Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning 16 in couple months...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChillnV
my father would probably congradualate me..my mother would throw a fit...and the cops..well I hate them anyways, so it doesn't matter.
Your father would sell your car, your mother would throw a fit AND ground you, and the cops...well they hate people racing on the street, so it won't matter that they'll toss you in jail for the night while you're parents try to figuire out where they'll get the $1000 cash to bail your sorry a$$ out of jail at 3:00AM.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Swifster
Your father would sell your car, your mother would throw a fit AND ground you, and the cops...well they hate people racing on the street, so it won't matter that they'll toss you in jail for the night while you're parents try to figuire out where they'll get the $1000 cash to bail your sorry a$$ out of jail at 3:00AM.
LMAO!
Old 02-10-2004, 06:04 PM
Launching!

whaaah ... I take responsibility for what I do, and you don't know my parents.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:14 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1formula
I just don't see whats so bad about getting a V6 for the looks when you start out and upgrading to a V8 when your in college. HS kids are a bit young IMO to have such power at thier foot. Some may use it wisely but most will not. There is a difference between being a good driver and one who just hasn't been caught.
Because a V6 f-bod is just as bad as a non turbo DSM... or non-vtec Honda... something
Old 02-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Launching!

hey, at least they went american... let alone GM.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:25 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

hey, at least they went american... let alone GM.
Still wasn't enough to save the f-body
Old 02-10-2004, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

I am a big fan of Muscle Cars, but my main ones are the F-bodies and Corvettes(Y-bodies?). I just happened to come across this thread and figured I would get an account and post. So, this is my first post here

First off, the teenagers who have a ls1 are very lucky!

There isnt much to the decision to be made when buying a v6 or a v8. It comes down to style or having both style and power. Well, If you boil it down to basics. You also have to factor in the money which in the end makes the decision for you. I have been trying since I turned 16 in 2000. Never did work out once my dad saw the insurance quote. I am still working on it, but not getting that much closer. I took my dad to test drive a 2001 SOM Ws6 and that made me want one more. Also made my dad realize that I dont need something that fast, lol He said he would love to buy one for a cruiser, but not now or even for me to trade my car in on Only time I got to drive an ls1 but, it was special to me.

The invisable thing these guys talk about is so true. I look back and realize how reckless I drove. I gained a lot of experience, but it cost me a lot. I had a POS Dodge Dynasty as my first car and I am glad. It was a tank, lots of room, and didnt go that fast thank god. It was more than some had and it got me from A to B. After getting a newer car, I learned that there is a lot of added responsibility that comes with newer vehicles. Giving them the care they need and the respect that comes with the power if they have it. I never cleaned anything regularly until I got my Monte Carlo. I dont think any new driver should get a new or high power vehicle. They dont respect it and surely cant drive it. Every teenager needs a POS Dynasty to learn on

I agree with a lot of the points made in this thread. There are some responsible teenagers, but the irresponsible outnumber them. I was one of the irresponsible and my driving record shows it. Another case of this would be this guy I went to highschool with got a lt1 z28. It was modded and had some power. Well, he was going off our local bridge, dropped it a gear, and punched it. It starting going out of control and ended up hitting a huge welcome sign. I think the estimate was close to 8 grand worth the damage. he said there was ice.

All I have to say to those lucky enough to own an ls1 is to give it the love, care, and respect it deserves. keep if safe! That is just my 2 cents. Its was long,unorganized, and probably has a lot of grammer problems. I am sorry for that. I just had a lot to say, but tried to cut it down a little. Thanks for your time, Derek
Old 02-10-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

woa, i just read 9 pages of this, im 17 and i agree on both sides..

for the parents side, they love you and definatly dont want anything bad to happen to their kid. they rather see you mad and all pissed off with a shitty neon than see you dead..

on the kids side, they dont want to drive a shitty neon and rather have a badass ls1 powered car. They very well may be awesome drivers, but statistically im sure young inexperienced drivers usually make their mistakes while they are newbs.

But all in all, ive done some dumb things now that I think about it (not that my truck is fast at all), but with time you will learn to control yourself and your car.

All i can say is, just take everyones advice and just be careful, dont nail it coming out of turns, or dont do anything retarded on the street. if you HAVE to do somthing, at least be half decent and take it out on an emtpy parking lot with no poles etc.

