New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat-Back Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011 | 04:25 PM
Launching!

Default Cat-Back Questions

I want to start by saying I know theres probably a million or more "what exhaust should I get threads" but this one is my own personal needs and I hope at the end I can be happy with one and just buy it right away.

I have chokemasters(flowmasters) on right now, they are really loud at WOT and just cruising with the foot on the pedal in overdrive, quite as hell at idle.

I'm looking for a good flowing cat-back for LT's and a ORY pipe, I want LITTLE TO NO RASP! It's a muscle car and I want it to sound deap and agressive with some noise at iddle. I dont want it to sound like your sitting next to a v6.

If you think true duals, say so and tell me which ones fit well and need little modifications out of the box to get set up.

Let me know I appreciate the help.
Old 01-12-2011 | 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have TSPs rumbler system with an ory pipe, loud as all get out, draws all kind of attention and has a rasp on the high end when letting off I love it though,,,,personally I think what you are looking for from what you are describing would be the dynomax system
Old 01-12-2011 | 05:12 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree the TSP rumbler has a great price and a very nice sound.
Old 01-12-2011 | 05:31 PM
Launching!

TSP it is. Cheep and awesome, ORY pipe and pacesetter Lt's sound good with it?
Old 01-12-2011 | 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ripfirebird94
TSP it is. Cheep and awesome, ORY pipe and pacesetter Lt's sound good with it?
That's exactly what I'm running and I love it.
Old 01-12-2011 | 06:50 PM
Launching!

How does it compare with the Flowmaster?
Old 01-12-2011 | 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

^ To me, Flowmaster should have been called Nomaster. To me, the only reason why Flowmaster is as big as they are today is because of there name and there name got around. I'm not saying that Flowmaster straight up sucks but there are better ones out there. On mine right now I have a knock off Flowmaster that I bought new from the exhaust shop, wasn't one of these where the customer didn't want it type deals cause they keep them in stock but mine has thicker casing, internals, and inlets and outlets than a Flowmaster and I paid half for the muffler than what Flowmaster sales for around here. Just my $0.02 though.
Old 01-12-2011 | 11:29 PM
On The Tree

^I know the OP's asking about cat backs, so that's more than likely what you're referring to. Just adding my 2 cents that Flowmaster is as big as they are today because most of there mufflers (excluding our cat back) are pretty great. Single chamber flows have been the best exhaust I've heard on an f-body bar none. Just requires some fab work.

Back on topic though, If the OP's looking for little to no rasp, I'd suggest going with a true dual setup, such as TSP's. Otherwise to get away from the rasp that has plagued many y-pipes, you'll have to look for something that has a better merge, such as the flowmaster merge.

That should get rid of the rasp, then the cat back is up to you. Magnaflow and Hooker are supposed to be on the quieter side at idle, but come alive in the once you open it up. I've never heard any in person though, just going off the general consensus I've heard from the forum.
Old 01-13-2011 | 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

I really like my LT's, o/r y, and borlas.
Old 01-13-2011 | 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by dee99gt
I really like my LT's, o/r y, and borlas.
Me too but borla is rasp with wide open throttle sometimes, but I LOVE IT!!!
Old 01-14-2011 | 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

First my resume.. haha! I have had on my F-Bodys:

True Duals (One Chambers)
True Duals (Sweet Thunders)
True Duals (Bullets)
Borla
Magnaflow
2OTL
Loudmouth I
Loudmouth II
Flowmaster

The quiet route is Magnaflow... and you can put a cutout in for a perfect ballance... tame when u want, and LOUD when u want...

The loud route would be any true duals in my opinion... I think Sweet Thunders sound like sex!
Old 01-14-2011 | 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would highly suggest hooker catback or TSP true duals. I had LM1 and it was waaaaay to loud and raspy. I just got rid of magnaflow for TSP Duals with dynomax bullets dumped and its perfect!!! It actually isnt really loud. Its just a bit loud at start up, but cruising speeds its pretty mellow. Hardly any drone or rasp which is pretty surprising.

Magnaflow is always a popular choice on this site because its stainless steel, and its priced pretty good. But sound wise, it is pretty quiet. Its barely any louder than stock, and even with a cam, and longtubes, and ORY magnaflow was just too quiet for me. It didnt have a aggressive, mean sound at all.
Old 01-16-2011 | 05:05 PM

I had the Borla and yes it sounds great, but it is a tad loud and raspy. I run a Magnaflow now and it is good, and relatively inexpensive!
Old 01-20-2011 | 09:19 PM
On The Tree

A bit pricy, but I really like my Corsa setup...
I really Like what Billy Boat puts out as well.