New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 trans am help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 trans am help

hey guys i picked up a t/a 2 months ago and is currently away for the winter...im leaving for boot camp in a few months and wanting to do a little bit of work before and major work when i come back from boot camp....i bought the car with cam. full exhaust. air lid. tune. 160 degree. maf sensor. short shifter...stock trans clutch and rear...im planing on a clutch but can you help me out with anything else that wouldnt require a major amount of work...and if anyone knows exactly what would be necessary for me to replace my rear to a 12bolt would be greatly appreciated...thank you
Old 01-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

i would go with a Monster brand clutch...maybe level 2 or 3. I've got a level 2 and love the feel of it. It's attached to a Tick master cylinder so that could have something to do with it (awesome upgrade as well).

Last edited by boostedbird38; 01-30-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go the rear and gears section for some helpful threads, and maybe look in the used parts section for a rear axle for sale.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

9" rears hold up better than 12's on a M6 car... You can get them so you can even keep ABS if it matters to you.... Stange, Currie, Midwest Fab, Moser several make them and other than a little swaybar work sometimes to make to make the housing clear it's not too bad of a job. Some on here report the torque arm on the Moser's sometimes work loose because of the way the mount is fabbed but I have 3-4 buddies running that rear and they have never had an issue...

Edit: Agree with Boosted DEFINITELY get a Tick master. It is a BIG upgrade....
Old 01-30-2011, 03:57 PM

when i go to replace the rear what should i order..all the other options are a little confusing...a friend an I plan on doing it...is there any welding involved or mods to the car i will have to make to work with a 9inch
Old 01-30-2011, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seanbattles
when i go to replace the rear what should i order..all the other options are a little confusing...a friend an I plan on doing it...is there any welding involved or mods to the car i will have to make to work with a 9inch
Swapping in a 9in in a garage may be quite a bit of work. Like everyone else said check out the Driveline section, and do some research there. I would personally find a reputable/knowledgeable vendor and call them. See exactly what you need, what work it's going to take, and a price point too.

And +2 on the Tick MC, they work wonders, you don't want your clutch pedal to stick when your bangin' gears!

Might want to look into upgrading from stock brakes as well, if your car is fast you want to be able to stop fast too...
Old 01-30-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

my 12 bolt went right in. no welding needed
Old 01-30-2011, 06:17 PM

thanks guys and yeah ordering the new clutch in the next few days with the tick master i have noticed that the pedal has gotten stuck before and just pulled it back up with my foot then ill look up at the driveline to decide which rear i want...this is going to be coming down to camp lejeune with me next year towing it the whole way
Old 02-02-2011, 03:00 AM
12 Second Club

first....thanks for serving our country. I just retired from the Navy in July 2010. I have a 2001 M6 with a Moser 9", 4.10. for Major: I would look at getting a rear end with 1350 yoke, 4.10's. LCA's, after market adj Tq Arm, relocated Tq arm trans mount. 3.5 drive shaft that will fit the 1350 yoke, Drag sway bar. minor: clutch as mentioned befre and subframes connectors.