Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 or LSX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 or LSX?

I decided to build my first LS engine. I started my reaserch by getting familiar with the LS1 by reading the book "How to build high performance LS1/LS6 engines" and doing hours of searching through this website. I know that book does not make me an expert but if i wast going to start with the 5.7 ls6 block i would have it punched out and stroked to a 427 N/A street engine. My question is, am i looking at this the wrong way? I know very little about the differences made to the newer 6.0 ls2 and also the ls3. I dont even know what an ls7 is!! If i have the means, should i start with one of the newer gen IV blocks and do the research before going with an LS1? I feel like im a step (or 3) behind the curve. Can someone point me in the right direction please. I figured if i was gonna learn the newer generation small block i would start with the 5.7 and go from there. Thank you for any advice. Matt- Bagram Afghanistan
Old 12-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For GEN III LS1/LS6 blocks, your limited on bore, unless you want to pay to have it re sleeved which is expensive compared to going to a LS2 block. Which gives you the 4.000" bore and a much better cyl head selection.

IF you were only planning 383 max cubes, you can do that on a LS1/LS6 block as it is a simple hone of the cyl walls, clearencing, and a balanced rotating assembly. You just get limited in cyl head choice.

Do a internet search as there is plenty on the subject. Even in this forum, Search LS7 and you should get some good pops.

One thing anyone will ask or remind you is what the intended use of the motor and what you expect to do with it. I.E. Goals.

Also to mention LSx is a block that is also Iron which adds a good deal of weight so most people have been opting for a LS2 aluminum block and make any # of different combos. LSx is a good block for Boost but based on the OP your not at the level needed to worry about lifting heads or any block limitation.

Start poking around the internal engine forums too and get your feet wet.

LS3 is new to the scene so the cost is not IMO in line with people looking to build motors. Thats why the LS2 seems to be the hot ticket item still at this moment.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want an aluminum 427 you can get a LS3 block and do a 4.005 bore x 4.100 crank much cheaper than a LS7 block.

A GMPP LSX block is pretty much a race block. Iron LQ blocks are a dime a dozen and can hold more power than 99.9% of us can afford to make..... Here is an iron 427>>>> https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...er-3599-a.html

Last edited by SOMbitch; 12-28-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the info, Im building something for my 73 Camaro. Id like for it to be my dd. There is an ls2 Vette running around my post with like 470 rwhp and he drives it almost every day. Didnt have much time to talk to him about it but i know he intends to make and ls7 out of it. (or at least replicate an ls7). Been reading a little about the ls3 and it makes me want to sell what i have and just buy a 2010 Camaro. The 5th gen enthusiasts really sell the new Camaro on the forums. Also you can get an ls3 short block from GM performance for like $3500. Seems like a good deal to me since its a new engine straight from the factory and im looking to put it in a dd. I just dont know how well the stock ls3 heads flow and what cam comes with it. I figure 430 HP plus an aftermarket intake and some long tube headers ill be right around my HP goal. Then maybe i could find a totaled 2010 camaro
Old 12-29-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly I would rather have a NICELY done LS powered 73 than a 5th gen...Yes I know the creature comforts, ride and handling of the newer car are great but they are popping up on every corner. Plan your build wisely around a LS2/3 stroked/forged shortblock and you will rape a cam/bolt on 5th gen for a lot less $$$$ and have the style of a 2nd gen to boot.....

Quick Reply: LS1 or LSX?