Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cops Vs Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cops Vs Noise

As usual... back to the drawing board once again due to police >.> here's my story... I got a 2001 Camaro SS 6 speed. I have the Center Mounted Performance exhaust option which I think only gives me the SLP Loudmouth I catback. Im looking to ditch the stock cats for hi-flow cats and ditch the manifolds for Kooks True Dual exhaust system (stainless steel) and run a True Dual X pipe for better flow into the SLP LMI's. Now here's my problem. Is this going to be too loud for cops? If it is...should i just get new stock emissioned cats?

I also planned on getting a Ms3 cam (114LSA) someday too.
We dont have emissions tests here... im from Ohio.
I planned on just tuning out the Rear O2s too by the way. Thanks for everyones feedback in advance.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't have emissions inspections cops have no reason to pop your hood to inspect anything but noise they may be able to give you a fix it ticket. You can always do what most people did before everything was bolt on and go to an exhaust shop and have something made that isn't annoying loud.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
If you don't have emissions inspections cops have no reason to pop your hood to inspect anything but noise they may be able to give you a fix it ticket. You can always do what most people did before everything was bolt on and go to an exhaust shop and have something made that isn't annoying loud.
I want an exhaust where the idle is lopey and a little bit louder... but when cruising it's got that nice tone to it like the car does when your running around 2k-3k rpm's... but when I get on it at the track... I want China to give up on making priuses im destroying the environment loud... Whats a quiet stainless steel header set up? Im from Ohio... but the car will be stored novermber through april.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless cops are very strict in youre area, i would go for it. Its kinda like window tint, or missing a front license plate. Just try not to give them a good reason to stop you. Most get away with it, others dont.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Unless cops are very strict in youre area, i would go for it. Its kinda like window tint, or missing a front license plate. Just try not to give them a good reason to stop you. Most get away with it, others dont.
yeah nevermind im scrapping the header idea... You can have a cam and stuff with manifolds cant you? Im still going with hi-flow cats though..

Last edited by versz; 12-02-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then yeah, headers really amplify the sound a lot. Unless youre already set on the ms3, you can also try looking for a different cam, theres a couple people running "sleeper" setups, where they have a cam but it sounds almost stockish.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:46 AM
Teching In

I have an ms3 cam, Lts, cat less, and at idle it is ridiculously loud but while cruising around it isnt that bad unless you get on the throttle.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With what I went through recently to pass CA emissions I regret going with all my mods. I think modifying your car and being much faster than stock while looking stock is better than going with an all out setup that maybe only gives an extra 50 hp anyways. If you want to be fast at the track but still look stock I would go with a high stall 4000+ rpm converter if your auto, gears, drag radial tires, TR cheatr cam and a nitrous outlet halo dry kit. You could keep your stock exhaust, appear completely stock, and be in the 11's easy.

Last edited by TurbopigB4C; 07-02-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M8vei3L0L8
Old 07-02-2011, 02:45 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Originally Posted by versz
I have the Center Mounted Performance exhaust option which I think only gives me the SLP Loudmouth I catback.
The optional performance exhaust (with or without center mount tips) would not have originally been the loudmouth. This option would have included the SLP dual/dual muffler, which is exponentially more quiet than a loudmouth. On the other hand, someone could have swapped out the dual/dual system for a loudmouth at some point, and still retained the CME tips. So the first step here is to determine exactly what you have.

Im looking to ditch the stock cats for hi-flow cats and ditch the manifolds for Kooks True Dual exhaust system (stainless steel) and run a True Dual X pipe for better flow into the SLP LMI's.
Assuming you have a LM1 catback attached to your CME, this plan will not work. The loudmouth system (I or II) only includes one resonator, in the single 3" I-pipe. If you want true duals, you cannot reuse any part of that catback other than the tips.

Now here's my problem. Is this going to be too loud for cops? If it is...should i just get new stock emissioned cats?
You can control noise by muffler choice and exit location. If you run the system all the way out the back (vs dumps under the car), and pick mufflers with more substance than the LM1 resonator (something like round or oval Magnaflows), then the volume won't be excessive.

Cats are not something I would consider unless you need them to pass an emissions test.

I want an exhaust where the idle is lopey and a little bit louder... but when cruising it's got that nice tone to it like the car does when your running around 2k-3k rpm's... but when I get on it at the track... I want China to give up on making priuses im destroying the environment loud...
Sounds to me like a cutout(s) might be the answer here. It will be stupid loud whenever you want, and when capped it will only be as loud as the muffler(s) you choose.

