Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
I agree, and I don't understand why this is even being debated really. It's a well-known fact that these LS1's require 91-93 octane, bottom line. Not sure why people feel like they need to be different and put in 87 or 89 instead. If you can't pay the extra $.30 or so for premium gas, sell the car and buy something that runs on regular, it's that simple.

No thanks. I can afford to pay more but I'll keep using 87 in my ls1 because I don't really care.

I'll tell you what. When I start having issues because of 87 i'll let you guys know. .... .... ..... ...... ......

Last edited by PACKERSz28Camaro; 09-30-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
I had my V6 Camaro for seven years and ONLY put 87, I now have a SS and ONLY put 93 and I seriously do NOT feel any differenece in performance

Holy **** man, if you don't feel any difference in performance between an L36 V6 Camaro and an LS1 Camaro, regardless of octane, then you should see a doctor. Check your pulse immediately, also check for fever/blisters/bleeding and get a full blood work-up.

Can you get to a hospital? I don't know what you are suffering from, but whatever it is, it's damn serious!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excerpt from 1998 Camaro owner's manual:

If you have the 5.7L engine (VIN Code G), use premium unleaded gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher for best performance. You may use middle grade or regular unleaded gasolines, but your vehicle may not accelerate as well.

Please take note, this year Camaro does not REQUIRE the use of 91 octane. It ALLOWS use of of 87 octane. Whether you can live with less acceleration is entirely a personal choice whether or not you would make it.

Now, can we get to some other business?

Old 09-29-2011, 02:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,235 Posts

As far as the financial debate in this thread, I say let people do whatever they want with their own car. I don't always use my cars the way that others' would want to, and frankly I don't care if it upsets someone or not. I have a garage queen LS1 that I almost never drive...some people seem to get offended by this and tell me that I should drive it more. I say, until someone else starts buying me cars, I'll use them however I see fit.

Having said that, there is some math to be done here. If the goal is to save a few bucks by using 87, then you'd really have to do some testing to see if you're actually saving. Since many people have seen better MPG with 91+, the only way to know if you're getting ahead here would be to compare MPG of 87 vs 91+ under the same weather/driving conditions and see if there is a MPG penalty for your application. If there is, you'd have to see which way saves you more....cheaper gas up front, or slightly more MPG with slightly more expensive gas.

As for the hurt engine/power debate, there is no harm in running 87 if you're not driving the car hard. These cars have a low octane spark table, you won't hurt a stock engine simply cruising with 87.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PACKERSz28Camaro
No thanks. I can afford to pay more but I'll keep using 87 in my ls1 because I don't really care. Simply not worth the extra $200 a year IMO

I'll tell you what. When I start having issues because of 87 i'll let you guys know. .... .... ..... ...... ......
So, why did you spend the extra money on an LS1 car if you don't care? Could have saved your money and bought a 3.8 instead, those are actually designed to run on 87.

Not saying 87 is going to demolish your LS1 because it won't, but it just doesn't make sense to me why people choose to run it. I know it's cheaper to buy initially, but you lose gas mileage AND power, which to me would be the killer of the whole thing.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
So, why did you spend the extra money on an LS1 car if you don't care? Could have saved your money and bought a 3.8 instead, those are actually designed to run on 87.

Not saying 87 is going to demolish your LS1 because it won't, but it just doesn't make sense to me why people choose to run it. I know it's cheaper to buy initially, but you lose gas mileage AND power, which to me would be the killer of the whole thing.
My other car says to use premium but I don't use it in that one either. Guess, I should get rid of that car too and buy something else. I just don't give a crap about premium gas. Never bought into it, never will. Have I used it before? Sure, but I never noticed any difference honestly..

Last edited by PACKERSz28Camaro; 09-30-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
Please, Sweet Jebus, expand your view and understand that everyone that can buy an LS1 does not desire to squeeze out every last bit of horsepower for whatever reason.

