New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't spin tires (no asr)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I can spin the tires on my v6 with torque management..??!?? Somethings up for sure, I have to slip my clutch while launching or I get full out burnouts.... Stock minus lid/wires/plugs...
Old 07-09-2011, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if your car doesn't. Spin the tires anymore is there something wrong? My car takes 4sec to start somtimes and its completly ramdom!
Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DarkFox118

tbh I'm skeptical of all this alleged performance other people claim the stock F-body has. CAN it be fast? Absolutely. Is it stock? No.. not in my opinion. As such I'm not all that concerned about it until I'm ready to tackle the mechanical aspects of my car.
What size and what kind of tires do you have on it? If it's the 245s then you have some serious issues. By clutch drop, do you mean a 4-5k drop and WOT as soon as you release it? If so, you should be able to burn partway through 2nd at least with a stock LS1. No clutch drop my tires would usually hook at WOT in first, but from a dead stop trying to launch they would usually spin until 2nd when I was trying to get them to hook up.

I have a hard time believing some of the **** people on here post up though. A lot of people bitch that their 400whp cars don't hook up until 60 with Sumitomos, yet my 285 Sumitomos on a ~340-350whp car don't spin without a clutch drop, and even then they don't spin much.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:45 AM

Right now I'm running 245 and they use to burn with ease like I said it would burn into second and chird into third now it won't do it and it takes a while to start (4sec) everythird day or so?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Teching In

hmm. as for the not starting, i am pretty convinced there is a fuel relay that may be giving you problems.. sometimesyou just haveto try it for a sec stop then try it again, the second time should engage the fuel pump.. listen for the whine right before you start it up.. and for the not being able to spin em.. do you have any exhaust on the car? if the cats go bad that can kill aton of power.. and cause future problems if its not fixed. how does the car perform other then from a dig? is it boggy or ever miss? like a few others have said give it a leak down test and go from there.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 AM

Every time I start my car I listen to my fuel pump come (radio off)lol! It has never idled rough but it hauls *** just won't spin em?I raced a built hatch civic k20 swapp from 30 to 90 and dead even 2wice and the third time he pulled on me by a car length. So it preforms, just not from a dig anymore?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slo2pro
hmm. as for the not starting, i am pretty convinced there is a fuel relay that may be giving you problems.. sometimesyou just haveto try it for a sec stop then try it again, the second time should engage the fuel pump.. listen for the whine right before you start it up.. and for the not being able to spin em.. do you have any exhaust on the car? if the cats go bad that can kill aton of power.. and cause future problems if its not fixed. how does the car perform other then from a dig? is it boggy or ever miss? like a few others have said give it a leak down test and go from there.
I had a Sonoma that the cats went out on.....it never was a powerhouse but would spin hard on a wet road. The cats were gradual, then one day I couldn't hear the exhaust and it wouldn't run above 50mph floored. Luckily it was under warranty. When I picked it up from the dealership it felt like it gained 100hp. Just throwing out ideas...is the exhaust loud?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

It probably has et streets on the back or some sticky tire... When i was stock on DRs i couldnt mash the gas and spin i had to stall it alittle
Old 07-10-2011, 11:54 AM

Everything is stock even the my big oversized muffler in the back the car is loward about 1.5 inches I'm running street tires 245/45/17 it use to burn them wit ease, I was running 275/40/17 drag radials and they were pretty bald when I bought the car last year and I switch to the 245's the 275's were too $$$ they use to burn eariser cuz they were bald I suppose? Maybe I should switch to high flow cats from maganflow?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

DarkFox118 Quote : I'm skeptical of all this alleged performance other people claim the stock F-body has. CAN it be fast? Absolutely. Is it stock? No.. not in my opinion.

Same here dude ... my piece of **** would only run a 12.96 @ 109 MPH when it was bone stock with the tires that came on it from the factory... .. what a phuchin slug it was. That forced me to mod the hell out of it......after 11 years and 235,000 miles of being a daily driver making 452/418 at the wheels it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned and I have been hot rodding since the early 60s. If this engine would ever die I'd put a stroker in it.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait, what wheels will 245s fit right on that 275s will also fit on safely (and vice versa)?
Old 07-10-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

My adice and the thread ending post..

