New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Highly-modded Camaro or barely-modded C5 Vette?
highly-modded Camaro
54.55%
barely-modded C5 Corvette
45.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

What would you do if you were me? - highly-modded Camaro or barely modded Vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would you do if you were me? - highly-modded Camaro or barely modded Vette

I have a dilemma. Right now I have a pretty nice 98 Z28 that has been modded visually quite a bit. I've test drove a C5 Corvette and they are hella nice. When it comes down to it though, it'd be pretty difficult to get a used C5 in my price range. I pay 320 something a month for my car and it's about impossible to do that on a used Vette even though the prices have come down. I'm really having a hard time deciding if I should try to trade in my car on a Vette or to keep modifying mine. Vette aftermarket stuff is expensive though so I wouldn't be able to do many mods on it. My biggest problem with mine is it's so damn uncomfortable. The C5 I drove had the sport seats and it was a whole 'nother world. I was thinking I could somehow mount up some C5 sport seats in my car. My credit is not so great right now either.

What would you do in my situation?
Old 03-07-2004, 02:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without a question, get the 'vette! It's in a totally different category. A lightly modded 'vette would get way more looks than a highly modded Camaro. I would definitely go with the 'vette.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:43 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by SSG--Z28
Without a question, get the 'vette! It's in a totally different category. A lightly modded 'vette would get way more looks than a highly modded Camaro. I would definitely go with the 'vette.
i agree, if you can do it without it costing you big then go for it. or wait a year for them to deppreciate more after the c6's come out.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Vettes are head and shoulders MUCH nicer.

I've owned a '00 Magnetic Red Metallic II convertible, black top, black interior, high polished wheels. That thing was awesome. It had the sport seats you mentioned above, as well as the dual zone climate control and the head up display. I got people at gas stations telling me that was the nicest car they've ever seen (maybe the candied apple red on black did it for them).

I've got a fairly modified '02 SS right now, and I'd get rid of it for a Vette at the drop of a hat. Camaros are nice, but C5's are just that much nicer.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

I would spend the money on your camaro. Grant it the Vette's are nice though. I would wait awhile longer, cuz the C5 prices will drop as soon as the new C6's hit the market.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Talking

If they still were producing the Camaro I would by the Vette, since they are not making Camaros for a while it is nice owning one and a modified one is even better.

Problem with this time frame is vettes will keep improving and you will be stuck with a lower performance Vette in a year or two.

A Camaro will not be improved on for a while and it it top of its chain for now.

Old 03-07-2004, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Could you really get rid of your first love for a Vette? I would pay off and keep the Camaro, then get a Vette. You probably only have a few years left to pay on your car anyway. As awsome as the Vettes are, you would probablly regret selling the Camaro due to the time and money you have spent getting her personalized. It also sounds like buying the Vette will financially put you where you won't be able to afford to personalize it. It's like trading a girlfriend / wife that you love in for a little younger, skinnier and prettier model that just fancies you eyes. Do you dump your love for a fling? I know I would love to have a Vette, but I spent 10 years wanting a Firehawk first. I have three friends with Vettes. They are awsome cars, but not my first love. I actually considered getting rid of mine for a Vette about a month ago. It wouldn't be true to myself to do so. So as I wait to pay off my car, I look forward to the day I can have my Vette too. You really can have your cake and eat it too with cars, you just have to be patient.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Thx for all the responses. A lot of good points!

The-Apostle - never thought about paying my Camaro off first. I'm going to have to look now and see how many years are left on the payments.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Chop-Foo Director

Pay off the camaro before you do anything! Going upside down on a car
(or whatever they call it) is nasty. Once you do it, you feel like it's ok,
but you're only screwing yourself. I did this on my last two cars, and
trust me, to this day I wish I hadn't.

When your car is paid off, then consider whether you want to wait a while
and build up some money, or go ahead and start new payments on a new
vehicle.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Launching!

i'd have to stick with the camaro.....
Old 03-07-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love Vettes, but I am keeping my Z28 for as long as I can. I plan on giving it to my future son one day. One day I will own both.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

If there is no reason than too jjust get a better car, Id stick with the Camaro. You allready have a badass car and with the money you would put to the vette going into it you could do wonders.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Pay off the Z, and then buy a 'vette. You get the best of both worlds. That's what I am doing.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how sick would you be after you just purchase your new vette and a camaro pulls up next to you at a light and says how nice your car is......... and then smokes your ***....... cause he spent money on mods instead of a new car, think about what you want and how much $$ you have to spend, if its looks and complements get the vette, if its speed and power, mod the camaro! (you can solve the comfortable seat problem easily)
Old 03-07-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Frankly, I would not consider your car "highly modded". Most of its appearence. I would stick with your car, its sweet looking and if you put some performace stuff into it, it will be very fun to drive.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the camaro.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Frankly, I would not consider your car "highly modded". Most of its appearence. I would stick with your car, its sweet looking and if you put some performace stuff into it, it will be very fun to drive.
Thx.

I consider it "highly modded" in terms of appearance. I probably shoulda put that. I think I'm going to keep it now, at least until it's paid off, very possibly may just keep it period. Looks like I only owe for 3 more years. That's not bad. I don't know if I'll be doing any engine mods (it's fast enough for me) but I want to do some suspension stuff.

Thx everybody for your input. I feel so relieved with this option. It was going to take me a year to fix my credit enough and get the bills ahead to where I could get a Vette anyway so that's only 2 more years and it'll be easier to get one just like I like it if I don't have to worry about a trade-in and I'll have time to save up a good down payment.

Last edited by SuperDave479; 03-08-2004 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mhulslan
Pay off the Z, and then buy a 'vette. You get the best of both worlds. That's what I am doing.
I agree.............
we bought the vette first, a 99 white C5 coupe. Only 2 more payments
Now if we could only payoff the 3 Camaro's we could get an SSR
Old 03-08-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Teri9672
I agree.............
we bought the vette first, a 99 white C5 coupe. Only 2 more payments
Now if we could only payoff the 3 Camaro's we could get an SSR
lol, I don't feel sorry for you in the least, sorry.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:35 AM
TECH Addict

I'd go with the Vette, because I know the Camaro has been driven real hard! If it is fully modded...