New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam upgrade (with very specific goals in mind)...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam upgrade (with very specific goals in mind)...

So I own a 2002 Camaro SS with the SLP 345HP package (CME and lid) with the total extent of mods being an electric cutout and skip-shift bypass installed by the previous owner. The long of the short of it is I'm not looking to make intense amounts of power over factory stock level, but I want a choppy idle and I'm not looking to give myself serious potential for trouble with emissions either (read: not looking to do serious exhaust mods).

In my searches and reading I've consistently seen people say that cams are not a good idea before other flow-improving mods, most obviously because you can't maximize the cam gains without them, but here's the thing: I'm not looking to become the fastest LS-powered car on the street, nor do I want to fudge with emissions control if I can at all help it.

I think by itself a cam upgrade can get me where I want to be; a high limit on the power I'd really want would be 350WHP, and from what I've read the factory clutch can't handle much more than factory power so that is another major motivator for not really wanting a huge increase in power, even ignoring the fact that I don't believe a cam by itself with no supporting mods couldn't reach 350WHP in this car...

I have my eye on a GMPP LS1 Hot Cam kit to get installed and then properly tuned for drivability's sake, but I'm a little discouraged at how much the prices have apparently gone up on them over the past few years (my searches now have turned up the lowest price near $500 even).

Given my power limit plus the fact that I want that choppy idle (I want to experience that in at least one car I own in my lifetime), is this a decent/feasible option? Would there be a better cam setup that someone could recommend with those parameters in mind in lieu of the fact that the GMPP Hot Cam kit isn't as budget-minded as it apparently used to be?

I appreciate any and all thoughts on the situation, and especially your patience dealing with a novice here.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

i think a eps 222/230 112 will be perfect for what your looking for

Last edited by disc0monkey; 10-26-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

With the mod's in my signature below before I had the header's installed and cat's removed I passed smog and made about 370hp on a dynapack(very reputable and accurate ) dyno.Would of probably made more on a mustang dyno but numbers only mean so much anyway's.!Fun setup and kinda quiet,not the fastest ls1 car on the street but it definitely held it's own!Hope this help's you with some kind of starting point for mod's.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Well, I really am trying to stay away from exhaust work, partly because of emissions (either smog or visual inspection), and partly because it's almost hard NOT to blow right by 350whp with headers AND a cam, and I definitely want a cam more than anything else for a mod (really want the choppy idle).

Let me ask you this though, as I didn't see it listed in your sig: Do you have the stock clutch? If so, how's it holding up?

I guess too let me add another parameter to my list: I want to avoid exceeding $1500 total when all is said and done. I believe I can skate just under that number in most cases, but I'd hope to do better than just that, and given I'm not doing my own labor, I know cam+install, headers+install, then tune will probably run me nearly (if not more than) $3k.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Also, in regards to the EPS cam, it seems to be very impressive, but it is quite a pricey setup. :/ I'm still working on a slightly smaller budget than what I think that would put me at.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:54 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most cam swaps run between $1000 to $2000 dollars depending on how much labor you put in. Most need a dyno tune and most I have seen are in the $400-500 range alone.

So do not pick one that will under deliver to your expectations.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 10-26-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:49 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Might as well just install the hot cam. If all you are after is the sound, it has a reputation for delivering that.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

From everything I've read, the only negative of the hot cam is that it is dated and therefore in its dated design it does not provide the most efficient or maximized gains compared to more modern cams. Is this a fair assessment? Or would there be other drawbacks that I haven't found yet?

Also, especially for anyone with experience with this cam, is it true that the only necessary replacement parts for the cam are the LS6 valve springs included in the kit?

My car currently has roughly 48K miles, and I don't see being much over 50K if at all by the time I install the cam (if I am able to do it when I'm planning on doing it).
Old 10-26-2011, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

unless your endurance racing or just never want to change valvesprings the hotcam has all the negatives and small positive for aftermarket cams. There are so many better options I wouldn't let someone put it in my car for free
Old 10-26-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Eps cam save up for it 350rwhp wont be impressive for long. I made 351 with bolt ons
Old 10-26-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having both a choppy idle, and passing smog could prove to be a somewhat tricky balancing act. Overlap is what gives you a choppy idle, but is also what makes it hard to pass smog. I'd also stop worrying about making to much power for a stock clutch, it's going to go out sooner or later. Even on a completely stock car it's not going to last forever, just save up the cash so when it starts to slip you can throw in either a LS7 or monster stage 1. Just to throw out some numbers I'd get a custom cam 222/234 112+2, I don't have a clue if it will pass smog, but the 12*I/E split should help crutch your stock manifolds, and 4* of overlap should give you a somewhat choppy idle.

One last thought a really good tune will help you pass smog, but it will also smooth out your choppy idle.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

220/220 110 lsa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7EBu4pCvZs
Old 10-26-2011, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Thank you all for your advice.

While I really and truly am not looking for a serious bump in power, I can still appreciate it that the hot cam is genuinely not worth it if other options are competitively priced.

It looks like I still have a lot more reading to do on the subject and an in-depth meeting with one of the local speed shops if I want to move forward with this. Who'da thunk there wouldn't be an easy one-size-fits-all answer?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
220/220 110 lsa
Not with stock exhaust manifolds, he needs a split pattern cam to crutch there lousy flow.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:24 AM

I'm having the GM hot cam package put in my 2000 in a couple weeks I'll let you know how it sounds and works. Can't wait.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:27 AM

I'm also having a heavy duty timing chain & oil pump put in at the same time cheap add on's
Old 10-29-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamm54
I'm having the GM hot cam package put in my 2000 in a couple weeks I'll let you know how it sounds and works. Can't wait.
You might want to research that cam more before you put it in. It's a very dated cam design with lazy lobes with only .525" of lift. Even the 2002+ LS6 cam has .551" of lift and it's only got 204* of duration, and Comps tamest cam profile would give you .563" lift with 218* of duration.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

all i can say is get something worthwhile and be done.

i had an ls6 cam installed and i shouldve just saved for something better.

while my car didnt run horrible and i didnt have alot of money i wanted more power while not having to spend alot. it wasnt worth it.

a good tuner can have these motors extremely streetable with very aggressive cams.

i just wouldnt be too conservative because youll be wanting more later. trust us.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

I visited a very respected local LS-performance shop yesterday and we talked for a good while about my goals and desires for the car. He was gonna work me up an estimate on doing a cam swap and doing it right, but even without the numbers he gave me a lot of good stuff to think about.

Long of the short of it, I still have a LOT of thinking to do....
Old 10-29-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

talking to a local LS expert was a good move.