New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which cam should i go with

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boriqua then learn by READING ******* not trying to give advice on things you don't know **** about. Do I go on doctor forums posting about ways to cure cancer??
Old 08-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Teching In

lol lmao
Old 08-15-2011, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Even the stock engine will benefit from a higher stall speed than your current 2800. And why do you have a 700R4?

You should consider a stall upgrade before getting any cam. Go at least 3500 for a TR or TSP 224 type cam, and 4000+ for the BIG cams. Gears won't need to be changed if you pick the proper stall speed, but the 4000+ stalls might feel a bit loose on the street if you keep the stock gears.

I'm not a fan of the donkey dick cams for street cars. I really like the cams in the 222-228 duration range. A great street setup would be something like TSP224, S2 243 heads, LS6 intake with P&P stock TB, LTs with custom true duals, and a 3500 stall. With a full custom tune, this will have excellent street manners, good logevity (in terms of valvetrain parts/maintenance) great torque everywhere and a reasonable peak HP rpm for the street. You will be able to go WOT at any speed/rpm, and the car will feel like an animal compared to how it does now.

Now, if you are trying to build a race car, then I would suggest a very different setup.
this guy has provided very good info and my plans are about the same for my 04 GTO which is my DD

224/224 cam, SS3200 ( maybe 3600 ), LT's, catback, tune

228R is also a good DD cam and would work well with a 3200 stall, but any more cam you would want to get into a 3600 converter and though streetable it gets out of the DD status IMO

Originally Posted by KevinR
???

What do you mean? There are plenty of people that DD their cars with the Trex. Can you explain what you mean when you say it will "beat the **** outta your LS1"?
though people DD cars with BIG cams and converters it's not that practical for most people

I think peoples response to the Trex, MS4's etc driving great in their DD is like one guy liking red as his favorite color. This setup will not work well for most.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Larry @ AMS
this guy has provided very good info and my plans are about the same for my 04 GTO which is my DD

224/224 cam, SS3200 ( maybe 3600 ), LT's, catback, tune

228R is also a good DD cam and would work well with a 3200 stall, but any more cam you would want to get into a 3600 converter and though streetable it gets out of the DD status IMO

though people DD cars with BIG cams and converters it's not that practical for most people

I think peoples response to the Trex, MS4's etc driving great in their DD is like one guy liking red as his favorite color. This setup will not work well for most.
I'm with you on this, Larry. However, to say that it will "beat the **** out of an LS1" is a bit misleading. I know that there are a ton of people out there that don't like to drive "big cammed" cars, and that's one thing. But to give the impression that a certain cam will basically tear up your motor is another. I was trying to get some clarification on his statement.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:25 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by KevinR
I'm with you on this, Larry. However, to say that it will "beat the **** out of an LS1" is a bit misleading. I know that there are a ton of people out there that don't like to drive "big cammed" cars, and that's one thing. But to give the impression that a certain cam will basically tear up your motor is another. I was trying to get some clarification on his statement.
yes 100% agree with you on the comment