Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cops Vs Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by versz
Ceramics dont rust do they? Im looking for exhaust systems that are rust-resistant just cause of the northern weather. Can the TSR catback work with a Pacesetter X pipe? sorry for the newbie questions i have yet to put a full exhaust system on a car myself and this seems like the perfect time to do it with a few good friends.

Thanks for your help.
Ceramic-coated headers will rust out eventually. Depends on what the road conditions around you are like...my Pacesetters lost the ceramic coating on the lower primaries, merge and collector after the first winter, and after about 5 years looked horrible, but didn't leak anywhere. Other guys have gone years and their Pacesetters still look nearly new.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
No catback will bolt up to an X-pipe/true dual system. If you want to use an off-the-shelf catback, you'll need to stick with a Y-pipe. If you want a true dual system with an X-pipe, and want to use your stock CME tips (as you mentioned before), you'll need to do some custom fabrication (or have an exhaust shop do it) to mate up the true duals/X-pipe to the CME tips.
Can you have true duals with a Y pipe set up? Im not looking for a catback i can ditch that. I really have to keep the CME though.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:22 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Can you have true duals with a Y pipe set up?
Not possibile, they are mutually exclusive. The purpose of a Y-pipe is to merge the two exhaust banks (driver's and passenger's sides) together into one pipe (the I-pipe). The purpose of true duals is to do exactly the opposite (have a separate pipe for each bank from header to exhaust tip).

Adding an X-pipe to a true dual system is a type of crossover (there is also an H-pipe for this purpose). It allows exhaust pulses to cross between banks in an effort to improve scavenging.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get ride of the cats ,which ever exhaust style you go with I feel the magnaflows are the best at keeping sound level streetable.look at mufflers to compare at the ws-6 store.TSP has a good exhaust system.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Not possibile, they are mutually exclusive. The purpose of a Y-pipe is to merge the two exhaust banks (driver's and passenger's sides) together into one pipe (the I-pipe). The purpose of true duals is to do exactly the opposite (have a separate pipe for each bank from header to exhaust tip).

Adding an X-pipe to a true dual system is a type of crossover (there is also an H-pipe for this purpose). It allows exhaust pulses to cross between banks in an effort to improve scavenging.
How do you know what pipes will fit into certain combinations of exhaust set ups? Im thinking about just going with a ORY w/ LTs now. And keeping my same catback that came with the car. Thank you so much for all your help.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

How do you know what pipes will fit into certain combinations of exhaust set ups?
There are specific Y-pipes that fit certain headers, or you can always have a custom Y-pipe made. Any catback that was designed to be a stock replacement system should fit any Y-pipe, though in some cases you may need to shorten or lengthen the I-pipe at the connection point.

True duals are normally a custom item (however there have been two or three prefabbed systems offered over the years) that won't interchange with anything in a catback/Y-pipe system other than the headers and tips (everything inbetween is different). Some people have true duals dump under the cabin and don't even use tips at the bumper.

Im thinking about just going with a ORY w/ LTs now. And keeping my same catback that came with the car. Thank you so much for all your help.
That would work just fine.

Glad I was able to help explain.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Ive had 2 set ups on two different cars in the past 4 months

On the first car I had 3inch Magnaflow with a Y pipe that had fake cats and OBX Headers. The car wasn't too loud until i hit the gas. Once i hit the gas the thing was not only loud but sounded amazing.

Currently i got the same headers and Y Pipe with SLP LM1. With no cats its very loud. Its loud on idle and pretty much all the time. Been almost a month and no trouble with cops yet, whenever I them i always just coast past them. The car is really loud which i like now.

If you want a good sounding decently loud exhaust go with the magnaflow
Old 07-11-2011, 11:23 PM

They are total *********... (sorry theres no sugar coating that) :/ yeah nevermind im scrapping the header idea... You can have a cam and stuff with manifolds cant you? Im still going with hi-flow cats though.. or gut them.

Lets just say the cops (like me) dont really care about your loud pipes, I have SLP intake, GMMG exhaust and other toys on my SOM Z28. But I bet your neighbors that call and complain everytime time you crack it leaving your driveway do. You prolly got tire marks leaving your driveway...Having your neighbors call us all the time because you cant control your right foot will put a few paper souveniers in your glove box. Respect thier right to not hear your overly loud pipes, and they will stop calling us...cause you know, we always win

