Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor

I have a 2001 ls1 that was given to me. It was partially torn down and at the minimium will need bearings and 1 piston.
I am looking for suggestions on what I should put together.

I want to use the factory crank
whatever i build will be NA
It will be a manual trans
factory managment, hp tuners
I want something in the 400-425 whp range
Pump gas
headers, exhaust and cai are a given.

What cam/intake/head combo do you all suggest? Should i have the factory heads ported, or are the 243's going to be the best routeto get me there? Will the factory manifold do the job?

As the motor was free, I want to stay out of the whole "well your already there" trap that ends up with the original block and notheing else. I am really good at getting caught in that situation where an affordable, completely capable combo turns into waaaaaayyyyy more then needed.

After A bunch of reading I have figured that a set of stock, used, 243 heads milled for around 11.2 cr, comp cam (xr281 or similar), associated valve springs, fast intake and tb, long tubes and good exhaust will get me my goal useing factory rods with arp bolts and pistons.
Does this sound legit?
Thanx for the insight.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:23 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your bottom paragraph sounds right. 243s will be cheaper than ported 241s. You might want a cam a touch bigger than the xr281 also.

Bigger injectors wouldn't hurt either.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You sound like you are on the right track. I would definitely go with the 243s or 317s bc they are so cheap. If its an 01 then it should have an ls6 intake which should work just fine with your setup