New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lucas oil stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004 | 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default lucas oil stabilizer

Hey guys, i used this once before but i dont think i put enough in.. im pretty sure u ad 5 quarts of regualr oil then 1 quart of this stuff? is that correct? if not should it be more or less?
Old 02-07-2004 | 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

All this stuff does is thicken your oil, so why are you using it? You're better off going with a slightly thicker oil instead. This stuff is chock full of viscosity index improvers, which means you're more likely to sludge up your motor in the long run if you continue to use it.
Old 02-07-2004 | 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm wondering - should Patman get an 'Oil Expert' notation under his name? I think so...
Old 02-07-2004 | 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

why not buy good oil to begin with?
Old 02-07-2004 | 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh i do buy good oil, i have seen tests and it really does carry the oil up higher throught the engine, also when i have been using the lucas oil stabilizer my oil consumption has decreased
Old 02-07-2004 | 03:51 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Since our engines use 5.5 quarts, you only put 4.5 of the regular stuff, and then add the Lucas.
Old 02-07-2004 | 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

what does everyone think of the stabilizer though? should i use it or not ?
Old 02-07-2004 | 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

I use it and have had good results not only in the engine but in the 12 bolt. I add it to 0-40 Mobil in the engine and Redline Synthetic in the rearend.
Patman has made the same comment before, but from my experience....use it!
Old 02-07-2004 | 06:38 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by BLUEBYU
I use it and have had good results not only in the engine but in the 12 bolt. I add it to 0-40 Mobil in the engine and Redline Synthetic in the rearend.
Patman has made the same comment before, but from my experience....use it!
Agreed. I ran a quart in my 93 Mustang when it started to leak at the rear main. I ran it with 10w30 Royal Purple. I'm not sure if it's really supposed to suppress leaks, but it seemed to help in my case.
Old 02-07-2004 | 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

For those of you that do use it, how do you know you're getting good results from it? The best way to know for sure is to do an oil analysis on that interval where you run this stuff. I'd be willing to bet the results would show higher wear numbers than a similar run without this stuff. Or at the very least, it would show that it doesn't improve wear at all, and like I mentioned, in the long run it could tend to sludge things up.

If you choose a good oil to begin with, it should not need anything added to it.
Old 02-07-2004 | 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would take Patman's advice, if I were you
he's the oil King 'round here
Old 02-07-2004 | 08:09 PM
20 Year Member

Oil additives are a NO-NO! You don't need a thick oil in these engines. You're just blowing your own feet off to run a marathon, if you do use heavy oil. Used car salesman years ago would load up a problem child engine with thick heavy oil to temporarily quiet up a bad engine. The problem was still there though.
Old 02-07-2004 | 08:42 PM

I completely disagree with Patman this time

I have used it before and I used it to assemble this last motor. It doesnt just "make your oil thicker". It actually "sticks" to the bearing and other surfaces. Like 80%+ of engine wear comes from startup from no oil in the bearing. This stuff stays in the bearings and doesnt run out like water when you shut the motor off. I wouldnt use a whole quart in a LS1 though. Maybe a 1/2 a quart because of the tight clearences.
Old 02-07-2004 | 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

I use less oil and the valve train is quieter... I hate smokey cars. Kinda bugs me. If I am covering up something, it must be good. Oh, and why does the oil stay clearer/cleaner I would think sludging would show just the opposite?
Just some thoughts, man.
Later
Old 02-07-2004 | 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

country boy and bluebyu, i totally agree with you guys, for some odd reason it seems my oil consumption has slowed down, also the car is quiter expecialy after a cold night. i also only added a half quart last time i used it. i just wanted to see what everyone thought on it before i put it in the car again. for some reason i think im still gunna stick with it, it seems to be working just fine. (also i talked to a mechanic who works for a pontiac dealership, he says he uses it in all his cars and loves the stuff)
Old 02-08-2004 | 05:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Like I said, if you use this product and you want to know for sure if it's safe, get an oil analysis done on it. Otherwise you could be doing more damage than you realize.

I don't use this stuff but yet with the oil/filter combo I'm using I've gotten the best oil analysis results I've ever seen on an LT1. The 0w30 oil I use allows me to get incredibly good flow during the cold start cycle, and the K&N oil filter also allows for the oil to flow virtually unrestricted too.

Keep in mind, no matter what oil you use, your engine will not be bone dry when you first start it, there will always be some protection there. All oils are created with some form of antiwear protection in them to work here. I do agree that cold starts create more wear but it's not necessarily all on that initial few seconds. It's during the entire warm up cycle when your oil is cold and thicker.
Old 02-08-2004 | 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

I had forgotten about this link, it shows you why not to use this stuff, check it out:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=5;t=000058
Old 02-08-2004 | 08:43 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Since you are so against any additives, what sort of things do you have on BG products like MOA, 44K, RF7+, MI3000+, etc...

There is always someone who will have problems with every single product. Most everyone can say they prefer K&N filters, but there is also that group who refuse to use them.
Old 02-08-2004 | 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
I had forgotten about this link, it shows you why not to use this stuff, check it out:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=5;t=000058

Lucas isnt made to be used solely by itsself like it was in the video. Its made to be mixed with oil and its made to help dry starts which, like I said, is where most wear happens. Ive seen it work and it kept an old rod knocking engine on mine (305 TBI) alive for 2 yearsand I beat the hell out of that motor trying to blow it up, so Ill buy it.
Old 02-08-2004 | 11:39 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Country Boy
Lucas isnt made to be used solely by itsself like it was in the video. Its made to be mixed with oil and its made to help dry starts which, like I said, is where most wear happens. Ive seen it work and it kept an old rod knocking engine on mine (305 TBI) alive for 2 yearsand I beat the hell out of that motor trying to blow it up, so Ill buy it.
People really swear by the stuff.

Quick Reply: lucas oil stabilizer