New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to become an LS1 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I would recommend looking around, and consider flying somewhere to pick one up if you find a really good deal. For example last spring I found a '02 SS with 41k miles, mint, for $10k. Don't be afraid to low ball people on them, and walk away. You can always go back if it is really the car you want, but they may call you once you leave and accept your offer.
Also since it is not going to be a DD you may want to consider getting a 6-Speed. I only drove a Saturn Ion 5-speed once, and decided I was going to hold out for a manual trans. Just something to think about...
Old 01-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z-camaro
I would recommend looking around, and consider flying somewhere to pick one up if you find a really good deal. For example last spring I found a '02 SS with 41k miles, mint, for $10k. Don't be afraid to low ball people on them, and walk away. You can always go back if it is really the car you want, but they may call you once you leave and accept your offer.
Also since it is not going to be a DD you may want to consider getting a 6-Speed. I only drove a Saturn Ion 5-speed once, and decided I was going to hold out for a manual trans. Just something to think about...
Well the car will be a DD for 75 percent of the year. That means my Buick will be off the road with only comprehensive coverage.

I would love a 6 speed, but I'm in the market right now for a car and sadly nobody has a car I can learn on. How do I test drive the car if I've never driven stick? I know I would pick it up very quickly, but I would not know what to expect right away.

As far as flying to see a car, it would be tough for me. I would like to purchase the Camaro before the end of February and I have school and work to contend with. I appreciate the suggestions though.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if I had the budget you have and was in your location ( Long Island) I would plan on hopping the ferry to coastal CT and drive up to RI and take a look at the pewter car listed here in the eastern classifieds ( look up top in eastern forum while logged in) it is $9200 but look at the listing and its a great value

here is a link :

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-c...-1-3-12-a.html

everyone on here says to build these cars from the back to the front and that is hat this guy has done , strange s60 with 4.10's , monster stage 3 clutch , lots of suspension mods but only minor bolt ons for power adders so its not a beast but it is ready to be , or to last a long time without breaking stuff at its current power level , looks great in pics low miles (78k)

both my ls1 cars were owned by members here , I paid 3 grand and change each with mods but they had 173,000 and 230,000 on them not 78k and I have to think about what I might break if I run them hard ( allready have a spare rear end just incase lol)

if your looking for cheaper a buddy of mine has another pewter z with 160k and minor bolt ons for $3500 on NH craigs list
Old 01-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by murphinator
if I had the budget you have and was in your location ( Long Island) I would plan on hopping the ferry to coastal CT and drive up to RI and take a look at the pewter car listed here in the eastern classifieds ( look up top in eastern forum while logged in) it is $9200 but look at the listing and its a great value

here is a link :

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-c...-1-3-12-a.html

everyone on here says to build these cars from the back to the front and that is hat this guy has done , strange s60 with 4.10's , monster stage 3 clutch , lots of suspension mods but only minor bolt ons for power adders so its not a beast but it is ready to be , or to last a long time without breaking stuff at its current power level , looks great in pics low miles (78k)

both my ls1 cars were owned by members here , I paid 3 grand and change each with mods but they had 173,000 and 230,000 on them not 78k and I have to think about what I might break if I run them hard ( allready have a spare rear end just incase lol)

if your looking for cheaper a buddy of mine has another pewter z with 160k and minor bolt ons for $3500 on NH craigs list
Weird, the link says I don't have permission to access the page?

That is a good idea, I could take the ferry.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RobC1993
Weird, the link says I don't have permission to access the page?

That is a good idea, I could take the ferry.
you have to be a member and logged in to access the regional forums , maybe you need a certain number of posts too ??? but I can tell you the pics are damn clean & straight and pewter will grow on you big time , it stays clean real well like silver does.

incase you still havent gotten in the thread here is the verbage from his listing:

Motivated seller. Need to buy the wife a new car.I am not parting out so please dont ask. Here is what I got 2002 Pewter z28 6spd 78k miles. I bought it with 68k on it bone stock, never modded from an older gentleman. It is CLEAN! It has a couple small dings but its expected being almost 10 years old and a daily. I have done some upgrades myself with intentions of making it a beast but only got as far as the rear, bolt ons and suspension upgrades.

I am looking for $9200 obo with all mods.

Send me a pm if you are interested.