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
With what I went through recently to pass CA emissions I regret going with all my mods. I think modifying your car and being much faster than stock while looking stock is better than going with an all out setup that maybe only gives an extra 50 hp anyways. If you want to be fast at the track but still look stock I would go with a high stall 4000+ rpm converter if your auto, gears, drag radial tires, TR cheatr cam and a nitrous outlet halo dry kit. You could keep your stock exhaust, appear completely stock, and be in the 11's easy.
This concern does not apply to many areas of the country. For example, here in IL we have testing, but it's simply an OBD scan; no visual, no sniff. With proper tuning, you will pass even with LT headers, no cats and a massive cam.

If you leave CA, then you too can experience the joys of greater automotive freedom.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The optional performance exhaust (with or without center mount tips) would not have originally been the loudmouth. This option would have included the SLP dual/dual muffler, which is exponentially more quiet than a loudmouth. On the other hand, someone could have swapped out the dual/dual system for a loudmouth at some point, and still retained the CME tips. So the first step here is to determine exactly what you have.

Assuming you have a LM1 catback attached to your CME, this plan will not work. The loudmouth system (I or II) only includes one resonator, in the single 3" I-pipe. If you want true duals, you cannot reuse any part of that catback other than the tips.
Im assuming it's the factory catback. It is CME by the way. So would this plan work with the stock exhaust? The only thing I want to use out of this old exhaust system is the CME...
Old 07-02-2011, 11:30 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

The only thing I want to use out of this old exhaust system is the CME...
That's good, because it's the only part that you *could* reuse.

Regardless if it's the original dual/dual or an aftermarket loudmouth, you will not be able to reuse most of the piping and muffler/resonator if you're going to build a true dual system.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
That's good, because it's the only part that you *could* reuse.

Regardless if it's the original dual/dual or an aftermarket loudmouth, you will not be able to reuse most of the piping and muffler/resonator if you're going to build a true dual system.
all right well i have a question... This is my dream setup i went with kooks cause they advertised to me the only true dual exhaust system. can you run. Pacesetter Long Tubes. going into a SLP LM1 Exhaust CME? and if so... can anyone please show me the part numbers? that is my perfect dream set up.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:23 AM
On The Tree

PaceSetter PN #70-1349 00-02 Camaro/Firebird, 5.7L LS1

Heres a video I found that you can check out

http://www.fquick.com/videos/Camaro_..._and_Idle/5114

Headers:
Pacesetter Long Tube Ceramic 1 3/4" Headers

Y/X/H-pipe:
Pacesetter Off Road Y-Pipe

Catback:
Texas Speed Rumbler 3" Catback

" They are total *********... (sorry theres no sugar coating that) "

and by the way... you have a Red Camaro SS, you are going to attract attention from the Law even sitting still. Also, there are many ( whom you call ********* ) that are members of this site.
Careful what you wish for.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:31 AM
TECH Resident

Lol just do it, don't worry about the cops.. Lol ! I have LTs, ORY, (no cats), gmmg exhaust, no front plates, tinted windshield, and no one bothers me in Cali . Knock on wood
Old 07-03-2011, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

he can easily avoid getting caught by the cops by jumping on the clutch whenever he sees a cop car. Having a loud exhaust system can be a compromise, the awesome sound and performance vs the cop fear.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do not drive like an *** hole usually they will leave you along for sound - for my G8 i mess around during the day but not too much and at night when everyone goes i try to keep it under 2k because after that it tends to get loud.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSCAMARO02LS1
PaceSetter PN #70-1349 00-02 Camaro/Firebird, 5.7L LS1

Heres a video I found that you can check out

http://www.fquick.com/videos/Camaro_..._and_Idle/5114

Headers:
Pacesetter Long Tube Ceramic 1 3/4" Headers

Y/X/H-pipe:
Pacesetter Off Road Y-Pipe

Catback:
Texas Speed Rumbler 3" Catback
Ceramics dont rust do they? Im looking for exhaust systems that are rust-resistant just cause of the northern weather. Can the TSR catback work with a Pacesetter X pipe? sorry for the newbie questions i have yet to put a full exhaust system on a car myself and this seems like the perfect time to do it with a few good friends.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by versz; 12-02-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Can the TSR catback work with a Pacesetter X pipe?
No catback will bolt up to an X-pipe/true dual system. If you want to use an off-the-shelf catback, you'll need to stick with a Y-pipe. If you want a true dual system with an X-pipe, and want to use your stock CME tips (as you mentioned before), you'll need to do some custom fabrication (or have an exhaust shop do it) to mate up the true duals/X-pipe to the CME tips.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the cops around here like my car

Quick Reply: Cops Vs Noise