Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock ls1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock ls1?

SO my 00" ss m6 is 100% stock and i had a few questions with mods.
i have about 10k to work with and i want at least 400 hp
but as you see i dont care too much about HP i want a car that will have a set up of mostly street duty: about 75 street to 25 drag,

with that said what kind of springs and shocks would any one suggest i have done a seach but haven found anything

i also want a cam more for sound than power, i looked around and found an cam from an ls6 zo6 it would be added by Pase heads and true duels

any input would be helpful!!! thank you !

oh yeah and what kind of sfc's to use or TQ arms

Last edited by stubbs04; 01-20-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It must be nice everyone seems to have 5-10k to work with anymore.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...r-springs.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-me-first.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-guide.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...must-read.html

[/thread]

Last edited by smg267; 01-20-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

some people like the sound of the gm ASA cam.look at the TSP 228r cam with 112*lsa.get the cam kit .TSP sells a nice exhaust system.get headers ,full exhaust and a ls6 intake.go to the ws6 store and look around at suspension stuff.do you have a welder?if not buy bolt on SFC and have some weld them in later.go to the suspension section and read some threads to get a idea of what mite work for you.I like the KYB adjustable shocks.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a lot of information left out of here that the OP asked for.

First off, start with your supporting mods. Check out the stickies at the top of the sections your interested in, and also search for more threads for those topics.

Anyways, supporting mods: lid, catback, headers, ls6 intake, P&P TB, and a tune should put you around 350 rwhp....looking at the cam thread above and searching around (there's 100's of "what cam is best for me" threads around) should help you out with cam selection. That stock LS6 cam will add some power, but I doubt you'll notice a big difference in sound. In fact, a lot of people recommend going slightly bigger to make the swap worth it. A nice cam along with the supporting mods should put you around 400 rwhp without having something hard to drive around in.

However, when you start looking to add power and take it to the strip, especially with the manual, you have to start looking at other things. The stock clutch on these cars probably won't handle a lot of hard launches (especially at 400 rwhp), and the rear is a ticking time bomb. Plan on spending money on an upgraded rear (or fab your own if you can) along with an upgraded clutch (possibly new clutch hydraulics too).

Also, for your suspension, there's a lot of things (LCA's, TA, etc.) along with the shocks/springs that can help you hook at the track/street, but don't go for an all out drag setup, as they can affect handling, ride quality, and stability on the street. Check out the drag section as well as the suspension section for more information (if you're not looking to lower, you don't really have to change from stock springs). As far as the TA and SFC's to use, I'd look at UMI's stuff (sponsor on here), they make good quality parts. Also, for LCA's, I wouldn't recommend using a poly/poly ended piece, as they tend to bind on the street. There's a lot more to put for suspension, but I don't really have the time and the info's all out there

Hopefully this helps. Try searching more and DEFINITELY read the stickies at the tops of the individual sections to find out a lot more than I can put into this post.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

full boltons with a cam will get you what you.

id get stainless LTs and be done. theres alot of catback options so id look into what one you want since they sound different.

id go with a FAST setup to compliment your cam and optimize your setup as you add more power.

though! IT REALLY ISNT A BAD IDEA TO UPGRADE YOUR rear and suspension early on and have it ready to take anything you put out.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by stubbs04
i also want a cam more for sound than power
Ok. In that case then....,

Originally Posted by stubbs04
i looked around and found an cam from an ls6 zo6 it would be added by Pase heads and true duels
....an LS6 cam would be a huge mistake. It will sound like stock. You'll need something with more overlap than any stock cam will provide (LS6 cam was designed to pass federal emissions tests, the idle is very tame compared to most aftermarket LSx cams)
Old 01-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
full boltons with a cam will get you what you.

id get stainless LTs and be done. theres alot of catback options so id look into what one you want since they sound different.

id go with a FAST setup to compliment your cam and optimize your setup as you add more power.

though! IT REALLY ISNT A BAD IDEA TO UPGRADE YOUR rear and suspension early on and have it ready to take anything you put out.
thanks for the input i was really thinking about this for a long time , Because i would be doing most of the work myself. But before i add any power i wanted to work on the suspension the car has 96k on the clock and its long over due most of the work would be done infront of my house OR should i just put a down payment on 5th gen and be done with it
Old 01-21-2011, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

thank you but the money was coming from a down payment on a 5th gen