PS.

back when i was 16, i was with my cousin (i was passenger) and we rolled his 96 2wd ford ranger truck on its side... doing donuts on a dirt road, slid to far into some soft dirt and the tires dug and :::daadoomp:: on its side.

But being half-smart, it was in a place we knew if somthing was going to go wrong, it wouldnt hurt us or any other things.

So basically, take it easy, take it to the track if you want to haul ***. and just realize that these people that telling you otherwise are actually trying to help you. and also realize to respect somthing with decent power. and i know your gunna have to haul ***, so just take it in a controlled enviroment.

and dont get a neon.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:07 AM
Staging Lane

my father would probably congradualate me..my mother would throw a fit...and the cops..well I hate them anyways, so it doesn't matter.

whaaah ... I take responsibility for what I do, and you don't know my parents.
While I may not know your parents personally, after your last two comments, I don't think you do either. Why don't you ask your parents what their response would be if you got busted for drag racing, thrown in jail, your car impounded, and finding out about this from you at 3:00 AM while you're asking them to bail you out. I'm sure your dad would congradulate you!
Old 02-11-2004, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Because a V6 f-bod is just as bad as a non turbo DSM... or non-vtec Honda... something
Bad in what way? I have owned several V6 Camaros and Firebirds when I was younger and cash was tighter. They look sharp, they were faster then most other vehicles I came across at stop lights, they were a lot cheaper to insure and they got me from A to B. Heck sometimes they even managed to get me back to A.

I would rather have a V6 Firebird then a Cavalier, Neon, Truck, ect. You can make fun of them all you want but they were nice cars that are perfect for young drivers and people on tight budgets (cheaper car pmt and ins).

Plus you can get them with t-tops or vert and really be looking good when pulling into the school parking lot. That is if you could stand the verbal abuse that the Neon, Civic and pickup truck drivers would give you for owning a V6.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

So your saying your father would congratulate you for doing something illegal, dangerous and not covered by the car insurance. I'm trying not to sound sarcastic but this is the only response that comes to mind. Either you underestimate your fathers reaction or I wouldn't be holding my breath for him to be nominated for father of the year.

Your mother definately has the right attatude.

There are times when just about everybody wishes they don't see a cop. I have had tickets when I was younger that I didn't feel were necassary. I was in high school in the early to mid eighties and had hair down to my Butt. I listened to Ozzy, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, well you get the picture. Lets just say I can definately relate to the wanting to avoid cops feeling. Now if I had a car back then with the power and top end of the LS1 god only knows if I would still be alive today. You only hate cops because your doing something illegal. I know the feeling.

But picture yourself older with a wife and kids for a moment. Your out of town on business and your wife calls you frantic that someone is trying to break in your house. Lets say you don't have a gun in the house or you know that your wife would never use it. You tell her to call 911 and hide in the basement or attic with the door locked. There was a cruiser not far when the call came in and they get to your house within a few minutes, apprehend the suspect and possibly saved your families wife.

How would you feel about cops on that day? would you still hate that cop or would you want to shake his hand and say thank you. Just something to think about.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:10 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Bad in what way?
I live on the premise that I must get what I want and that I will not settle otherwise. I won't be happy if I don't. So I bust my *** making sure I can get everything I want. If I can't get what I want at the moment, I won't compromise. I'll save and save until I can. I think buying the V6 is compromising, and that's something I don't do. I could have had a 2.8 Camaro as my first car, but I refused. I waited until I could get a L98 IROC.

I could have bought a lot of cheap LT1s, but I waited and saved my money for a LS1. The only time i've compromised was buying the Z28 instead of the SS. I jus wanted the SS for the looks, but I got this Z28 cheap. Sometimes I wish I would have waited, but other times i'm happy I saved the money.

There isn't anything 'wrong' with a V6 f-body. I'm just the kinda of person who wants the best of everything, and I will stop at nothing to get it.

