New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Control A Must On A F-body?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested in NATASS weighing in on this.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

My 00 Formula is well-optioned, but when I pulled the data sheet from GM , it said "Y98 Delete" meaning no traction control. I've had two LT1 Firebirds and this one and have never had it and thus have never missed it.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Wow! So many posts so fast I didnt expect that many. Thanks for the heads up on the pros and cons. I have Traction Control on my Monte Carlo. Dont really need it. Just thought I would ask if it is any different on a real wheel drive sports car. Once again, Thanks, Derek
Old 02-26-2004, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Red face

I have ASR and it never brothered me. I don't understand.."ASR is such a hassle, pain" b*tch, b*tch... It's as if you jump in your car and the first thing that comes to mind is I need to turn it off so it won't interrupt my "drag" race to the store or work etc.. I think it's a good feature to have when the weather is bad and all. It has saved my *** a few times.. but that prolly means I can't drive.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1MONSTER
I have ASR and it never brothered me. I don't understand.."ASR is such a hassle, pain" b*tch, b*tch... It's as if you jump in your car and the first thing that comes to mind is I need to turn it off so it won't interrupt my "drag" race to the store or work etc.. I think it's a good feature to have when the weather is bad and all. It has saved my *** a few times.. but that prolly means I can't drive.
maybe you drive an under-modded, automatic ls1? everytime i powershift into 2nd, below 4000 rpms, under above-mild acceleration, i spin. with asr on, it scares the **** out of me. i hate asr. i think it's for the 17 year old girls that get an ls1 for christmas not knowing what the hell it is. i think it serves no other purpose than that. i've driven in the rain, sleet, and snow, and i've always started in 1st gear (as opposed to 2nd that some people will tell you to start in if weather is bad) and asr is always off. i've never needed it, and i've always felt above-safe when it comes to correcting whatever traction problems my car may have.

honestly, i think the probability of having a wreck from traction control scaring the **** out of you when it is in use (and thus wrecking your car from fright) is higher than the probability of having a wreck when you weren't using traction control. as funny as it may sound, i do believe that.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think the main problem here that everyone has with TCS is its not like a Traction Control system in a Formula 1 car or a Trans Am race car. Its not a "performance system" its something to prevent you from traction loss during normal driving conditions. Lets face it, surprisingly a lot of accidents happen when youre NOT doing something stupid. If youre gonna drive like a maniac, turn it off, it will only cut back on the fun, but for a normal drive for work, weve had some BRUTAL weather here in NY, and my Low Trac light shows up randomly during it, at no point is the engagement of it that scary that you would crash from it, its a very transparent system, and isnt this "pedal launcher" that everyone describes it as. If youre going 55mph and lose trachion its not going to lock the brakes and throw the pedal at you, GM would never put that on a car as youd wreck instantly. Try just driving normally wih it on and dont fight it and you'll see it works pretty damn well. BTW when I shift 1-2 my car rips the tires with the TCS on, the light comes on but it doesnt do anything, it is pretty fast acting and if the spinning stops it isnt gonna do anything to you.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

I hate the traction control, the first thing I do is turn it off when I get in, I'm puzzled that some people leave it on, but I think there is a difference between the ASR in my '99 and the later years. I think they improved on it, but it left me in a sticky spot one day, and never again will I leave it on.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Crager.......Where did you get a reverse switch for it at?
Old 02-27-2004, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

SLP sells one
Old 02-27-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My right foot is all the traction control I've ever needed.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
I think the main problem here that everyone has with TCS is its not like a Traction Control system in a Formula 1 car or a Trans Am race car. Its not a "performance system" its something to prevent you from traction loss during normal driving conditions. Lets face it, surprisingly a lot of accidents happen when youre NOT doing something stupid. If youre gonna drive like a maniac, turn it off, it will only cut back on the fun, but for a normal drive for work, weve had some BRUTAL weather here in NY, and my Low Trac light shows up randomly during it, at no point is the engagement of it that scary that you would crash from it, its a very transparent system, and isnt this "pedal launcher" that everyone describes it as. If youre going 55mph and lose trachion its not going to lock the brakes and throw the pedal at you, GM would never put that on a car as youd wreck instantly. Try just driving normally wih it on and dont fight it and you'll see it works pretty damn well. BTW when I shift 1-2 my car rips the tires with the TCS on, the light comes on but it doesnt do anything, it is pretty fast acting and if the spinning stops it isnt gonna do anything to you.
Well said... I totally agree. I spin my tires all the time with TCS turned on. I really cant tell a difference when it engages other than cutting my wheel spin down quite a bit.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 4mula1
I hate the traction control, the first thing I do is turn it off when I get in, I'm puzzled that some people leave it on, but I think there is a difference between the ASR in my '99 and the later years. I think they improved on it, but it left me in a sticky spot one day, and never again will I leave it on.

yes... you get that temporary loss of power and you could just be getting onto a busy road... don't ya wish you had that power back before the car you pulled out in front of hits your @ss
Old 02-27-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -=1984Dreamer=-
I just wanted some feedback from people with or without traction control. Do you guys think it is a must when getting a car such as a Camaro or Trans Am? Thanks, Derek
I have a 99' Bird and a 01' WS6 with the TCS. I drive them both in the winter. For higher speeds I feel safer with it on. But, for myself, in winter weather I turn it off since I learned to drive with some spin with a rear wheel drive and feel more comfortable with it. The TC kicked in too early at lower speeds when I needed some spin.

Also, if you go to the track sometimes it can be an annoyance from what I have heard.

For moderate driving in wet conditions it can be nice and for an inexperienced driver it could probably be a life saver.

Old 02-27-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

I always think of Cuda's Formula when I see that button...
Old 02-27-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

it would be nice if (hptuner/ls1edit) gave us some hacking abilities for it. That way we could tweak the ASR/TCS to our liking. or maybe more than on/off maybe a half-way in between.

You ever see those badass mercedes' rock out 11's with traction control on and street tires? obviously they got us on technology.

I say hack the ASR and make it cooler. It would be nice if there was a track mode where you got just a little big of timing retard on wheelspin, just enough to get a better 60.. Can't be that difficult if they've hacked the rest of the system.

werd.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont have it and i like it better without it anyways, my freinds ws6 has it and i always foget to turn it off while driving
Old 02-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

My 01 Formula doesn't have it and if it did I'd find a way to take it off or disable it. I like knowing that my car will be very predictable when the padal is mashed. Sideways is my middle name and I would't have it any other way. At least as a daily drive that is. I'm sure there are times on the track that it comes in handy?
Old 02-27-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Cool

I understand how this system can ruin your day when your having some fun or spending time at the track. Then it's a must to turn off. But It just seems as if "everyone" has to turn it off as soon as they jump in because they are going to be burning rubber every time they drive their cars to work and such... I'm just saying as far as "normal" driving concerns whats the point of "oh gawd must turn off ASR right this second!!!" I think everyone including myself likes seeing the "ASR off" lighted up on the dash.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't forget to turn it off and have at it with the local friendly slowstang, that is embarassing, DOH!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

It really doesn't bother me. When I want to drag, I turn it off. When I'm driving normally, I rarely need it. I had it come on a few times when I first got the car and didn't know how to drive in the rain. Sometimes, it comes on when I'm going over really bumpy Nashville roads too. For the most part, it only comes on when dragging or when you just did something dumb. I like the system (only because it has an off switch). I really wish that I could tune it's sensitivity so that it WOULD work like an F1 car, but I'm not going to remove it. I wouldn't call it a must have either. I wouldn't pay money for it.

Quick Reply: Traction Control A Must On A F-body?