New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ws6 or SS help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I could be pretty out of touch with what these cars are worth these days, but it just sounds a bit high considering the newest of the 4th gen f-bodies are around 10 years old, and they weren't all that much brand new off the showroom floor.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Idk just saying what its like in oklahoma
Old 12-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

I have an 00 SS and a 01 WS6. Thanks God I dont have to get rid of one
Old 12-02-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
$10-12k is all I would expect out of something like that, but your market is very limited even at those prices. People don't want something that is consistently viewed as a gas-guzzler (and these cars are) when prices at the pump are what they are currently.

Maybe the original poster will shed some light on the approximate amount that was paid for the vehicle in question.

You might want to go get some lunch or something...you sound grouchy.
the car was bought for over your price range listed... if that answers your question

I guess I could be pretty out of touch with what these cars are worth these days, but it just sounds a bit high considering the newest of the 4th gen f-bodies are around 10 years old, and they weren't all that much brand new off the showroom floor.
they werent all that much off the showroom floor? okay... so back in 2000 when my car was sold 32,000 dollars wasnt that much money for a new car? when were you in touch with the value of these cars? or how about a 30th anniversary lt4 car for a sticker of 39,000+.....

Last edited by 01BlueSS1995; 12-02-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:46 AM
TECH Addict

While I can see both sides of the price argument for the most part 4th gen F bodies are not selling at a premium anymore. In order to get top dollar you have to wait for the right buyer who wants a low mileage 4th gen, main reason being is high priced 4th gens are not the best "Bang for your buck" anymore. For the price of 13-18k you can find a low mileage GTO or C5 or many other cars that would be considered a "better value" for some. So you might get top dollar for the car, but there is a chance you won't or might have to sit on it for a while. Another thing to consider is area, that plays a big role in a cars value as well.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Both are valid points and I agree as well, the market for camaro's isn't what it was. the bang for the buck isn't there to some buyers. However, I don't believe this diminishes the value. But like you said you can buy more modern cars in the same price range
Old 12-04-2011, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

The bang for the buck is still there, but not for low mileage cars that are going for 15+ K. Not saying that these cars won't sell for 15+ k anymore, but for someone to spend that on these cars they have to really want a Camaro or Trans Am 4th gen since there are better options available that are newer and deliver the same or better performance. Another thing to consider is that regardless of the miles, there is only so much that financial institutions are willing to loan on these cars, so for the most part any 4th gens selling at a premium are not going to be able to obtain a loan on them. That limits the market because most people don't have 15k cash to go buy a car outright.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 01BlueSS1995
they werent all that much off the showroom floor? okay... so back in 2000 when my car was sold 32,000 dollars wasnt that much money for a new car? when were you in touch with the value of these cars? or how about a 30th anniversary lt4 car for a sticker of 39,000+.....
How about back in February of 2002 when I bought my SS off the showroom floor, WITH SLP options (which yours didn't have) for ~$28k out the door. And a friend of mine with a couple less options that walked out with his in the same time frame for ~$26k.

And that LT4 better have been a 'vert with every single option known to man, otherwise someone was the victim of a huge dealership markup.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Dude, it's because we live in Ohio. I completely agree with you on your prices. My car is worth maybe 7k to the right person. It is pretty much stock with like 80k miles. Ohio has been drilled by the recession so in our area f-bodies aren't worth anything because no one has money ha ha.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
Dude, it's because we live in Ohio. I completely agree with you on your prices. My car is worth maybe 7k to the right person. It is pretty much stock with like 80k miles. Ohio has been drilled by the recession so in our area f-bodies aren't worth anything because no one has money ha ha.
And that could very well be the case - about the only industry left in Dayton right now revolves around Wright-Patterson AFB, and even that is getting ready to take some hits with government downsizing.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

And that could very well be the case - about the only industry left in Dayton right now revolves around Wright-Patterson AFB, and even that is getting ready to take some hits with government downsizing.
Yep. I go to Wright State and I listen to all the air force guys talking about all the plans they have for the base. Things are going to get worse around here before they get better.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

How about back in February of 2002 when I bought my SS off the showroom floor, WITH SLP options (which yours didn't have) for ~$28k out the door. And a friend of mine with a couple less options that walked out with his in the same time frame for ~$26k.

And that LT4 better have been a 'vert with every single option known to man, otherwise someone was the victim of a huge dealership markup.
well isnt your car just special? and that lt4 probably wasnt a rip off considering they only made about 104 of them.... but what do i know. im only 15. im really glad that your slp option car is better than mine and that we have been off topic for the last 3 pages.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh and ive been wondering, how does your car run 14's??
Old 12-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

well isnt your car just special? and that lt4 probably wasnt a rip off considering they only made about 104 of them.... but what do i know. im only 15. im really glad that your slp option car is better than mine and that we have been off topic for the last 3 pages.
Yes...I know you are 15. And yes, you appear to know very little.

oh and ive been wondering, how does your car run 14's??
Stop by Dayton and I'll be happy to show you. You'll have to get your parents to take you, but it can be arranged.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Stop by Dayton and I'll be happy to show you. You'll have to get your parents to take you, but it can be arranged.