Last edited by colnajoe; 07-11-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im lucky all the cops that pull me over just tell me to cool it and let me go. Unless im being a moron in which case I deserve a ticket anyway. I have found male cops are more forgiving in car noise than female cops. At least in my experience. Same with front license plates (since I don't have one)
Old 07-14-2011, 01:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by colnajoe
Lets just say the cops (like me) dont really care about your loud pipes, I have SLP intake, GMMG exhaust and other toys on my SOM Z28. But I bet your neighbors that call and complain everytime time you crack it leaving your driveway do. You prolly got tire marks leaving your driveway...Having your neighbors call us all the time because you cant control your right foot will put a few paper souveniers in your glove box. Respect thier right to not hear your overly loud pipes, and they will stop calling us...cause you know, we always win
Nah no tire tracks and no tire squealing (gravel drive way...) Cooper Zeons are too expensive... I dont really have neighbors.. Im just saying. the guy before that owned the car before me in Ohio got away with 20% tinted windows, SLP SS front grille (no plate) and i bring it 40 miles away from where he is and have to take off my tint and replace my grille within a week of getting my hard earned graduation present? Please tell me your not that type of cop that would do that... I understand the grille but the tint protected my interior.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

F**k the police . I run loudmouth ll exhaust no cats , longtubes and my car is loud is **** ! No problems from cops but then again I wouldn't give a ****
Old 07-14-2011, 02:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

the guy before that owned the car before me in Ohio got away with 20% tinted windows, SLP SS front grille (no plate) and i bring it 40 miles away from where he is and have to take off my tint and replace my grille within a week of getting my hard earned graduation present?
How many tickets did you get in one week? Is there a cop on your daily route that has it in for you? I wouldn't have changed the grille over one ticket, or even a few tickets over a period of time. A front plate ticket just isn't a big deal to me, not like it's reckless driving or anything serious.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:35 AM
Teching In

i think most of the time (unless you're being obnoxious in a populated area) tint and exhaust is just a reason to pull you over and get some more tickets.. so i wouldnt carry anything that will earn you a bologna sandwich vacation and have some money set aside for the BS tickets

EDIT: maybe even check ohios law on the maximum decibels and do your exhaust accordingly. that way you can tell the cops where to put it when they want to harass you
Old 07-14-2011, 04:51 AM
TECH Resident

Stop driving like a typical teenager you wont get those tickets. Your 18 and have a fast car I know how it goes. I bought my first f body at 17.
Fyi you should have the slp dual dual not the loudmouth if its factory same exhaust my car has its rather quiet right? Easiest way to tell is look under your rear bumper if you have a muffler its the dual dual as loudmouth is only a resonator. Dual dual + long tubes and ory will still bequiet but open up when you get on it.

Last edited by oChristiano; 07-14-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Launching!

How many tickets did you get in one week? Is there a cop on your daily route that has it in for you? I wouldn't have changed the grille over one ticket, or even a few tickets over a period of time. A front plate ticket just isn't a big deal to me, not like it's reckless driving or anything serious.
The first time for tinted windows was just a paper warning. The second time for front grille after i did what he said and removed my tint he gave me one hell of a time to be honest for the front plate. He actually asked if he could search my car and when I said no I could see his eyes looking around. My T-tops were off and everything like i had anything to hide :/ It was even the same officer. And it was my daily route down the highway if that helps.

Originally Posted by oChristiano
Stop driving like a typical teenager you wont get those tickets. Your 18 and have a fast car I know how it goes. I bought my first f body at 17.
Fyi you should have the slp dual dual not the loudmouth if its factory same exhaust my car has its rather quiet right? Easiest way to tell is look under your rear bumper if you have a muffler its the dual dual as loudmouth is only a resonator. Dual dual + long tubes and ory will still bequiet but open up when you get on it.
I don't drive like a typical teenager. I drive better lol.
The exhaust that's on it is 'Ok' for loudness and very good for sound. Im looking to do a set up this winter when she's in storage so I dont waste any days out of this nice summer. Any recommendations for the LT's though? Or even a good ORY? Ohio has very poor climate i don't want anything that rusts. Thanks for your input by the way I just hope it all bolts together.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

The first time for tinted windows was just a paper warning. The second time for front grille after i did what he said and removed my tint he gave me one hell of a time to be honest for the front plate. He actually asked if he could search my car and when I said no I could see his eyes looking around.
Sounds like the plate was just an excuse to pull you over. Seems he was looking for something else out of that stop.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like the plate was just an excuse to pull you over. Seems he was looking for something else out of that stop.
agreed. happened to me all the time in my z71 (exhaust).

and colnajoe or w/e i might have read more than your first sentence if you hadn't chimed in first post playing the cop card.

as for the OP: if you do drive correctly and dont have a cop on your daily route that has it out for you then you should be fine. if they are messing with you now, then you will have hell to pay with illegal exhaust.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

both of mine are loud.. and i just stay off it.. because i know you can hear me from blocks away if i am on it.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oChristiano
I agree. It's mostly about how you drive not your exhaust that will make you a target for cops. I know my set-up is over the CA db limit. I have driven near cops and never have worried about being pulled over.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all the straight pipe Harley bozos in my area i'm not at all worried about my car being too loud.

Quick Reply: Cops Vs Noise