Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ram Air Fact Or Fiction: Part II

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good argument, but shallow in scope

Ah, postings just to solicit arguments. The formulae of forum sites seeding new threads in quest for acquiring new subscribers.

The article seems to consider velocity, but a ram-air intake's intention is not to scoup fast air and keep it fast. Ram air works by bottle-necking a high-pressure front caused by the vehicle/intake pushing into the air, the same as what you want from a positive-displacement supercharger, and presents a large volume of available "boosted" air. Placed well, we scoup fresh cool air, and create a wake of "static" high pressure at the intake. The engine breaths a fraction of what is available.

That science wiz never eats breakfast, and has never traveled by airplane.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:20 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

An engine creates a vacuum while running, and the surrounding air is pressurized at less than 1 atmosphere. Ram air/SSRA/FTRA just makes available more air pressurized closer to 1 atmosphere.

No one in their right mind thinks it is the same as adding boost!
Old 05-08-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will a properly designed "ram air" setup creat a supercharging effect (meaning, will it create positive pressure in the intake manifold)? NO.

Will it reduce pumping losses by reducing the intake manifold vacume (meaning, it will bring it closer to atmospheric pressure)? YES. And you'll want a converging scoop to do it.

BTW, turbulence prior to the intake manifold IS NOT the same thing as turbulence in the intake runner, intake port, or combustion chamber. It does not help the fuel/air air charge to mix (remember where the fuel is added.)
Old 05-08-2004, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

And I showed a 550rwhp '03 Cobra that ram air DOES work.......
Old 05-08-2004, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RealDealCamSS
And I showed a 550rwhp '03 Cobra that ram air DOES work.......
Who was driving...Miss Daisy? Do you run 10's? I hope so.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Haha, Mrs. Daisy. It's great to hear '03 Cobra owners in denial.

Great if you've outran some modded LS1's. I've outran some modded '03 Cobras. Quit your whining.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Haha, Mrs. Daisy. It's great to hear '03 Cobra owners in denial.

Great if you've outran some modded LS1's. I've outran some modded '03 Cobras. Quit your whining.
I'm not whining. I'm asking a question. Does your car run 10's?
Old 05-09-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by unit213
I'm not whining. I'm asking a question. Does your car run 10's?
with the mods in his sig, cam,spray, bolt ons he should be pretty close to it. but 550rwhp cobra that still would be tough unless he is spraying closer to 200. but like anything you need to have a drive mod as well. who knows....
Old 05-09-2004, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

No, you're whining. For some reason, you can't accept the fact that an LS1 can outrun a stoutly modded '03 Cobra.

And I can't answer your question, since I don't run my car at the track. I race from a roll so that I don't destroy my transmission and rear end. I also hardly ever run my car hard. However, there are local F-bodies around with much less power than I have, that run tens. However, your reference to tens is whether or not I could outrun YOU, not necessarily modded '03 Cobras. I have never said I could outrun you - I don't know what you have. But I HAVE outran a 550rwhp '03 Cobra, so there's an indicator. I've got nothing to prove that I haven't already proved - that '03 Cobras aren't the last word in performance. Frankly, I think they're a bunch of hype. They're nice, and I wouldn't mind owning one, but they definitely AREN'T head and shoulders above the LS1's.

Lastly, I only posted my first reply in response to your worthless post about ram air not working. Even if it didn't work, you outrunning LS1's has nothing to do with it. Don't go out of your way to make condescending remarks - especially when it has nothing to do with the thread at all. I posted at first because I knew you'd start whining. It's funny how you say something, then I repeat what you say, and you get all defensive. Look man, you've outran some LS1's. That's great. Good for you. I've also taken some '03 Cobras. You're gonna have to accept that.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Administrator

No, you're whining. For some reason, you can't accept the fact that an LS1 can outrun a stoutly modded '03 Cobra.