Get a driver mod, aka learn to drive and you will be able to spin.

On a side note, if you got beat by a civic, you really need help...
Old 07-10-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jahmalljames
Right now I'm running 245 and they use to burn with ease like I said it would burn into second and chird into third now it won't do it and it takes a while to start (4sec) everythird day or so?
If it runs fine after that I would bet that you have a small fuel leak somewhere. It probably won't be something you can find if it takes that long to lose pressure. Have you ever tried to cycle the key on and off a few times(without starting it) and see if it starts right up then, that would let you know for sure.

My Dakota had a bad pressure regulator that would leak pressure over night, then take a while to start the next morning if I didn't cycle the key. Of course the regulator on that is a $150 part and the fuel pump is $200 and comes with it, so I put a new fuel pump in even though the old one worked fine to fix it. No fuel filter on those either, just the one they put at the bottom of the pump.

Originally Posted by Element
Wait, what wheels will 245s fit right on that 275s will also fit on safely (and vice versa)?
The stock 9" rims would fit both safely(going off what the tire company says their 245 will fit), but the 245 is going to be stretched and look like ****.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:29 PM

I have the stock 17x9 my car came wit the 275's (stock) I work at discount tire been there for 8yrs its ok to put 245's on there, yes I got beat by a civic(sad) it was moded and mine is stock! Is it better to smash the gas to the floor on the highway in a race?that's what I did. I think imma try new cats!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same thing hear I have a 1999 camaro ss a4 as well when I bought the car brand new my car use to spin and bark out now it's not doing that any more my car use to spinn off the line even if I was not flooring it ever since I put the slp loud mouth on it it has not been spinning off the line my car onely has 6,000 miles I mean i feel top end but not to much off the line i put a new fuel filter new belt stii nothing
Old 07-10-2011, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

does anyone know if you can install the asr switch and it work perfectly???
Old 07-11-2011, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine has 235,000+ miles on it on the original short block...it will lay rubber from here (Atlanta) to Chicago...
Old 07-11-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex2210
does anyone know if you can install the asr switch and it work perfectly???
Why would you want it? Aside from the 10-bolt and skip-shift, it's the worst-designed **** on these cars (surpassing even window and headlight motors).
Old 07-11-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dunno where yall are getting these numbers, my motor must be FAR worse off than I think it is.

No POSSIBLE way my car would run 12.* not even13, probably not even 14.

A4s are probably slower than the m6 cars but.. I wouldn't imagine it's a very wide gap off the line.

My car so far, in 3k miles I've had my doors blown off in normal city driving (I don't "race" people really..) by a mid 2000s toyota avalon, a subaru forester 2.5xt (a new one) and a ~2000 ford F-150.

I understand that spinning tires is not "fast" but it's a good indicator of making power, and of putting power through the drivetrain and to the ground. My 2010 gmc sierra can light up the rear tires on a dry day from a stop in a turn and burn them for a few feet. In the rain it will burnout for 10 seconds. My 2000 camaro Z28 in dry weather can't light the tires in any fashion, in wet.. well it doesn't rain in GA in the summer. so I can't say.

My guess is that I have a compression problem tbh. I've just been planning to replace the entire engine since I got it. the car as 128k miles on it. I'm sure it's worn out.

Last edited by DarkFox118; 07-11-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Take it to a mechanic who knows LsX cars. Ask them to check fuel pressure, especially at WOT. My 99 had the fuel pump go out at 7000 miles - it was my fault really...extremely hot day, running less than an 1/8th of a tank, and going WOT. Car still ran, but had the power of a worn out Chevette.

Depending on your miles, you may need a lot of things to wake up your LS1. Yes your cats may be plugged, perfect time to do aftermarket exhaust. Your injectors may also be dirty, again losing a lot in the hp department. Add that to the regular maintenance items already mentioned and you should be well on your way to finding at least a 13 in that car.

So...get your fuel system checked out (pump and injectors). Replace any worn out exhaust (there are a million threads here with great exhaust info). Do the regular maintenance items for your car (Filters, clean MAF, clean TB, new plugs, etc). Go buy premium fuel from a decent gas vendor. - And smoke that Civic

Quick Reply: Can't spin tires (no asr)