If you are/were a V6 owner, you can not honestly say you never thought about "what if I got the V8". I know I would be miserable in the V6 when I'm at the track or even on the street. I don't worry about those things. I just worry about if i'm going to be faster than the other guy.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Damillio
Anybody have a ballpark insurance number for a 16 year old newbie driver?
Depending on what it is alot. If its an LS1 car use your head. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I turned 16 my dad bought me a 1976 Plymouth Valiant with a slant six that burned a quart of oil every 500 miles. The car was canary yellow with canary yellow bench vinyl seats.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Swifster has been listening to the war stories the ex cops in his SIV (special investigations unit) have been telling again!

More often, a "speed contest" ticket will be issued and you will be released on site, the majority of cops are lazy and don't want to make any arrests that are not absolutely necessary. In my state a speed contest is $500.00 and two points.

As someone that works in what we call the American justice system, and has for some years, I can tell you that cops are considered the septic cleaners of the system. They do the dirty work, and the rest of us in the system tolerate their stupidity because someone has to do their job, and we don't want it to be us. We tolerate their bad arrests, their flubbed up paperwork, their idiotic testimony and their overall lack of judgement, because we have no choice. One of the bonuses of so many plea bargains being arranged is not having to coach the cop on his/her testimony in court.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
I live on the premise that I must get what I want and that I will not settle otherwise. I won't be happy if I don't. So I bust my *** making sure I can get everything I want. If I can't get what I want at the moment, I won't compromise. I'll save and save until I can. I think buying the V6 is compromising, and that's something I don't do. I could have had a 2.8 Camaro as my first car, but I refused. I waited until I could get a L98 IROC.

I could have bought a lot of cheap LT1s, but I waited and saved my money for a LS1. The only time i've compromised was buying the Z28 instead of the SS. I jus wanted the SS for the looks, but I got this Z28 cheap. Sometimes I wish I would have waited, but other times i'm happy I saved the money.

There isn't anything 'wrong' with a V6 f-body. I'm just the kinda of person who wants the best of everything, and I will stop at nothing to get it.

If you are/were a V6 owner, you can not honestly say you never thought about "what if I got the V8". I know I would be miserable in the V6 when I'm at the track or even on the street. I don't worry about those things. I just worry about if i'm going to be faster than the other guy.
^^^ I like this guys attitude, and im am the SAME exact way. I have a 97 Camaro Z28 M6, and i got the car when i was 16. It wasn't my first car, but my first "nice" car, and i busted my ***, and still do to mod it, pay my 345$ carpayment. My insurance is 233$ a month (good student, Steer-clear program), plus my nextel etc. I work over 50 hours a week @ a job that i have been then since i was a freshman (now a senior) It feels good to have a badass car, pay for EVERYTHING for it. It just makes u that much more proud of it. I knewthat a LS1 car would kill me for insurance rather than the LT1, the LT1 sure is slower, but w/ mods it can be just as quick. Since i pay for all my own crap, if i want something, i have to save for it, and it makes me want to work for it that much more. My buddy has a 97 Formula M6, and he is the same way. What im trying to say is, if u can afford it the car, and dont drive like an idiot (sure, i have done 155mph, done donuts, showed off) do it in a save area, when i did 155mph, it was @ 3am in the morning, there were NO cars on the road. Sure it was stupid, but i did it w/ no other cars, the only one i would be killing is me. Im not saying it wassmart, but everyone does stupid things, EVERYONE, and if u say u dont do anything dumb/illegal while driving ur full of it. Just my .02 Dave
Old 02-11-2004, 10:19 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by 1QwickLT1
It feels good to have a badass car, pay for EVERYTHING for it. It just makes u that much more proud of it
Yup, that pretty much sums it up. I love my LS1, and I respect it. I didn't care much for my Mustang, but I took great care of it, and that's why I sold a 93 GT with 90K miles for $7800.

I treated my IROC like gold though. I cared about that car more than anything I have since. It was waxed weekly, washed almost everday (until I found the California Car Duster), and sat in a heated garage in the winter. It never saw snow when I had it. I loved that thing and treated it with so much respect. It was my first car, I paid for it, and I learned so much from it. No one could beleive a 16 year old had the car because it was always so clean (the only thing inside was a my backpack for school), and I didn't beat on it. I miss it. It's for sale in Florida now, but the kid who has it repainted it, put a big gay supra wing on it, shaved the handles, and wrecked it twice... and he wants over $8000 for it! I'd take it back in a heart beat though. It was my first "baby". The biggest mistake I ever made was selling that car.

