New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Years of waiting :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011 | 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

U got one helluva deal sir!........did u say mud flaps and license plate bracket?
Old 04-11-2011 | 09:00 PM
Launching!

yes mud flaps... i know i know but if you guys drove on these roads its either mud flaps ora nice chunk of paint missing behind all 4 tires. and yes license plate bracket... Ive been pulled over for that once and twice for window tint... :/ West Virginia never sounded so much better for once I know... Im getting shunned for this but it's either that and have mod money or just money for tickets... I drive passed State Highway Patrol Barracks everyday.

Edit: Anyone know how to find the exact problem with a mis-fire before I go on a tuning spree with GM? Car has been sitting a while what could be causing a miss fire? Ive checked a lot of sites they said plugs or burnt valves... Car is vibrating and is hesitating to take off.
Old 04-11-2011 | 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

I take it the previous owner did not mention the misfire? Maybe the o2s? What is the code its giving you?
Old 04-12-2011 | 03:20 PM
Launching!

I unfortunetly do not have this machine that tells me the code. I took it to advanced and all they told me was it was a mis-fire. the previous owner hasn't drove the car since last August and when he parked it. It did not have a SES light. maybe an o2 sensor.. I hope it is not a pushrod or burnt valve.. but if it is I will definetly be getting more reliable ones. Its schduled to go to a Chevy garage Tuesday I do not have time to fix it and they are more professional than I am. I checked the outside of the motor the plugs and wires look very recently changed. This car was very well maintained I can see that he took care of more than just the paint job.
Old 04-12-2011 | 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Hopefully its nothing serious. I just find it odd that it would all of a sudden do this when you bought it.
Old 04-12-2011 | 08:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dee99gt
Hopefully its nothing serious. I just find it odd that it would all of a sudden do this when you bought it.
no unfortunetly it was like this when we bought it. I test drove it and it ran fine. It seems like its getting worst but not to the point where it is being a huge issue.. even if it is something as serious as a bent push rod.. the car only cost 11,500 and it books for 13. and with my old camaro practically sold... the money from my old one turns into mod money for this one ford 9" here i come
Old 04-13-2011 | 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

congrats I had a similar wait, was well worth it!
Old 04-13-2011 | 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

i dont think the light would turn on if it was a pushrod or valve....You need to get the code checked and post the code number on here so we can help you out better. Its probly something simple that GM is gonna charge you an arm and a leg to replace. do you know if it was a multiple engine misfire or just a random misfire? Could be alot of things, wires,plugs,o2 sensors, coils, or even low fuel pressure like a clogged up fuel filter or injector.
Old 04-13-2011 | 09:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camaro981289
i dont think the light would turn on if it was a pushrod or valve....You need to get the code checked and post the code number on here so we can help you out better. Its probly something simple that GM is gonna charge you an arm and a leg to replace. do you know if it was a multiple engine misfire or just a random misfire? Could be alot of things, wires,plugs,o2 sensors, coils, or even low fuel pressure like a clogged up fuel filter or injector.
to be honest the car doesn't miss usually.. but when it does you can feel it. Take offs are a real pain. It feels like it lugs even if you pop the clutch. It's very shakey and jerky on gears 1 through 3rd. 4th it starts to smoothe out. if you rev up to 2200 on take offs it doesn't shake as bad but thats hurting fuel economy. im only pulling 15 mpg :/ im going to advanced again tomorrow to see if i can get the full code. if they dont there is 4 other car shops in that town. Ill give you guys the code tomorrow. Im having strong beliefs it is an o2 sensor. The car runs VERY strong at high revs. she pulls like a freight train. the previous owner never ran it hard and i have personally only experienced passed 4k RPMs twice... needless to say... a 2010 Challenger R/T (a5 slap shift?) has been spanked on a 55 roll to 120.. Ls1 shows no mercy even with a mis-fire. 1-0 new pictures have been added to the fquick by the way (motor & interior) ill keep everyone posted. this car will be a big project over the years. Thanks all for the advice. Much is appreciated here.

Edit: Window Stickers have been added to the fquick as well... althought the prices are unclear (cell phone again) The car cost 30,025.00 brand new in 2001 if that tells you anything. From the looks of it he bought every option availiable at the time without receiving an Ultra Z or GMMG.. I don't even know if this is a sin to drive it.. but to be honest. I wash it everytime it rains to get the road dirt off of her and wash her every nice day out... If she ever gets a scratch on her I can't get out someone call an ambulance

Last edited by versz; 04-13-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2011 | 07:27 AM
Launching!