Every parking lot doesn't need your black marks, every intersection doesn't need to be left in smoke, every stoplight turning green does not start a race, every straight road over 100 yards does not require a high speed run, every set of tires does not need to be left around the county two black marks at a time, every point on your license does not need to live in fear, every cop every where does not need to be on the lookout for you, every Mustang does not need to beat mercilessly, every highway onramp does not need to be taken at 4500rpm in second/third gear (well, maybe that one...), etc.
I agree with you 100%. My T/A is driven in a civilized manner 85% of the time, that other 15% is why I bought a LS1 and not a 3.8. But in this economy I'll take all of the free beer, pizza, donuts, and hp i can get my hands on. And on a good week, I might even come out a $1 ahead because my car picked up 3mpg instead of only 2mpg, which is pretty much the break even point for 91 octane gas. If my car didn't gain 2-3mpg from running 91 octane at least 9 out of 10 times I'd fill the tank with whatever gas is the cheapest and keep the extra $3-4 in my pocket.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

Holy **** man, if you don't feel any difference in performance between an L36 V6 Camaro and an LS1 Camaro, regardless of octane, then you should see a doctor. Check your pulse immediately, also check for fever/blisters/bleeding and get a full blood work-up.

Can you get to a hospital? I don't know what you are suffering from, but whatever it is, it's damn serious!
haha, allright dude I lied, so shoot me

The example that I was actually trying to give is that filling up my V6 with 87 compared to filling up my V8 with 93 is seriously the same loss in gas, they both lose the same amount of gas at the same time, no difference in that but 93 does help perform better. I experimented with the V6 by putting 93 on it once before going to the races and I noticed a difference in performance instantly. Ever since I bought the SS, everybody kept saying, "Man that's more gas for you," "damn thats gonna swallow more then your V6" and blah blah blah; I have NOT notice my V8 guzzling more then my V6.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

93 from shell, i get a 2mpg boost when i use shell gas, im my a4 i average 25 with 3.23gears, full weight. on the highway i get almost 30mpg, now back when i ran 105. hehehe
Old 09-29-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

really the main point is you could spend less on cheaper gas and get a little less mileage and hp, or spend a little more and fill it up with what the factory recommends and probably break even with the little bit better gas mileage. either way do whatever you want, i know what i want to fill up with.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PACKERSz28Camaro
My other car says to use premium but I don't use it in that one either. Guess, I should get rid of that car too and buy something else. I just don't give a crap about premium gas. Never bought into it, never will. Have I used it before? Sure, but I never noticed any difference honestly..I'll take 2 less horsepower and 5 less mpg and save $200 a year with my camaro and almost $500 a year with both my cars combined.
Ok, so how are you saving $200 a year when you are buying more gas than you would be with 91? That's what I don't understand, why people don't get that in most cases it's actually CHEAPER to buy 91+ gas in cars made for it.

My truck takes a 4-5mpg hit when I tried running 87 in it, so say 1000 miles at 20mpg is 50 gallons of 92 at $4 a gallon is $200, vs going 1000 miles getting 15mpg using 66 gallons of 87 at $3.70 a gallon is $244. The only way you are saving any money is if it was $1 a gallon cheaper to get the 87, and even then it's only $2 saved for 1000 miles. So again, why are you people wasting your money on that **** gas?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
That all depends...

If you're the kind of driver that "needs" the small percentage of hp that 91 will give, then pay up and enjoy yourself. Revel in it while you can afford it. Smoke 'em while you got 'em. Buy 91 and mash that gas pedal.

Later on, when you have multiple cars, multiple kids, multiple bank loans, multiple ex-wives payments, car repairs, house repairs, 7 vehicles worth of insurance, retirement savings to make, food for the household, movies, cable, a phone for everyone over 10, tools, parts, and the occasional brewski...you'll appreciate every spare dime you can save. Each step along the way you'll give up something for something else. Constant mashing the gas and wearing away of those expensive tires is one of those things for most. Occasionally, smoking tires, two long an arcing black marks, the scream of the engine, and the thrill of it all will help retain your sanity.

