Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel fail?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down fuel fail?

I have had my 99 z28 for a month it had 80665 on the clock when i got it i put 3k miles on it (after i had the master cyl. replaced) and now when i accel. around 2200 rpm's it cut out and falls and the power is gone no fuel to the engine is my guess but wat might be wrong and how can i fix it?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Check fuel pressure first. The pressure tap is on the fuel rail, but you need a special pressure gauge that screws onto the fitting to check it.
Any competent shop should be able to check it for you. Just for a shot in the dark, change the fuel filter and see how it does. Also, check the spark plugs and plug wires, they may be worn out.

Hope this gives you something to start with.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you are able to contact the previous owner and ask him the last time the plugs, wires, fuel filter, fuel pump etc were all checked/replaced. or if the car has any history of gremlins.

if not do as cadivette said.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Teching In

last owner was some girl idk the guy i bought it from owns a salvage yard it was a insurance sale and i bought it for $4k and put a new master cyl. in it. but he wasnt able to find her so i probly wont be able to so ill change my filter and if that isnt it ill ask some of the shops around here what they can do for me till i get some more money its a lil tight right now. thanks for the help let u know if it works.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Teching In

also my service engine soon light is on was on when i bought it and my coolaint light goes on and off randomly but it is full. some days its on some it isnt little more info it might or might not be related idk iv been googling and asking around for the past 4 hours well thank you again.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

That low coolant light is a dummy light, the plug is near the front passenger side of the car, if I plug mine in the light will come on. Just unplug it and check your coolant level every now and then. Thats not your main problem.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

1st - Do a tuneup on your car. Fuel filter, plugs, wires, etc.

2nd - Go to Autozone and have them run your codes for you. They offer it as a free service.

3rd - Make Harbor Freight your new best friend (if you have one near you). You can easily get many tools that your local mechanic uses for dirt cheap, including a fuel pressure gauge.

4th - Do the above and then post back with the results so we can help diagnose further!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Harbor Freight has to be a Texas thing but I agree 100%. This complete job should be done at 75k or sooner depending on the driver.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Teching In

my mechanic friend said it would probly be the air intake or heat sensor said it is probly dirty or the sensor is going out. i have a full shop (thanks to harbor freight and lots of christmas presents) so i can do all that when i get time and a lil money ill go have my codes checked to thank you all for the help ill let u know how it goes.

Last edited by 99camZ28; 12-22-2010 at 08:10 PM.