Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering whine :-(

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation power steering whine :-(

I recently got heads, cam , stall, and headers installed. i never had a problem with my power steering making noises before. After the install, everything seemed to be working okay, but about 5 days after the install it snowed and I went outside to start my car and it started whining like crazy. Now, it whines all the time. I have pinpointed the sound to the power steering. When the pulley is hit with wd40 or anything oily it stops squeaking, but shortly after begins to squeal again. I'm not sure if the guy who put on my heads and cam bled the system but i know it was fine til it got cold. still drives just like before and it doesnt matter whether i am turning or not, still makes the same noise....can one of you more experienced guys help a brother out, please? im dying over here man.....
Old 05-25-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

your pump just may be going out.... sometimes the belts can make a lot of noise if you get cooland or oils on it, so make sure its not that. but if you are spraying wd40 on the back-side of the pulley where it attaches to the shaft, and that helps, then its just the pump. you could find one used pretty cheap on here
Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Teching In

so you really think the pump is going out? even though it still drives exactly the same as before?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Change the belt. Something probably got on it or it's just old. It's the easiest place to start. Got mine (bando, outlast your car) from Amazon for $13.00, took 10 minutes to put it on. (I recommend this while the car is cold) I just had the same issue. Seemed to be motivated by moisture. Any rain, fog, etc. (snow). The shot of lube eventually quit working. It drove me nuts. Worst case scenario thats not it and you've got a new belt for, $13.00. Then look into the power steering pump. If it was the pump itself, it would not go away with a shot of lube, if anything it could be the pumps pulley. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spydermonkey
Change the belt. Something probably got on it or it's just old. It's the easiest place to start. Got mine (bando, outlast your car) from Amazon for $13.00, took 10 minutes to put it on. (I recommend this while the car is cold) I just had the same issue. Seemed to be motivated by moisture. Any rain, fog, etc. (snow). The shot of lube eventually quit working. It drove me nuts. Worst case scenario thats not it and you've got a new belt for, $13.00. Then look into the power steering pump. If it was the pump itself, it would not go away with a shot of lube, if anything it could be the pumps pulley. Good luck.
so, how could i replace the pumps pulley? I know that the pulley requires a puller to get it off, but where could i get another pulley from? i have recently replaced the belt (less than 1000 miles ago) so i really dont think that is what it could be. I got a gatorback.....so the lube would not stop the pump itself from squeaking? so its just stopping the pulley from squeaking....hmmmm interesting....
Old 05-26-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turn One makes a nice billet pulley. I paid about $60 for mine and got it in 3-4 days. I think there are cheaper billet pulleys on ebay too.....

Sounds to me mor like the bearings in your pump are shot though.... I got my reman pump for $50-$60
Old 05-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Spray the lube on the other side of the motor. Not where the PS pump and alternator are. If the squeaking stops, that will eliminate the power steering pulley for sure. The mileage on the belt doesn't really matter if the mechanics got something on it.

Quick Reply: power steering whine :-(