Wow, sorry to get so off the topic, but I had a little flashback! It's odd to think that was only 4 1/2 years ago when I got that IROC. I can't beleive how much has changed since.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Last night my brother wrecked his car. This is his 3rd incident in 2 years, in 2 different brand new cars.I get screwed......read on. My brother gets a brand new V6 Stang on the day of his license. 5 months later, he wrecks it, just shy of totaling it. Around the same time the next year, I still don't have a car, I get on, a 2001 SS. I am happy as all hell. My brother gets a speeding ticket for going 60 in a 35. A week later my parents get him a Brand new mustang GT. I have some acidents, but nothing more than alignment issues, and tires/wheels. Last night he runs into a fence, blasts through it, and hits the house. Causing serious damage to the house, but nothing major to his car. I don't complain about my car, and dont get speeding tickets, and don't get in a wreck that involves someone elses car, or house for that matter. I think I can safely say that I am a better driver than him, and he is spoiled. Maybe I should ask for a Vette huh? Well, his car is gone, our insurence is going to cancel us after we pay for the serious damage to the rotten wood house. I am pissed because My insurence might go up. Once again proving my theory Muscle cars are not for kids. That is coming from a kid too, we are just too inexperienced, and stupid.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Launching!

So your saying your father would congratulate you for doing something illegal, dangerous and not covered by the car insurance. I'm trying not to sound sarcastic but this is the only response that comes to mind. Either you underestimate your fathers reaction or I wouldn't be holding my breath for him to be nominated for father of the year.

Your mother definately has the right attatude.

There are times when just about everybody wishes they don't see a cop. I have had tickets when I was younger that I didn't feel were necassary. I was in high school in the early to mid eighties and had hair down to my Butt. I listened to Ozzy, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, well you get the picture. Lets just say I can definately relate to the wanting to avoid cops feeling. Now if I had a car back then with the power and top end of the LS1 god only knows if I would still be alive today. You only hate cops because your doing something illegal. I know the feeling.

But picture yourself older with a wife and kids for a moment. Your out of town on business and your wife calls you frantic that someone is trying to break in your house. Lets say you don't have a gun in the house or you know that your wife would never use it. You tell her to call 911 and hide in the basement or attic with the door locked. There was a cruiser not far when the call came in and they get to your house within a few minutes, apprehend the suspect and possibly saved your families wife.

How would you feel about cops on that day? would you still hate that cop or would you want to shake his hand and say thank you. Just something to think about.

I have no problem w/ cops if they are helping people, but if I'm on the road by myself and there is no traffic I feel they need to F$%k off and find someone else to bug. All it does is make me better friends w/ my lawyer (thank god for reductions on tickets).

My father...well, I'm sure lots of the laws out there were created b/c of him and his buddies from when they were younger and my age. Of course there weren't as many cars on the roads back then... but its not like I actively do things while around traffic.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroSS
Last night my brother wrecked his car. This is his 3rd incident in 2 years, in 2 different brand new cars.I get screwed......read on. My brother gets a brand new V6 Stang on the day of his license. 5 months later, he wrecks it, just shy of totaling it. Around the same time the next year, I still don't have a car, I get on, a 2001 SS. I am happy as all hell. My brother gets a speeding ticket for going 60 in a 35. A week later my parents get him a Brand new mustang GT. I have some acidents, but nothing more than alignment issues, and tires/wheels. Last night he runs into a fence, blasts through it, and hits the house. Causing serious damage to the house, but nothing major to his car. I don't complain about my car, and dont get speeding tickets, and don't get in a wreck that involves someone elses car, or house for that matter. I think I can safely say that I am a better driver than him, and he is spoiled. Maybe I should ask for a Vette huh? Well, his car is gone, our insurence is going to cancel us after we pay for the serious damage to the rotten wood house. I am pissed because My insurence might go up. Once again proving my theory Muscle cars are not for kids. That is coming from a kid too, we are just too inexperienced, and stupid.
WTF??? WHy did your parents get him a GT Stang, when he couldnt even handle a V6 stang?? LOL

P.S. Kevin, sorry about your brother good luck on your insurance...Im 16, and I should be gettin my license in a few months...No LS1 though