New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convertible or t top

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do NOT have to have t-tops to go fast. It might take a little extra work to make it "sturdy" but the final product will look just as good if not better then a T-top.

This is just one of my favorite convertibles. Theres nothing like standing out to put a smile on your face
Old 02-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first car was an '89 Formula 350 with t-tops and I loved it. So much so that I bought a t-top z. It's awesome driving with the t-tops off. Definitely go t-top car
Old 02-05-2011, 11:01 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Do what I did and get both...
Old 02-06-2011, 01:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 Camaro Z28

I'm usually the only person with a 6-speed 'vert SS at a car show. I'm not trying to say it's rare, but it's not your typical Bright Rally Red, automatic, cloth interor Camaro.

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
The biggest thing I do not like about a vert for a DD is there is a lot wind noise at highway speeds like these cars are not noisy enough already....
not true.

I can hold a conversation, in person or on the phone with the top down and windows up.

Originally Posted by bestlude
ttops definately, girls love it too if you go cruisin or somthin, you'll look
haha
You got that the other way around, have fun taking the ttops off and CAREFULLY PLACING THEM IN THE HATCH WHILE ...I steal your girl.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 02-06-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Leaky tops or back glass falling just depends on what conditions the car lived in.
Mine has seen 4 NE winters and lived in NC before that outside of garage.

The vert doesn't have the option to have a subwoofer like the ttops do, so if you really want one, you 'd be taking up the trunk space.

When the top is up, I feel that it kills the curves of the car, especially on a car like fbodies. But Top down is simply cool.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just pick what you want, it's going to be your car not ours.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

Go the vert! Youll never look back. Everyone has T Tops. Its just a half assed way of dropping the top! do it right and drop it completely!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:30 AM
Rockstar

I've had both hard top and vert. I absolutely hated the hard top. I just felt claustrophobic. With the top down it just adds to the experience. I'm now a purist and will only buy the convertible versions of cars in the future.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:18 AM
TECH Addict

convertibles are nice in good weather but am not a fan. id go with t tops anyday but to each their own. you cant go wrong with both.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:27 AM
On The Tree

I frikkin love my vert!
I would not recommend it to anyone though.
1. top maintenance and repairs - sucks
2. road noise
3. body flex
4. stereo sucks with the top down
5. have to install a rollcage for the track
Old 02-11-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer the look of a T-top car rather than the Convertible in an F-body. This, plus the fact that I wanted and LSx Firebird Formula, which was not offered as a convertible, made me get a T-top car first.

But, now that I have a T-top car I REALLY want a convertible as well.

My wife has a 98 Mustang Convertible. And although its never gonna touch my 99 Formula in performance and looks, its pretty cool to cruise thru town with the top down. My next F-body will definitely be a Convertible 4th Gen Firebird.

Whatever you chose, T-top or Convertible, please don't be one of those guys who drive their car around with the top down or the T-tops out and the windows rolled up.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Whatever you chose, T-top or Convertible, please don't be one of those guys who drive their car around with the top down or the T-tops out and the windows rolled up.
Hey, I do that all the time when the weather is cool, especially on some summer nights. It lets me get more than three month's use out of the tops.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
Hey, I do that all the time when the weather is cool, especially on some summer nights. It lets me get more than three month's use out of the tops.
I mean no disrespect. And, of course, you can do to your vehicle whatever and drive it however you wish.

To me it makes no sense. If the weather is too cool to have your windows down, then its too cool to have the Top down or T-tops out.

Along with this, I also think it looks ridiculous.

I'm not attempting to antagonize anyone into an argument here. I'm simply stating my opinion. Maybe someone who agrees with you will post up their thoughts on this that may change my mind. But for now, I see no reason that justifies driving around with my windows rolled up, but no top on the car.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I mean no disrespect. And, of course, you can do to your vehicle whatever and drive it however you wish.

To me it makes no sense. If the weather is too cool to have your windows down, then its too cool to have the Top down or T-tops out.

Along with this, I also think it looks ridiculous.

