New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its cam time

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yea but my opinion if your doing a cam might as well go a little bigger than that. sounds like hes the type that would put that in and want more. might as well do it as few times as possible
Old 11-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

ok so i think i like those 210s afr heads... question is now if i go with those heads on the afr sight should i bee] looking in the SBC or the LSX sectioin becasue the numbers are different and there for different size headers, the lsx are for 1 7/8 and the sbc is for 1 3/4 or does that dependon what headers you have? Now if i get those heads from that sight do they offer a cam package for those heads like TSP or should i just go back to tsp and make a cam package minus heads like i already have them doin with heads?

also origianlly stating i would like to get my car to 500hp if that 228/228 or the 228R cam isnt gonna give me but 400 then i dont wanna buy twice, do i need a bigger cam? thats why i kinda like the streetsweeper it was a lil bigger but not much bigger but is it enough to get me to my 500hp with the rest of my bolt ons?

Originally Posted by usnfenix
exactly. for my heads/cam swap im going afr. only thing now is to choose between 205 and 210. they offer a race ready package for the assembled 210 heads for 1600 bucks. main thing here is spend the extra on the heads. you wont regret it, like lemons said you can have a great cam and shitty heads and have a shitty car. but a baby cam with a great set of heads, great car and the heads will really wake that cam up no matter what it is. ( just dont expect 400rwhp out of a 220/220 with a set of afr heads lol, need a bigger cam than that)
Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Waste of time doing all this first IMO, don't go the route I did and try to make good power without making your car reliable first. Build from the ground up....Do these things first and you will be much happier 2 years down the road. Rearend, Built trans, fuel system upgrade, subframe connectors, ARP rod bolts (since your car is a 99), then start thinking about the power side of things.....Heads/cam/bolt ons/wheels&tires/good tune/full suspension. If you plan to keep the car follow my advice, if you're just looking to get a fun year or so out of it then make a H/C/I nitrous setup and rape people from rolls.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6_NC88
ok so i think i like those 210s afr heads... question is now if i go with those heads on the afr sight should i bee] looking in the SBC or the LSX sectioin becasue the numbers are different and there for different size headers, the lsx are for 1 7/8 and the sbc is for 1 3/4 or does that dependon what headers you have? Now if i get those heads from that sight do they offer a cam package for those heads like TSP or should i just go back to tsp and make a cam package minus heads like i already have them doin with heads?

also origianlly stating i would like to get my car to 500hp if that 228/228 or the 228R cam isnt gonna give me but 400 then i dont wanna buy twice, do i need a bigger cam? thats why i kinda like the streetsweeper it was a lil bigger but not much bigger but is it enough to get me to my 500hp with the rest of my bolt ons?
ok forgot your hp goals. afr heads are the best but there is no way you will have 500rwhp with just afr heads and the 228 cam. i dont even think its possible with afr heads and a streetsweeper cam. in reality a 500rwhp heads cam car is not practical. and for a daily driver the cam would be so large driveability would be **** and you can kiss gas mpg goodbye. a little thing to learn is hp numbers and dyno numbers arnt everything, its how a car uses its power. gears and a stall arnt hp adding mods, but rather allow the engine to use its power better. a 5th gen ss has 400 something hp but stock for stock a 4th gen will roll on a 5th gen all day. you say you want 500rwhp well try the setup were all talking about here, i think you will like it regardless of the number it makes. and reliability is another thing to think about. if you want 500rwhp buy a procharger or a kytp turbo build. you will have 550rwhp or more but you will blow your motor or trans or rear end very soon. the afr heads and 228 cam or streetsweeper will grant you somewhere between 420 to 450 rwhp. add a 3600 stall and you will not only have more power with a rebuilt reliable valvetrain, but the stall will grant your car an added advantage over its power. heads cam and stall. do them and i believe you will be more than happy with the results. and if you dont like it, then get forged pistons and a rear end and put a 100 shot on it. dont forget while doing the heads cam to have a good set of headers and an intake setup. bolts ons are very important and needed for the motor to breathe.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BStowers023
Waste of time doing all this first IMO, don't go the route I did and try to make good power without making your car reliable first. Build from the ground up....Do these things first and you will be much happier 2 years down the road. Rearend, Built trans, fuel system upgrade, subframe connectors, ARP rod bolts (since your car is a 99), then start thinking about the power side of things.....Heads/cam/bolt ons/wheels&tires/good tune/full suspension. If you plan to keep the car follow my advice, if you're just looking to get a fun year or so out of it then make a H/C/I nitrous setup and rape people from rolls.
Originally Posted by usnfenix
ok forgot your hp goals. afr heads are the best but there is no way you will have 500rwhp with just afr heads and the 228 cam. i dont even think its possible with afr heads and a streetsweeper cam. in reality a 500rwhp heads cam car is not practical. and for a daily driver the cam would be so large driveability would be **** and you can kiss gas mpg goodbye. a little thing to learn is hp numbers and dyno numbers arnt everything, its how a car uses its power. gears and a stall arnt hp adding mods, but rather allow the engine to use its power better. a 5th gen ss has 400 something hp but stock for stock a 4th gen will roll on a 5th gen all day. you say you want 500rwhp well try the setup were all talking about here, i think you will like it regardless of the number it makes. and reliability is another thing to think about. if you want 500rwhp buy a procharger or a kytp turbo build. you will have 550rwhp or more but you will blow your motor or trans or rear end very soon. the afr heads and 228 cam or streetsweeper will grant you somewhere between 420 to 450 rwhp. add a 3600 stall and you will not only have more power with a rebuilt reliable valvetrain, but the stall will grant your car an added advantage over its power. heads cam and stall. do them and i believe you will be more than happy with the results. and if you dont like it, then get forged pistons and a rear end and put a 100 shot on it. dont forget while doing the heads cam to have a good set of headers and an intake setup. bolts ons are very important and needed for the motor to breathe.
listen to these guys.

