New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jus got my cherry ls1 popped!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jus got my cherry ls1 popped!!

TRADED MY 68 PRO TOURING PROJECT FOR MY LS CAR. HAVE BEEN WANTING FOR A WHILE. THE GUY I GOT IT FROM HAD NO RECEIPTS BUT GAVE ME THE SPECS THAT WAS GAVE TO HIM. MAYBE SOMEONE ON HERE HAD THIS CAR OR BUILT IT. JUS A SHOT IN THE DARK BUT IT WOULD BE NICE TO KNO 100% WHAT IS IN THE ENGINE. like i said dnt kno much bout ls1, i would like to kno how much a ls1 block can hold hp wise. i was told it is 427in and from what research i have seen hopefully it has darton sleeves in it. supposely has a forged bottom in with lunati nitrous pistons. i want to knock this thing in the head but dnt kno how much it is capable of handlin. it has crane .651/.658 248/254 with 113 lobe sep. harland 1.8 rockers, msd 42ib injectors, ls6 heads with a zex perimeter plate. hopefully everything is correct to what is suppose to be in it. i dnt kno anything about a zex nitrous system(is this a good plate?). with the class i wanna run this year i will need atleast 800hp flywheel hp. am i capable with this setup? all help will be appreciated. heres a link to car let me kno if its familiar. thanx josh
http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc409/bigbumper1/
Old 01-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Banned

WOW! My head ******* hurts now trying to figure out WTF you are talking about.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ccxxxxxxx
wow! My head ******* hurts now trying to figure out wtf you are talking about.
take u a ****** tylenol then!!! Maybe if reading makes your head hurt then u should have your mom read it to you.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:44 PM

I am saying i trade my 68 camaro for my first ls1 car. I didnt get any receipts on work done to car, so was wanting some info on what i had. Thats all
Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BIGBUMPER
TRADED MY 68 PRO TOURING PROJECT FOR MY LS CAR. HAVE BEEN WANTING FOR A WHILE. THE GUY I GOT IT FROM HAD NO RECEIPTS BUT GAVE ME THE SPECS THAT WAS GAVE TO HIM. MAYBE SOMEONE ON HERE HAD THIS CAR OR BUILT IT. JUS A SHOT IN THE DARK BUT IT WOULD BE NICE TO KNO 100% WHAT IS IN THE ENGINE. like i said dnt kno much bout ls1, i would like to kno how much a ls1 block can hold hp wise. i was told it is 427in and from what research i have seen hopefully it has darton sleeves in it. supposely has a forged bottom in with lunati nitrous pistons. i want to knock this thing in the head but dnt kno how much it is capable of handlin. it has crane .651/.658 248/254 with 113 lobe sep. harland 1.8 rockers, msd 42ib injectors, ls6 heads with a zex perimeter plate. hopefully everything is correct to what is suppose to be in it. i dnt kno anything about a zex nitrous system(is this a good plate?). with the class i wanna run this year i will need atleast 800hp flywheel hp. am i capable with this setup? all help will be appreciated. heres a link to car let me kno if its familiar. thanx josh
http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc409/bigbumper1/
Originally Posted by ccxxxxxxx
WOW! My head ******* hurts now trying to figure out WTF you are talking about.

Ahem, allow me:

I traded my '68 Pro Touring project for my LS car. I have been wanting such a trade to take place for a while now. The gentleman I picked up the car from was absent the receipts, but gave me the specs on the car that were relayed to him. It's a shot in the dark, but it would be nice to know what modifications were done to the engine; if anyone here, after examining the mods below, believes this may be their previous vehicle, please PM me!

On a side note, my first LS-related question: How much horsepower is the stock LS1 block capable of?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

You bought a car with no receipts and are asking a bunch of strangers who have never seen the car what's done to it, then proceed to jump down throats and insult them?

Without taking the engine apart there isn't really a good way of knowing "100%" what's done to it or what it can handle. Maybe try to contact the builder if the guy you bought it from can help you there but the chances are slim he is on this board.

Not a bad looking car though.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it would look great with a cowl hood

Car looks very nice here is my take....Zex is ok but not to many here use it. Like the other guys said you really need to chase down some build info. Sleeved? Block used? Girdled? Compression? Pistons, crank, rods, rings, ring gap, cam, valvetrain setup etc.... Then you'll have a better idea what to throw at it. I would want to know what the rest of the drivetrain consists of too...

Just a couple of observations....LS6 heads are small even ported to feed that CID and not the best for lots of spray because they will lift before an aftermarket with a thicker deck....also I think if the motor was meant for LOTS of n2o the cam specs would be different. And lastly WTF are 1.8 Harlands doing on this motor? That is begging for valve control issues....
Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by the bronx bull

ahem, allow me:

i traded my '68 pro touring project for my ls car. I have been wanting such a trade to take place for a while now. The gentleman i picked up the car from was absent the receipts, but gave me the specs on the car that were relayed to him. It's a shot in the dark, but it would be nice to know what modifications were done to the engine; if anyone here, after examining the mods below, believes this may be their previous vehicle, please pm me!

