New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Control A Must On A F-body?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about letting your wife/gf/sister drive the car?

SCAREY no asr.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

If it saves your life 1 time in the rain, I think it is well worth it.

That being said I am extremely happy that I have it, because sometimes your suprised when your car downshifts while trying to get around someone in the rain
Old 03-01-2004, 12:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by samz28
what about letting your wife/gf/sister drive the car?

SCAREY no asr.
What about NOT letting them drive it. I'd never let a rookie drive my car. **** happens too quick for a newb to know what to do when it gets sideways.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by samz28
and thats whats nice about ASR and rain/etc, give it too much gas, and you go somewhere.
That's just an excuse for not being able to drive...
Old 03-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Teching In

My buddy's eyes got big when he saw me turn mine off. I punched it, and we went sideways.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I backed out of a driveway that was about 75 yards long and covered in 5 inches of snow without any wheel slipping. I have a M6 and my brother has his auto firebird. He got stuck 5 times. I didnt slip once. Traction control is good for when you just want to drive the car around regularly.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like ASR, it's definitly saved my *** a couple times. The rear end wont stay put
Old 03-03-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I kinda agree it is a good feature for when your sister drives the car.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WECIV
I kinda agree it is a good feature for when your sister drives the car.
my sister wants me to teach her how to drive stick on my car.... Ehhh I dont think a Trans Am is the best learning tool!
Old 03-03-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think more accidents occur from someone tensing up and hitting something nearby when the traction control kicks in and scares the **** out of them than accidents that occur from when there is no traction control at work at all. honestly, i do. i definitely would not have it if i had a choice.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Accidents either happen because of lack of attention, or lack of experience. vehicle control systems aren't going to do anything to fix attention problems, and the only thing they're going to do about lack of experience is make it more prevalent.

It's a self propagating problem. Develop systems that try to compensate for driver error, and the drivers are going to rely on those systems. The more they rely on computer control, the less skill they're going to develop on their own. I don't see how anyone can argue with that cause skill is only developed through practice. Computer control systems eliminate that practice. We've had ABS long enough that many people don't even know what threshold braking is, much less how to do it. Eventually Traction control will be prevalent enough that the vast majority of people will have poor throttle control, and systems that can't be disabled will become the norm. These systems are pretty much making themselves necessary by slowly deteriorating and eventually eliminating drive skill in that area. Once that's done, it's on to the next stage. Look several decades into the future and take this trend to it's extreme, and what do we end up with? Maybe I'm wrong. I sure hope I am, but I really don't want to take the risk. Unfortunately, very few people have the same view.

I just hope that when the driver finally is completely removed from the equation, that I'm too old to enjoy the experience anymore.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

On my '98 it was great if you liked REVERSE WHIPLASH(ordered my '02 sans ASR). They must have improved it to hear everyone rant about how good it is. I was nearly run over by a truck because it decided to kick in when I hit a Armor All patch on the way out of a detailing shop. Scared the bejesus out of me. I was religious about turning it off from then on. Maybe the new ones are better, but I would never recommend the older version to my worst enemy. Including, in fact especially a new driver(which shouldn't be behind the wheel of a 350hp car in the first place).

MO,
Old 03-04-2004, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not have traction control on my M6.

To be honest, I thought I would need it when I got the car, but I was mistaken.

You don't need traction control; the TC on fbodys is somewhat useless, from what I hear. What you DO need is a GOOD set of tires. If you don't lose traction in the first place, no need for TC, get it?
Old 03-04-2004, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jRaskell
Accidents either happen because of lack of attention, or lack of experience. vehicle control systems aren't going to do anything to fix attention problems, and the only thing they're going to do about lack of experience is make it more prevalent.

It's a self propagating problem. Develop systems that try to compensate for driver error, and the drivers are going to rely on those systems. The more they rely on computer control, the less skill they're going to develop on their own. I don't see how anyone can argue with that cause skill is only developed through practice. Computer control systems eliminate that practice. We've had ABS long enough that many people don't even know what threshold braking is, much less how to do it. Eventually Traction control will be prevalent enough that the vast majority of people will have poor throttle control, and systems that can't be disabled will become the norm. These systems are pretty much making themselves necessary by slowly deteriorating and eventually eliminating drive skill in that area. Once that's done, it's on to the next stage. Look several decades into the future and take this trend to it's extreme, and what do we end up with? Maybe I'm wrong. I sure hope I am, but I really don't want to take the risk. Unfortunately, very few people have the same view.

I just hope that when the driver finally is completely removed from the equation, that I'm too old to enjoy the experience anymore.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

i just put the SLP asr-inverter on. It is a great compromise imo. If you start the car from "OFF" the ASR is off. If you start the car from "ACC/RUN" the ASR is on. I think this will be more fun, and uber-easy to leave asr-on in inclimate weather.

well worth the deal i got on it (thanks dude!). No more embarassing moments at the track lol.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:34 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I've got it on my car and I like if for the winter driving season and when the roads are wet. Other than that, it's really not necessary to me. It just happened to come on the car that I wanted, so that's why I have it.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought my car I specifically wanted one without traction control. Just added weight IMO
You only save the weight of the on/off switch. Traction Control is essentially weightless. TC consists of programming in the ABS and PCM. Basically, when the ABS system detects that the rear wheels are spinning faster than the fronts, it informs the PCM and the PCM retards timing.

Last edited by Gary Z; 03-07-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

ASR saved me returning from Pittsburgh to Buffalo NY. Coming up a hill on I-79, hit some black ice in 6th gear, rear started to come around, and the ASR was able to catch it before I could :-) . It surprised me so much I had to pull over to check for a flat.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

is abs any better on ASR cars?
Old 03-09-2004, 11:39 AM
11 Second Club

Agreed. Don't have it, need it, want it. Learn how to drive an old beat rear-wheel drive Delta 88. Once you know what that old boat will do, take that to your new car.....the same principles pretty much apply.

Quick Reply: Traction Control A Must On A F-body?