i would spend the money on a nine inch rear end with 3.73 or 4.10s if you dont already have one. that will be my first major part purchase

but in the end its your car.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on your budget we have many different directions we can go with your build. Feel free to give us a call. We are more than happy to help!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aaron@Texas-Speed
Depending on your budget we have many different directions we can go with your build. Feel free to give us a call. We are more than happy to help!
talk to them, ive emailed them many times with my questions and now i have a package from them i intend to buy. they will help you
Old 11-13-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if i were you id go with a 113-114. if you plan on going turbo or supercharged...a 115 would be nice...that is lope separation. its what makes the car go thump thump thump when its idling. however...you can get that sound out of a 114 too like i do without sacrificing driveability and it will give you room to grow. I have spent countless hours researching cams...and there are three i will recommend that i know are great for Daily Drivers and will produce massive numbers on the dyno. Texas Speed's 228r XER lobed cam......Brutespeeds Blower Cam.......and Futral F14. those are the absolute best shelf cams......but you can always goes custom....go too big and youll regret it. these are all cams that pull all the way thru the powerband rather than just up top. i gained 43rwhp from the 228r personally after tuning. and ive been racing ms4 ms3 and hpe and lg and lingenfelters and custom grinds...and hands down this cam just ****** rules and not just because its the one i have...but because i did the research and listened to the people whod installed it or seen it run. you will not get 500rwhp from a heads and cam setup. i am currently installing a procharger d1sc with a front mount intercooler and im hoping for 570-600rwhp. and thats with this cam and bolt ons and everything basically including methanol. if you want more horsepower you will have to do more mods. eventually the more mods you wanna do...the more mods youll be forced to do. remember....forced induction has a much higher price than youd anticipiate. youve got to have gauges, gauge pillar, the supercharger system itself....the rear end to support the power, the fuel system, the tuning, the labor costs if you cant do it yourself, the methanol, and eventually the forging of the motor for more boost, and the list goes on. grab yourself a n20 bottle with 100 shot wet and a fuel pump and youll have your 500rwhp or close. may wanna jet it to 125. but the 228r is great. i ran a 7.33 with it in the 1/8 on a stock 10 bolt and nitto drags @ 23 psi.

Last edited by I8UR4RD; 11-13-2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-13-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LoBe separation is not not all that determines the thump thump thump. The overlap has a huge impact on this as well a couple other variables.

A blower cam would not be "best"... As its a blower cam.

Also, there is no "best" shelf grinds. What would work for a max effort car, daily driver, afr/fast combo, or an ls6 stg 1 combo would all greatly different from what would be considered the BETTER cam. There is never a best cam.

Quick Reply: Its cam time