Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't spin tires (no asr)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
Doesn't that compromise structural integrity in a car like this though? I mean that's right between the rear wheels. Seems like it'd pose a problem for tight corners and things. I mean there must be some reason GM didn't do this factory?

also.. craziness.. I went out with a data logger (efilive) today.. gunned it from a stop.. car lit em up.. it's NEVER done this until I put a data logger on it to find out why it won't.
A small fuel pump access hole won't cause any chassis rigidity issues. Now, if someone cuts a 1'x2' hole, then yeah, that might cause a little problem...

There are a lot of things GM should have done to these cars stock; beancounters and engineers always get in the way of designers actually making good real-world designs.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had a 99 and 01 SS and the lights always dim when you take it out of gear, just assumed this was normal. My cars will roast some rubber stock though, hate to hear avalons are pulling on ya.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

seriously? In THIS car? That corvette was a monster.. yea, it was an 07 so ls2.

Ya know I honestly hadn't thought about the fuel pump in mine. I figured.. it runs.. and it will go to wot, it just doesn't like to. It can be very hard to get mine to rev up. Mob do you find the same? I'd be curious to know if you find your problem, we could have the same issue heh.

some clues I have so far as to what could be going on, outside of just compression: when on the throttle on very hot days, like say you want to try to pass someone, the car will blip like you took your foot off the gas/it skipped.

When running it hard, providing it will run hard.. there's an eye-watering fuel smell.

I figured it could be electrical. I've got 6.0 truck coils waiting on me to go on, and already did new plugs n wires.

also, if I have less than 1/4 tank of gas, the car doesn't like to start on the first try. That one puzzles me, as it starts fine any other time. my solution is to keep it above 1/4 tank.
Did you already change fuel filter? You can also get a fuel pressure guage for pretty cheap and hook it on the rail to check pressure.

Also..could be clogged cat?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Element
A small fuel pump access hole won't cause any chassis rigidity issues. Now, if someone cuts a 1'x2' hole, then yeah, that might cause a little problem...

There are a lot of things GM should have done to these cars stock; beancounters and engineers always get in the way of designers actually making good real-world designs.
without knowing exactly where it is there's no way that I could cut a hole smaller than that.

A shop charges what, $400 or so? to change the fuel pump?

aint it the truth though.. trying to work on this engine is difficult. I've always worked on vortec trucks so this is my first Fbody and man.. whoever recessed this engine like a foot under the firewall needs.. well.. to not be designing things anymore. Yea i know it's good for weight distribution but seriously..

my cats are new, as well as my o2 sensors. The car's performance is VERY inconsistent. Other day a lady in a TOYOTA TERCEL cut me off.. I kid you not.. I got over and STOMPED IT.. car got beside her she started speeding up.. I almost had to back down cos another car was coming.. the next day when doing data logging to try to find out wtf is going on.. I stomp it from a 4 way stop and it lights the tires up for a full second without moving at all before I let off the gas.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

without knowing exactly where it is there's no way that I could cut a hole smaller than that.

A shop charges what, $400 or so? to change the fuel pump?

aint it the truth though.. trying to work on this engine is difficult. I've always worked on vortec trucks so this is my first Fbody and man.. whoever recessed this engine like a foot under the firewall needs.. well.. to not be designing things anymore. Yea i know it's good for weight distribution but seriously..

my cats are new, as well as my o2 sensors. The car's performance is VERY inconsistent. Other day a lady in a TOYOTA TERCEL cut me off.. I kid you not.. I got over and STOMPED IT.. car got beside her she started speeding up.. I almost had to back down cos another car was coming.. the next day when doing data logging to try to find out wtf is going on.. I stomp it from a 4 way stop and it lights the tires up for a full second without moving at all before I let off the gas.
If a lady in a Tercel cuts you off then you've got problems man. What year car and mileage does it have???
Old 07-27-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2000 z28 A4, 130k miles.

it's parked now. a/c went out. I'm just gonna keep saving for a new motor for a little while.

Quick Reply: Can't spin tires (no asr)