New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticking noise please help

Old 05-17-2011, 06:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking noise please help

02 collectors edition ws6, it has 109965miles on it, it ticks when I start it and when it gets warm it gets a little less noticeable but never goes away like other people have explained about their ticking. I just changed my oil and since then it seems to be louder than normal.its got good oil pressure and plenty on the dippstick.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS1's are known for piston slap and if thats what your hearing, its not uncommon. IF the tick is constant and does not go away, in the past I have seen lifter issues, worn out or damaged lobes and generally wipes out the cam.

Unfortunately unless I am there its hard to know where it it is coming from.

If you have some good recording equipment, try to get some audio.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

I'd take it to one of the good FBody shops out your way and have them check it out
Old 05-17-2011, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Ok cool ill have to try that it sounds like a sewing machine
Old 05-18-2011, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Was this the one over at autoline?

If so i assume you are in or around Jax if so look up Doc at Efi alchemy good guys that can help with all your ls1 needs.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be a lifter or an oil pump. i wouldnt ignore this.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:20 PM

I have the same problem with my wifes car. I am deployed right now so I can't look at it. We are from the coast of North Carolina so RPM is close by. Anyone know how good Majestic Motorsports is with LS motors? I had steel in my oil so I imagine it's from the lifters.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by littleroy14
I have the same problem with my wifes car. I am deployed right now so I can't look at it. We are from the coast of North Carolina so RPM is close by. Anyone know how good Majestic Motorsports is with LS motors? I had steel in my oil so I imagine it's from the lifters.
Steel?? Like, shavings?? What color?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

I'm from morehead city NC private message me, I'm deployed to FL I can tell about some places to go and where not to I'm asumming your in Jacksonville NC Im like 45 min from there

Im currently in Jacksonville FL though
Old 05-23-2011, 07:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pretty normal for these cars with that mileage.pull the valve cover and check for any excessive play in the rocker arms .look for any needle bearings laying in the head..the trunnion bearings wear out to.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Did a lot of research on this and if it does it on start up its usually a lifter
Old 05-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Can this noise have anything to do with performing a radiator flush? Cuz I think I have the same issue on cold starts, like a chirping noise, it does actually sound like a sewing machine and I believe I started to notice it after a radiator flush. I might just be crazy and didn't notice it before and now that I noticed it, I blame it on whatever maintenance I did lol. If this is a natural problem, I'll accept it but I'll be pretty pist if this started happening because I did a radiator flush

Last edited by BoricuaHec01; 05-27-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:14 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Can this noise have anything to do with performing a radiator flush?
No. Any ticking or slaping that is related to valvetrain or piston events will not be effected in any way by a coolant flush.

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Cuz I think I have the same issue on cold starts, like a chirping noise and I believe I started to notice it after a radiator flush.
A chirping noise is not the same as a lifter or rocker tick, nor as piston slap. Chirping is usually the result of a belt or pulley issue. If you spilled some coolant on the pulley system it might have aggravated an already worn belt or pulley.

In regards to piston slap, for some cars it's pretty much constant. My '02 car will slap to some degree even once the engine is warm, the only time it stops is if the outside temps are above 75°F. I don't worry about it, because it's been this way for all the years and 10s of thousands of miles that I've owned it. Never gotten any better or worse, never caused any issues.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
No. Any ticking or slaping that is related to valvetrain or piston events will not be effected in any way by a coolant flush.

A chirping noise is not the same as a lifter or rocker tick, nor as piston slap. Chirping is usually the result of a belt or pulley issue. If you spilled some coolant on the pulley system it might have aggravated an already worn belt or pulley.

In regards to piston slap, for some cars it's pretty much constant. My '02 car will slap to some degree even once the engine is warm, the only time it stops is if the outside temps are above 75°F. I don't worry about it, because it's been this way for all the years and 10s of thousands of miles that I've owned it. Never gotten any better or worse, never caused any issues.
Thanks dude, that actually makes me feel alot better. I did do some research on this and a good handful of people say worn belt or pulley but it's something I'm not going to sweat over especially if the summer is here.

Search this Thread