Don't mess with Mr. Meents.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes...I know you are 15. And yes, you appear to know very little.

very little? im not sure what ive said thats been incorrect...
Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

very little? im not sure what ive said thats been incorrect...
Let's go back to your first post:

as of right now i have two f bodies sitting in the driveway. i turn 16 in 10 days.
both are cleaner than a whistle. the drawbacks to both being they are both a4's The 01 ss has been mine for two weeks. it is a non slp car bone stock. navy blue with gm 10 spoke wheels. the car only has 24,000 miles on it. slight piston slap as is expected in some ls1's. Interior is near perfect. i believe tcs is standard on these model years
if i keep this car i plan on putting cme and and slp grille and leaving the car stock other than slp air lid.
Nope...but that's already been pointed out to you.

The 98 ws6 is red but is not bone stock. of course the interior is slightly nicer for the age. but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car. the car has 70,000 miles on it, and no real performance mods other than air sensors and lid along with electronic cutoffs. the interior is immaculately clean. the car has a torque arm and stabilizer bars the 98 is equipped with tcs which is a good thing for me.
I have no idea what an air sensor even is, but if you are talking about an oxygen sensor, it wouldn't be a performance mod - it would be a maintenance item.

And does it have cutouts (not a cutoff) or a single cutout? Most people put one in the intermediate pipe and call it good enough. If it had cutouts (that would mean two), they'd have to be in the y-pipe, and I don't know anyone that makes a cutout that would fit the crushed stock y-pipe, unless that had been replaced as well. And the last item is more commonly referred to as a sway bar - that will make it easier if you try searching for it in the suspsension section. Semantics, I know.

And if you did your research, you'd also find out that 98s had some other weird quirks like a unique to that model year PCM that isn't well supported by aftermarket tuning companies, a metal gas tank instead of the plastic ones like the 99+ cars got, etc. Not show stoppers, but something you'd run into if you ever got serious about modding it, and it also makes it a bit more difficult to source replacement parts when things break.

Look kid...I've been playing this game for a while, and I have a fair amount of background with this platform. My 2002 SS was the first car I ever bought, and it is sitting about 15 feet away from me in my garage right now. I've put more blood, sweat, and tears in that car than you can imagine. You come off very cocky for a person of your age, and it rubbed me the wrong way. I've tried to be nice, but you keep pushing back, and you keep assuming I can't possibly know what I'm talking about. If that's your way of introducing yourself, so be it. Don't expect me to like it, and don't expect me to have any respect for you, because you clearly haven't earned it.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let's go back to your first post:

Nope...but that's already been pointed out to you.

I have no idea what an air sensor even is, but if you are talking about an oxygen sensor, it wouldn't be a performance mod - it would be a maintenance item.

And does it have cutouts (not a cutoff) or a single cutout? Most people put one in the intermediate pipe and call it good enough. If it had cutouts (that would mean two), they'd have to be in the y-pipe, and I don't know anyone that makes a cutout that would fit the crushed stock y-pipe, unless that had been replaced as well. And the last item is more commonly referred to as a sway bar - that will make it easier if you try searching for it in the suspsension section. Semantics, I know.

And if you did your research, you'd also find out that 98s had some other weird quirks like a unique to that model year PCM that isn't well supported by aftermarket tuning companies, a metal gas tank instead of the plastic ones like the 99+ cars got, etc. Not show stoppers, but something you'd run into if you ever got serious about modding it, and it also makes it a bit more difficult to source replacement parts when things break.

Look kid...I've been playing this game for a while, and I have a fair amount of background with this platform. My 2002 SS was the first car I ever bought, and it is sitting about 15 feet away from me in my garage right now. I've put more blood, sweat, and tears in that car than you can imagine. You come off very cocky for a person of your age, and it rubbed me the wrong way. I've tried to be nice, but you keep pushing back, and you keep assuming I can't possibly know what I'm talking about. If that's your way of introducing yourself, so be it. Don't expect me to like it, and don't expect me to have any respect for you, because you clearly haven't earned it.
no arguement this time. youre 100% correct. < i dont like admitting that either
im not doubting your work on your car.. and i understand how i seem cocky, always have come off that way. im not saying you dont know what youre talking about but when ive been browsing the market for over a year and a half, i know the market values of most cars. im not trying to be a dick but if i think youre wrong then ill let you know. your 100000% percent right about my mistakes in the first post.. if im a bitch for admitting this then so be it.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

im not doubting your work on your car.. and i understand how i seem cocky, always have come off that way. im not saying you dont know what youre talking about but when ive been browsing the market for over a year and a half, i know the market values of most cars. im not trying to be a dick but if i think youre wrong then ill let you know. your 100000% percent right about my mistakes in the first post.. if im a bitch for admitting this then so be it.
but on a different note, not saying im right. but some of the words i use are just what ive always called them.. still referencing the same part. cutoffs though..... i dont know where my head was..
Old 12-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

It doesn't make you a bitch - far from it. No one likes admitting they're wrong...I clearly haven't liked it either. If I didn't make it clear, I should have earlier...I haven't been in the market to buy/sell an f-body since I bought mine way back in the day, so everything I said earlier was based solely on my opinion. I tried backing that up, but it appears that people are paying more than I expected. Guess that makes my rough estimates wrong.

Time to take my Geritol and go to bed.

Quick Reply: ws6 or SS help