Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detonation Issue!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detonation Issue!!!!

Just bought a 2001 ss Camaro with cat back and slp lid with smooth bellow. It has 100k on it .. I put about 1000 miles on it since i got it it has had a detonation problem since it is now getting warmer out it is getting worse... I went over the entire intake(replaced the intake manifold gaskets). and vacuum system and the fuel pressure is all good..... The car is an R title so i have no idea what could be or was ever done to it. I purchased it from the man who reconstructed it....runs strong I also did plugs and wires returning it to stock plugs... it had the stupid ones with 4 contacts. So with all that done and it still doing it i figured why not try better fuel... i put about 5 gallons of vp race fuel in 3/4 tank 93 octane..........Detonation GONE!...... could the car have an aggressive tune? or is the higher octane just masking a problem by not combusting as soon?......I am stumped.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

clean the maf sensor. clean the throttle body. change fuel filter?
knock sensors? any check engine light codes?
Old 05-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Teching In

i cleaned the maf and throttle body also changed the fuel filter. Did not do anything with knock sensors and there is no check engine light on.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Teching In

within the first 500 miles it threw a low cat efficiency code.... 50 miles later it was gone and hasn't come back. I was thinking about buying a predator tuner to put their tune in to see if it stops or atleast check my spark and kr....worth it?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:38 AM
Teching In

Cats are going bad. Same thing I just went through. Light would stay on for a day or so then off for a day or so. Everytime I romped it the light would trigger soon after. Mine didn't looked clogged when I shined a maglight through them but it is hard to tell.