Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got number 8 from the top. had to lay on the battery to get it
Old 02-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I did was remove the AIR tube on the passenger side. Other then that, piece of cake. #8 can easily be gotten at from the bottom. You will have to cram your arm against the catalytic converter, but really its not so bad, and my arms arent small either. Ive done 2 Ls1 tuneups now, 1st one took like 2 hours not knowing what I was doing, 2nd one took like 1.5hours taking it easy. Just be patient and you will get it, dont use a lot of antiseize either!!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

#8 is easy from the bottom. Put the car up on ramps, and you can just reach right up and get it if you have stock manifolds. Just let the car cool, you don't want to burn yourself on the cat.

IIRC I put the plug socket on the plug, then a box end wrench on the plug socket. I was even able to change the wire from underneath, which was great because I could barely get my hand on it from up top.

I even left my coils on. I started to take them off, but the bolts under the cowl were suchaPITA I just said forget it, and I left them there. Only thing I actually removed was the AIR tube on the manifold, I just unbolted it at the manifold and pushed it out of the way.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

gotta change mine soon.. ****.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im going to do my plugs when i take out the manifolds and install some longtubes.. should make it ALOT easier for my 1st time, thank god i have a lift too LOL
Old 02-22-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Plug changes are not a big deal people. I first looked at the how-to's and thought there's no way I'm takin' off the coils. The only thing I removed was the AIR tube on the pass. side exhaust manifold. Number 8 you get from the bottom the rest from the top. There's no reason to be nervous. Just take your time and you will be fine.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Yeah, I started to take the coils off, then realized it was a waste of time. I think I spent more time messing with that on the pass side than that I spent actually changing the plugs.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

Just did mine last weekend, was not as hard as I expected. I dunno why everyones poo-pooing the coil pack removal though, it's easy as **** and makes crap a ton easier to reach, did the last plug from the top, no problem. Hardest thing was getting the plug wires on/off the spark plugs believe it or not.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

i have to disagree ^ . pulling my coils off took wayyy more time trying to do than going from underneath. i finally stuck all the screws i could get off back in and went from bottom but thats just me. you prefer bein on top, i prefer layin on my back. whatever works best
Old 02-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Teching In

All this talk is making me want to go out and do mine now lol. Ive heard its a pain, but Im sure it wont be that bad. Im putting on some long tubes when I do mine this spring, so that should make it easier. Even if its a pain the end result will be worth it!! Im excited for spring!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99ls1zam
i have to disagree ^ . Pulling my coils off took wayyy more time trying to do than going from underneath. I finally stuck all the screws i could get off back in and went from bottom but thats just me. You prefer bein on top, i prefer layin on my back. Whatever works best
lol!!!!:d
Old 02-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Launching!

Heh..there isn't really a technique(well there are, but everyone does it differently). Just man up lol, nothing we say or suggest will make it magically happen for you. With a little time and effort and a lot of tears and cursing they can be replaced ha ha.
#8 for me when I had AC and all that other jazz was easiest via the bottom. Otherwise all other seven were easy to moderate in difficulty. I also ran Tr6s when i was spraying. Changed them monthly too.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Why monthly? Do they burn up that quick with nitrous?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

I spent hours trying to get that #8 plug, longer than all the rest of the plugs put together (actually did them a day apart). I learned three things that made it magically happen in about 15mins once everything clicked (of course after removing the air tubes and whatnot):

1) I'm not sure if i'm dumb or people saying go from teh bottom are crazy, but I found absolutely *no* way that that was even remotely possible.

2) U-Joints for ratchets are god's gift to gearheads. After buying them for this, I constantly find other uses for them. Just drop the cash and pickup a set that has 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" drive U-Joints, you'll thank me later.

3) Getting the wrench ON the plug wasn't that big of a deal, but getting it on in such a way that I could actually apply pressure to the plug and/or be able to apply pressure w/o feeling like I was going to snap it off was the real trick. I found the only way I could do this was put a towel across the side of the car/on the battery, climb up in the enginebay with my knees on the battery (feet overhanging the front of hte car), and approach the plug directly from the top down. Once I did this, boom everything was done in a matter of minutes.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Myrdhyn
3) I found the only way I could do this was put a towel across the side of the car/on the battery, climb up in the enginebay with my knees on the battery (feet overhanging the front of hte car), and approach the plug directly from the top down. Once I did this, boom everything was done in a matter of minutes.
Yup! That's how I did mine. Right hand bracing myself on the intake, left hand pulling straight up on the ratchet. I actually didn't even need any u-joints, I just used a 2" and .75" extensions as needed.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 AM
Staging Lane

I couldnt seem to get mine from the bottom either. I also have long tubes. but my best advice get em all from the top, but everyone will find there way. OR you can just change 7 and leave the last one LMAO!!! Good luck~!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Yup! That's how I did mine. Right hand bracing myself on the intake, left hand pulling straight up on the ratchet. I actually didn't even need any u-joints, I just used a 2" and .75" extensions as needed.
Exactly, right hand on the intake, left hand on the ratchet. Truth be told, I don't remember if I used the u-joint for this particular plug or not, but I know I purchased and used them at some point during the spark plug ordeal. They made the job easier, and I've used them a ton since then.

This is a bit annoying at first, but having done it once and figuring out how it was done, I feel confident I could change all 8 plugs in probably half an hour, certainly an hour.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Myrdhyn
This is a bit annoying at first, but having done it once and figuring out how it was done, I feel confident I could change all 8 plugs in probably half an hour, certainly an hour.
I agree. Next time around will probably be a snap.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

easiest way to get to your plugs is to delete your AC
Old 02-24-2011, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Geez guys, find yourself a woman or child with small hands. My son has done that last plug since he was 6. Now he's older and hands are bigger so my 8yr old daughter has been trained

With the wrench on be sure and check for tightness yourself but they can do all the threading and unthreading for you