Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ram Air Fact Or Fiction: Part II

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 05:41 PM
STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
We can talk about this until we are blue in the face. The bottom line is that we have done scientific studies thousands of times and the results show that Ram Air does nothing. I personally have done around 75 tests myself...one every time I beat a stock WS6 or SS at the track.
Hey, wait a minute.....
Old 03-13-2004, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02PHOENIX
Hey, wait a minute.....
I meant when my '00 Z28 was stock too.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:10 AM
Restricted User

We can talk about this until we are blue in the face. The bottom line is that we have done scientific studies thousands of times and the results show that Ram Air does nothing. I personally have done around 75 tests myself...one every time I beat a stock WS6 or SS at the track.
If by saying that you mean "Ram Air does nothing that we care about", then I agree with you 100%. The truth is that Ram Air does do something. I could have told you when I first heard of the WS6 Ram Air option that it was just a gimmick, regardless of where the extra HP comes from, it's not going to make a lick of difference where it counts. If anything, the only advantage a WS6 would have over a T/A would be at the gas pump, and even there it would be barely noticeable. I just wanted to make clear that the system DOES work, just not the way we all wish it would.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:25 AM
11 Second Club

In my opinion the ram-air gives more power to the car it is on. Some Z-28's can beat WS-6's and some WS-6's can beat z-28's formulas etc. It's just those who buy an FTRA or SSRA.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

i just did the SSRA...how can this mod not scoop up more air that is cooler than in stock form? it sure does work. in stock form, how can the path that the air is being sucked through..not be more restrictive?
Old 03-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skunk50
i just did the SSRA...how can this mod not scoop up more air that is cooler than in stock form? it sure does work. in stock form, how can the path that the air is being sucked through..not be more restrictive?
We are talking about the stock Ram Air setup.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry he's all wet and doesn't seem to understand how an engine works in reality and out of a classroom. listen all you want... i'll enjoy beating anyone who listens in a heads up race.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 03-14-2004, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bklnstngr, you're making this way too complicated and confusing people. By talking about it in terms of total pressure it becomes much simpler. Total pressure is just static pressure plus dynamic pressure. The point of ram air is to draw air from in front of the car where the total pressure is higher, rather than from under the hood where the total pressure is equal to the static pressure. You could easily see if your ram air is working by comparing your MAP readings from autotap to the ambient air pressure.

Also, the shape of the scoop depends on the speed you are going. If your speed is slower than the speed of the air in the intake tract, the optimum scoop shape is converging. If your speed is faster than the air in the intake tract, the optimum scoop shape is a diverging (a diffuser). For example, airliners use a diffuser because they are flying at mach .8 or .9, but the engine needs air at mach .5. When testing an engine on a stand, you use a bellmouth (converging) because the air has to speed up from 0 velocity.

You're right that the air is incompressible below mach 0.3, but it is the pressure change, not density change, that ram air takes advantage of. At low mach numbers the pressure changes much faster than density because temperature is changing too. Driving 100 miles per hour you could get about a 1% increase in pressure from ram air. It's not much but every little bit helps, and the effect becomes greater as you go faster.

Cliff notes:
-Your first conclusion is wrong because you don't have to compress the air for ram air to work
-Your second conclusion is wrong because the scoop shape depends on speed

Last edited by P Mack; 03-14-2004 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

It's just a name, who cares
Old 03-14-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

people who like to understand how things work.
as for the ram air thing, after removing the baffles from my hood i did not see any track gains(mph)but i did see a noticable increase in high speed hwy mpg.
and unit, i know you were semi joking and its been beat to death before but there are other things to consider in the Z28 vs SS thing other than just "ram air". I.E. weight, driver, etc. I still wouldnt reccomend buying an SS/WS6 for anything other than looks but its something to take into consideration.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow this divergent design crap reminds me of tech school and how a jet engine works. Its all looks anyway. When my Z was stock beat a few SS's around town. Its all the driver I think but hey im putting on my free hood so i'll let you know if I see a difference
Old 03-15-2004, 04:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybee it works maybee it dont..forget all the science behind it. I got lots of respect for the people disputing this bc they are all obviously WAY smarter than me!!!! Just know i bought a TA instead of a 'camaro because when i saw the first commercials back in the day where the damn ram air TA literally "ate" another car at the light..i had instant wood. to me work or not the cool factor is worth the cash. Dont get me wrong i love all fbody's, i just have a huge sweet spot for the ram airs.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE]Just know i bought a TA instead of a 'camaro because when i saw the first commercials back in the day where the damn ram air TA literally "ate" another car at the light..i had instant wood. to me work or not the cool factor is worth the cash.

Amen to that brother. Honestly, I don't understand the entire debate, rather I know what I like. Even if I get a T/A, I'm gonna get the WS6 hood. lol
Old 03-15-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

What I was told was that Ram Air doesn't start showing noticeable power until you hit 100+ mph. Plus Factory ram air and even SSRA do not come properly sealed. That's why a lot of WS-6 owners end up buying that BG ram air kit to seal that 1" gap and SSRA owners use some form of weather stripping. So if that is true then I can see why stock or mild bolt-on WS-6's have no advantage in the 1/4 mile over say a Z28. But what I wonder is if you take a WS-6 with the BG ram air kit properly sealing the hood and run with a equal weight-RWHP-geared TA without ram air from a 100-150 race would the ram air give any noticeable advantage at the higher speeds?

Personally I have no friggin clue if it works or not but the hoods look sweet on both SS and WS-6 so if nothing else they are great appearance mods
Old 03-15-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

auto companys tagged it wrong. how would it look to them if they said ' well our stock intake and body designe are horrably restrivtive so we decided to make a direct path cold air intake' so insted they said 'ram air'
yes some companys reported 'boost' in the air box but what they should have said was 'lack of vacume'
all 'ram air' does is direct cold air threw a less restrictive path directly into the throtal body. the effect is the same as creating boost at xmph. when the engine normaly starves for air there is plenty provided. in that respect it does work it 'relieces' high end power where the engine would normaly suffercate into submition... so the argument is all in a name witch was poorly choosen. but that does not make the performance gains invallad.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It works! Just look at the SR-71 Blackbird Jet, even know Jet fuel burns much hotter, the added air intake still alows everything to flow and breath much better..Who cares about added compression from speed and static readings..
Old 03-15-2004, 12:22 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by cudaeh
suffercate
That's how I say it! LMAO, cuda.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol, cuda cracks me up. hes probably right though, they call it "ram air" induction because it just sounds more agressive/better than "cold air" induction.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Ok that settles it. if the WS6 doesn't really pull an extra 10 to 15 HP than the standard T/A as advertized by pontiac then all us WS6 owners need to get the DREAM TEAM AKA (If the glove doesn't fit , you must aquit) and file a class action law suit against pontiac. HA Ha Ha Ha Ha

Quick Reply: Ram Air Fact Or Fiction: Part II