I'm not attempting to antagonize anyone into an argument here. I'm simply stating my opinion. Maybe someone who agrees with you will post up their thoughts on this that may change my mind. But for now, I see no reason that justifies driving around with my windows rolled up, but no top on the car.
I'll roll the windows up if I have the T-tops off and I'm driving on the interstate. It dramatically cuts down on the turbulence.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

I also drive with the top down and windows up for few reasons.

1. On highways to avoid crazy amounts of wind hitting my face along with other crap.
2. A little privacy so I'm not setting up my self to stupid conversations with ricers.
3. The wind draft is very different if you only have top down/ttops off with the windows down as opposed to up.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 02-12-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
2. A little privacy so I'm not setting up my self to stupid conversations with ricers.
I was driving home from work around 11 one night. Decided to drive through town.
I get stuck at a Railroad crossing.
Theres these gang bangers in a old acura with all the windows busted out one lane over and a car or two back.
They started laughing at me. I couldn't do anything except blare some loud rock music and roll up the windows and throw up the wind screen, but the top is manual so it's still down.
They laugh harder. They look like they make about 5K a year off welfare checks.
After the train they coast next to me laughing and pointing at me. I couldn't get away cause of traffic.
At one point they ask if I suck dicks.
I say no, they ask again.
At this point I would have gladly shot their tires out if I had a gun.
I eventually got the chance to block them in behind a wreck, and slowed down till they were stopped behind it.
Then I gunned it and lost them.

Moral of the story? You tell me.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah man thats a good reason of why privacy with windows up is necessary sometimes.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Latch
I'll roll the windows up if I have the T-tops off and I'm driving on the interstate. It dramatically cuts down on the turbulence.
Cutting wind turbulence is understandable, but to me that's just part of having the Top down or the T-tops out. It's not as enjoyable if you don't have the wind in your hair.

I also drive with the top down and windows up for few reasons.

1. On highways to avoid crazy amounts of wind hitting my face along with other crap.
Maybe this cuts down the wind in the face of anyone in the back seats, but the driver and passenger front have the Windshield. Definitely gonna get your hair ruffled, but not really wind in your face. You make it sound as though you're riding a Motorcycle.

City driving with the Top down will always risk an encounter with a chatty fellow motorist or passenger. If "privacy" is what you're looking for then why drop the top and expose yourself to the outside world at all? If this is the case, leave the top up.

3. The wind draft is very different if you only have top down/ttops off with the windows down as opposed to up.
Again, turbulence is just part of the fun of not having a roof on the car. It exposes you to the elements. Enjoy them.

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
I was driving home from work around 11 one night. Decided to drive through town.
I get stuck at a Railroad crossing.
Theres these gang bangers in a old acura with all the windows busted out one lane over and a car or two back.
They started laughing at me. I couldn't do anything except blare some loud rock music and roll up the windows and throw up the wind screen, but the top is manual so it's still down.
They laugh harder. They look like they make about 5K a year off welfare checks.
After the train they coast next to me laughing and pointing at me. I couldn't get away cause of traffic.
At one point they ask if I suck dicks.
I say no, they ask again.
At this point I would have gladly shot their tires out if I had a gun.
I eventually got the chance to block them in behind a wreck, and slowed down till they were stopped behind it.
Then I gunned it and lost them.

Moral of the story? You tell me.
That sucks, man, but it sounds like rolling the windows up, didn't give you the "privacy" you were looking for. They still messed with you. I'm all for you blasting their tires out (or for-that-matter, the low-lives, themselves). Good call, but you'd probably wanna shoot at them with the windows down, right? What exactly is the moral of the story? Carry a gun if you're gonna have your top down?

Again guys, I'm not trying to **** you off or persuade you into driving your rides any differently, but none of your points have convinced me. Top is dropped or T-tops come out, the windows go down in a car I'm riding in.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Rockstar

I agree with you, just sayin the windows up top down doesn't really accomplish much.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I'm going to be doing 60MPH for more than 10 minutes, the windows go up. It makes a world of difference in comfort.

But as soon as I get into town, the windows go down. Windows up with the top down just looks so gay.

Quick Reply: convertible or t top