You should maybe think twice about pushing your car so hard when you have a SES warning light on. You waited 4 years to find your dream car, take some time and care to get it running right before something worse goes wrong.

Nice car btw, and a great price if the issue is minor
Old 04-14-2011 | 04:20 PM
Teching In

not a bad price for that mileage
Old 04-14-2011 | 04:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by floodofnoise
You should maybe think twice about pushing your car so hard when you have a SES warning light on. You waited 4 years to find your dream car, take some time and care to get it running right before something worse goes wrong.

Nice car btw, and a great price if the issue is minor
very true.. which is why i have yet to hear what it sounds like passed 5k... it dont take much to outrun an R/t but here are the codes for those of you wondering

Code(s)
P0174 bank 2 system too lean.
P0300 random multiple misfire detected
P0300 random multiple misfire detected

I had the guy at Advanced Auto Parts check it. Then I went to AutoZone and had them re-check it. He deleted the SES light but i realized it was coming on and off at home. revving to 3k or so rpm's flashes it. and at idle it does too..

from my understanding from a local mechanic it could be one of the three things. Coil packs, Spark Plug, Spark Plug Wire. what are your guys' thoughts on this? I'll say it again. Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback I have yet to hear any bad... And thank you all of my ls1tech buddies who are trying to fix this eye sore of a SES light for me Your more helpful than the local dealership.
Old 04-14-2011 | 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like there's a clogged injector if it's running too lean.. Could be a bunch of things, but before dropping major $$ at the mechanic run some fuel system cleaner through it and see if that helps anything. It's usually $5 or $6 at autozone and if it fixes the misfire it's a hell of a lot cheaper than what a mechanic would've charged you. ****, I would run that stuff thru there even if it ran perfectly just because it's new to you and who knows what's been in there.
Old 04-14-2011 | 07:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02firehawkT/A
Sounds like there's a clogged injector if it's running too lean.. Could be a bunch of things, but before dropping major $$ at the mechanic run some fuel system cleaner through it and see if that helps anything. It's usually $5 or $6 at autozone and if it fixes the misfire it's a hell of a lot cheaper than what a mechanic would've charged you. ****, I would run that stuff thru there even if it ran perfectly just because it's new to you and who knows what's been in there.
Well the owner did say he always used 89 octane (plus here) which is what i used to run in my 3.4L just cause I don't trust 87 with anything. I have been running premium in it. so i got a question. Do you guys run premium? and what do you recommend as a gas treatment? I used a fuel system cleaner from stp (grey bottle) from walmart in my 3.4L camaro and it kind of helped it when it missed. I read about sea foam but they're calling for a full spark plug and wire + oil change job.. maybe if i had a good day to do it. I checked my ls1's plugs today.. how the hell do you get to the passenger side last one?
Old 04-14-2011 | 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

i run ultra from Sunoco.

and as far as the passenger spark plug it'll be a lot like this

Old 04-14-2011 | 07:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wimimc
and as far as the passenger spark plug it'll be a lot like this

I figured as much lol... that's why I was thinking they changed every plug on the car but that one. It looks like he sprung for MSD spark plug wires. I have yet to take one off to see what plugs it has. I don't like touching art work :X
Old 04-14-2011 | 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool

nice. very clean.

i rarely see these cars with cloth interior.
Old 04-14-2011 | 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by versz
I figured as much lol... that's why I was thinking they changed every plug on the car but that one. It looks like he sprung for MSD spark plug wires. I have yet to take one off to see what plugs it has. I don't like touching art work :X
it can be made a little easier. take the AIR piping, take off all the coil packs, i hear if you have longtube headers it will be easier.
Old 04-14-2011 | 10:11 PM
On The Tree

If you have LTs the easiest way is to put the front up on ramps or use jack stands and get it from the bottom. That was the easiest way for me at least.
Old 04-16-2011 | 10:40 AM
Launching!

I put Lucas in her last night along with a full tank of premium. Hopefully this fixes my mis-fire problem. The light hasn't gone off yet but in a 20 mile drive I didn't experience any misfires going up hills or anything. Only time will tell.. if this doesn't work I'll start going through the motor.

Quick Reply: 4 Years of waiting :)