And I can't answer your question, since I don't run my car at the track. I race from a roll so that I don't destroy my transmission and rear end. I also hardly ever run my car hard. However, there are local F-bodies around with much less power than I have, that run tens. However, your reference to tens is whether or not I could outrun YOU, not necessarily modded '03 Cobras. I have never said I could outrun you - I don't know what you have. But I HAVE outran a 550rwhp '03 Cobra, so there's an indicator. I've got nothing to prove that I haven't already proved - that '03 Cobras aren't the last word in performance. Frankly, I think they're a bunch of hype. They're nice, and I wouldn't mind owning one, but they definitely AREN'T head and shoulders above the LS1's.

Lastly, I only posted my first reply in response to your worthless post about ram air not working. Even if it didn't work, you outrunning LS1's has nothing to do with it. Don't go out of your way to make condescending remarks - especially when it has nothing to do with the thread at all. I posted at first because I knew you'd start whining. It's funny how you say something, then I repeat what you say, and you get all defensive. Look man, you've outran some LS1's. That's great. Good for you. I've also taken some '03 Cobras. You're gonna have to accept that.
Just so you know, I had a LS1 that ran 11.50's so you don't have to defend them.

Don't get cocky saying you beat a 550rwhp Cobra. You beat the driver, because if you can't run 10's...you didn't beat the car. End of story.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cant we all just get along..... no matter how fast your car is today, you may lose to a honda tommorrow. technology is what drives the industry today. pushrods have worked since the beginning but modular motors are the new wave technology. maybe someday GM will come up with there version but until then the modular motors have technology on there side. we on the other hand have many years of trial and error on our side, and we come closer and closer to perfection everyday. modular motors are new. With new things comes new bugs to work out. new surprises by the slightest of tweaks to the motor. GM will have there new and exciting new cars out with the newest technology available within the next couple of years, and you can kiss pushrods goodbye. they will always have a few pushrod motors in there lineup. who knows what the future will bring all I know is that I may line up to a 550 rwhp cobra or SS or T/A or Viper, etc. if I win that would be great but you never know i may pull up at that very next light to a WRX or NSX, or EVO and get it handed to me. it is all for the adrenaline rush, or the thrill you get . lets just run them all and have a good time.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by unit213
Just so you know, I had a LS1 that ran 11.50's so you don't have to defend them.

Don't get cocky saying you beat a 550rwhp Cobra. You beat the driver, because if you can't run 10's...you didn't beat the car. End of story.
Actually man, I owe you an apology. I misread your first post and thought you meant you outran LS1's in your Cobra. Sorry bout that - it was a wee bit late. BUT, outrunning them in your Z28 doesn't point toward ram air working or not, either.

But back to the '03 Cobra race, the race was from a roll. It wasn't like who won was totally dependent on the driver. We shifted twice - that's the only "driver" part to that one. I beat the car... End of story. And running at the track is all about hook-up anyways. If anything, the '03 Cobra would have the advantage from a roll.

Anyways, we're arguing about nothing. And I only posted initially because I misread your first post. Sorry about that. What it comes down to is that A. I apologize for aggrivating you in the first place, and B. I beat the '03 Cobra with pure power.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Actually man, I owe you an apology. I misread your first post and thought you meant you outran LS1's in your Cobra. Sorry bout that - it was a wee bit late. BUT, outrunning them in your Z28 doesn't point toward ram air working or not, either.

But back to the '03 Cobra race, the race was from a roll. It wasn't like who won was totally dependent on the driver. We shifted twice - that's the only "driver" part to that one. I beat the car... End of story. And running at the track is all about hook-up anyways. If anything, the '03 Cobra would have the advantage from a roll.

Anyways, we're arguing about nothing. And I only posted initially because I misread your first post. Sorry about that. What it comes down to is that A. I apologize for aggrivating you in the first place, and B. I beat the '03 Cobra with pure power.
No problem brotha. Trust me, I know all too well that any car can get beat on the street. The manufacturer has nothing to do with it.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How in the hell did GM get by all these years with out the help of you experts
Old 05-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cgworth
How in the hell did GM get by all these years with out the help of you experts
Actually, they didn't. Many of us at LS1Tech.com, including myself, work in the automotive industry...chemical engineer here.

Your sarcasm is noted however.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Actually, they didn't. Many of us at LS1Tech.com, including myself, work in the automotive industry"

That's true. We actually have staff members that work FOR GM.

Quick Reply: Ram Air Fact Or Fiction: Part II