getting in the oil and the combustion chamber. The dexcool is some nasty stuff when it burns. It has a sweet smell to it.
that might be it xcept my oil pressure is great I turned it on again today and drove it around the block the knocking got louder as the car warmed up and it started surging and stumbling(hesitating) bad when I gave it gas.but it never over heated or dropped in oil pressure and past 3000 rpm it just seemed normal
Old 02-10-2004, 11:16 PM
Launching!

You can still have a blown head gasket and still make good oil pressure, I've had it happen. Id try a leak down test on the cylinders instead of just a compression, it'll tell you more without all the other variables that can come into play. You can buy one for around 75 bucks or even make your own...just do a search on like yahoo and there is a couple sites that'll tell you all bout them. Just make sure the cylinder's at TDC or the valves won't be closed and the air will just rush right out.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Headgasket= knocking????????????

Sounds like internal noise. Try this:
Warm up the car
shut it off
unhook # 1 plug wire and start the car , does the noise get better, does it get worse. repeat this on all 8 cylinders. If unhooking a wire causes the noise to go away then its likely a bearing, if it get worse then its likely piston slap, cracked skirt, ring ext.

Did you get any water out with the oil, after sitting it should have come out water first then oil. Try pulling the plugs are any wet of damage?
Old 02-10-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

None of the plugs were damaged and there was no water that I noticed in the oil or oil in the coolent.A few of the plugs were dark though and smelled like gas (runnin rich??)I'll try to do a leakdown test and the plug wire thing later this week and see what I find.Oh and I also heard the sound was louder from the driver side,almost sounded like an extreme kind of exhaust leak
Old 02-11-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I also forgot to mention that it smoked from the rear of the engine :o