Not everybody lives the same life. It's all good.
Sounds more like you need to stop wasting gas and tires, sell the toy and pay your bills...
Old 09-29-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

LOL. I'd love to see your theory tested how it's actually cheaper to buy 91. EDIT: Are you actually saying 91 is cheaper in our cars?

But let's get this straight.. I would have never bought my car and cammed it if gas mileage was a main concern. The additional mpg's and performance gains are so minor I don't give fluck. If it starts to hurt my engine, you're damn right I'll switch but until that day...no sir.

Last edited by PACKERSz28Camaro; 09-30-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

I've done it in my truck? Back to back on the same 200 mile trip it got 21 with 92 vs 16 with 87. I wouldn't run 87 in my car, but I'm sure there's at least a 3mpg difference if you test on the same trip in the same conditions. I don't get how it's so hard to understand when it's laid out in front of you like that.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

93 for me
Old 09-29-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gocartone
I've done it in my truck? Back to back on the same 200 mile trip it got 21 with 92 vs 16 with 87. I wouldn't run 87 in my car, but I'm sure there's at least a 3mpg difference if you test on the same trip in the same conditions. I don't get how it's so hard to understand when it's laid out in front of you like that.
So you tested this on your truck that is a 5.7L LS1? BTW "I'm sure" isn't proof, that's your opinion.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club

93 (mobile or shell) in the factory tank and race gas in the other.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TransAmatt99
Hey I agree why would you buy an ls1 car to go slow. If you didnt want to get max hp then get a v6 that is a z28 clone? Then you can run the 87 all day long. 93 with the 10% ethanol mix is good enough gas, and the small percentage of ethanol doesnt make any difference or screw up your fuel filter like some genius that hasnt done any homework said before.

I run my car on 100LL airplane gas because I need the knock suppression. If I could get e-85 where I live I would ABSOLUTELY run it because its knock supression is superb to even 93 and its cheaper. If the book says 91 or higher recommended then do it, otherwise the computer is always trying to pull timing and that it will do...
Well at least you got the "genius" part right.

Running a corn-based alcohol through your fuel lines will lead to one thing, the presence of water in the fuel. Water will not "screw up" a fuel filter, nor will the fuel filter remove it from the fuel. What the water will do, is speed up a little-known dynamic known as "corrosion". You may have heard of it.

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but as a precaution, I change my fuel filter often, in case its being clogged with particulate matter from the fuel lines due to corrosion. If it isn't great. Fuel filter is a cheap and easy swap.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:18 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Alright so it's like this. We buy cars like these because we want maximum performance, maximum style, maximum whatever; muscle cars, performance cars, are about taking things to the upper level, or else we'd be driving a Focus or something. We buy the best suspension pieces, engine pieces, wheels, tires, brakes, electronics, etc. etc. etc. Are there cheaper shocks, suspension pieces, engine pieces, etc? Sure, but most of us go for the good stuff. Therefore to skimp out on area of the car, like the gas, just doesn't make sense-it doesn't add up.

Obviously people are free to do whatever they want with their car. If someone's content to just cruise around in their performance car in regular gas that's just fine, because doing so won't KILL it; however to some of us it just doesn't make any sense because the whole point of getting into these types of cars, 'modding them and setting them up for whatever is to have that higher level of performance on tap.

To sum things up: yes, the car won't explode if you use lower octane gas, and yes people are free to do what they want with their car: rule the streets or just cruise. But personally, if I was just going to poke around and cruise and not really be into the higher side of performance, I'd just buy a '64 Impala, get some 13" wheels, metallic flake paint with a naked girl on the trunk, some hydro's, fill it up with 87 and then call it a day. I certainly wouldn't buy into a car that was built with a heritage of high speed performance. Again, that's just me, to each their own...

Last edited by myk; 09-29-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

nothing personal, after reading some of responses. I'm glad I don't have to deal with some of you guys on day to day basis. LOL...That is all.

Quick Reply: Which Gas?