On a side note, my first ls-related question: How much horsepower is the stock ls1 block capable of?

there you go. Im not the best at typing ing at a presentable fashion or atleast to ls1tech standards. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
you bought a car with no receipts and are asking a bunch of strangers who have never seen the car what's done to it, then proceed to jump down throats and insult them?

Without taking the engine apart there isn't really a good way of knowing "100%" what's done to it or what it can handle. Maybe try to contact the builder if the guy you bought it from can help you there but the chances are slim he is on this board.

Not a bad looking car though.
i returned the insult thats all. If it was to much he couldve have stopped reading as soon as he was confused and exited the thread.

I kno that there is kno way of knowing without takeing the engine apart and dont expect anyone to kno unless they were possibly an owner/builder of car but i was askin if the specs i listed were capable of a 250+hp nitrous hit. As i stated it has forged crank, rods, and lunati nitrous pistons(11.1 comp). Im tryin to find the original builder but it went thru 2 trades b4 i got it. The car has very few miles on it since build.

Sorry for confusion i am a newb to ls1 but not to racing. I mean no disrespect and at the same time dont like to be disrepected.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by the bronx bull

ahem, allow me:

i traded my '68 pro touring project for my ls car. I have been wanting such a trade to take place for a while now. The gentleman i picked up the car from was absent the receipts, but gave me the specs on the car that were relayed to him. It's a shot in the dark, but it would be nice to know what modifications were done to the engine; if anyone here, after examining the mods below, believes this may be their previous vehicle, please pm me!

On a side note, my first ls-related question: How much horsepower is the stock ls1 block capable of?
do u have an answer to that question? I am sure it is a stock ls1 or ls6 block
Old 01-11-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

If its a stock ls1 or ls6 block then it isnt a 427.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by sombitch
i think it would look great with a cowl hood

Car looks very nice here is my take....zex is ok but not to many here use it. Like the other guys said you really need to chase down some build info. Sleeved? Block used? Girdled? Compression? Pistons, crank, rods, rings, ring gap, cam, valvetrain setup etc.... Then you'll have a better idea what to throw at it. I would want to know what the rest of the drivetrain consists of too...

Just a couple of observations....ls6 heads are small even ported to feed that cid and not the best for lots of spray because they will lift before an aftermarket with a thicker deck....also i think if the motor was meant for lots of n2o the cam specs would be different. And lastly wtf are 1.8 harlands doing on this motor? That is begging for valve control issues....
thanx for the knowledge. In your opinion what heads and cam and nitrous knit would be suitable for a 250hp+ n20 hit? I dnt even kno if they are 1.8 harlands it was just on spec sheet, i hated the idea of buying it without build sheet but i went out on a limb because i liked the car. Im gona take valve cover off tonite and see.
Thanx josh
Old 01-11-2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
If its a stock ls1 or ls6 block then it isnt a 427.
stock ls1 or ls6 aluminum block with darton sleeve kit. sorry......yea i pretty much suck at this computer. how can u tell the difference or where are the block numbers at? the only ones i found were on driver side front of block? and i couldnt find a match on anything from internet research. it does have a circle with a 97 in the middle and i figured that might be the year of production
Old 01-11-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the circle means it is a ls1 block .check the casting numbers on the back of the block ,by the bell housing .the darton kit block should handle 800 hp.sounds like a radical engine.if you need more power consider a AFR or TFS, or a PRC 227 cnc head.good luck and have fun.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BIGBUMPER
stock ls1 or ls6 aluminum block with darton sleeve kit. sorry......yea i pretty much suck at this computer. how can u tell the difference or where are the block numbers at? the only ones i found were on driver side front of block? and i couldnt find a match on anything from internet research. it does have a circle with a 97 in the middle and i figured that might be the year of production

That would be correct so it is an LS1 block.

IMO for 250+ you really need to make sure the bottomend is built with the right n2o specific parts and tolerances, ring gaps etc...

Almost all the aftermarket heads have thicker decks. You can't go wrong with Trick Flow, AFR, Mast/PI and a there are others like All Pro that are a strictly race heads... I imagine the block is studded and with ARP fasteners...

I don't spec cams but a wider LSA and a little more split is what I usually see in a n2o cam....

Looks like the car has great potential and you should enjoy it.

Does it have a wideband??
Old 01-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

LOL @ this thread.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TooMuchMoney
LOL @ this thread.
So got anything constructive to contribute???? I thought that is what this forum is for..... I mean you have a nice set of cars in your stable including the boosted Hawk so surely you have some helpful advice or did you join this site just to mock people???

Last edited by SOMbitch; 01-11-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
So got anything constructive to contribute???? I thought that is what this forum is for.....
Haha I'm sorry just thought it was funny, you got a problem with that? (not coming off as a dick) But I will say this I would never do a Zex kit personally.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Banned

The thought of a computer automatically tuning the nitrous scares me. I'll stay away from it and tune my nitrous myself.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know, nobody I know runs Zex and not many on here either so that should say something. You obviously have some sick stuff so I would like to see you post up some vids.....especially the Hawk

Edit: Supra modded??