Here is what it has:
LS1 w/6spd
MGW SS with Classic Hurst Shift ****
Monster Stage 3 Clutch and Flywheel
Strange S60 rear with 4.10 gears, has the Strange LSD Diff
SLP lid
MSD plug wires
Hooker Stainless 1 3/4 headers
**NEW custom dual setup** I will try to get pics asap
BMR Subframe connectors
BMR Lower Control Arms
BMR Panhard Rod
Prothane Engine mounts
SJM Line Lock
Tuned by Slowhawk

Car put down 324whp / 337wtq on a Mustang Dyno w/s60 and 4.10 gears

I have 2 spare stock wheels with street tires mounted that will go with car as well. I bought for drag radials or ET Streets but never did it. I also have to stock manifolds, cats and y-pipe.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks a lot, I wish I could see the pics for sure. Price may be a bit out of my range though.

How exactly does the sales tax work though? Even if I purchase from a private seller, the DMV is going to charge me a sales tax? Which in my case could be upwards of $600 (8.6% sales tax in NY).

Unless of course the title was transferred as a gift, but is it likely that the seller would be willing to do that? Or is that considered tax evasion if the DMV finds out?
Old 01-14-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It may vary buy state, but USUALLY you pay no sales tax if you buy a licensed and registered vehicle from a private party, even out of state. If it's a commercial vehicle, or you buy from a dealer, then you normally would have to pay. Maybe someone with experience buying in NY can chime in?
Old 01-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Capricio
It may vary buy state, but USUALLY you pay no sales tax if you buy a licensed and registered vehicle from a private party, even out of state. If it's a commercial vehicle, or you buy from a dealer, then you normally would have to pay. Maybe someone with experience buying in NY can chime in?
This is what I originally thought, but after a few google searches and this from the NY DMV site I'm a bit worried.

With rare exceptions, the items or information listed below are all required to apply for an original vehicle registration in NYS.

If you buy from a licensed NYS auto dealer, the dealer can charge a fee to apply to the DMV for your registration. In many cases, the dealer can issue a temporary registration and, if required, vehicle plates. The dealer normally submits your vehicle registration and title certificate application for you.

If you plan to register the vehicle yourself, the items below are listed in the order in which they become necessary for the transaction. Details about the requirements are provided either on this page or on other pages of this web site, and each link opens in new browser window. You can print the list below as a checklist to get the forms and documents you need.

Proof of vehicle ownership

Proof of NYS sales tax payment, exemption or purchase price

Proof of NYS automobile liability insurance

Completed E-ZVisit Form MV-82EZV

Proof of identity and date of birth of the registrant.

Payment for sales taxes and fee
Old 01-14-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

As stated keep looking, i know for a fact my friends have bought SSs both stick and auto for under 6 in good shape in CA and AZ. I got my Trans Am for 5.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
As stated keep looking, i know for a fact my friends have bought SSs both stick and auto for under 6 in good shape in CA and AZ. I got my Trans Am for 5.
Absolutely, I will continue to look.

Here's what appears to be a low mileage Z28 in NJ. A 5 hour drive from me, but at $7000, is it worth the look? Seems to be a good price. I'm going to email them for more pictures.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 01-14-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Absolutely, I will continue to look.

Here's what appears to be a low mileage Z28 in NJ. A 5 hour drive from me, but at $7000, is it worth the look? Seems to be a good price. I'm going to email them for more pictures.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Make sure you get some photos from the underhood area, & possibly the underside of the car.

Everyone can see what mod's have been done that way.

If it's had clutch upgrade, rear-end change, headers, etc., etc., ..., those are some things that a new young LSx owner may wanna stay away from.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks a lot, I wish I could see the pics for sure. Price may be a bit out of my range though.

How exactly does the sales tax work though? Even if I purchase from a private seller, the DMV is going to charge me a sales tax? Which in my case could be upwards of $600 (8.6% sales tax in NY).

Unless of course the title was transferred as a gift, but is it likely that the seller would be willing to do that? Or is that considered tax evasion if the DMV finds out?

Yes, you'll be paying tax on the purchase price that's written on the title. If you get it from a dealer you're going to pay the full tax amount. If you buy from a private seller and he's cool, he can put a lower purchase price on the title, that's how I did when I sold my Mustang and when I bought my Camaro.

EDIT: Also, normally when you buy from out of state, it costs more to get the title transferred to your state.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sepsis
Yes, you'll be paying tax on the purchase price that's written on the title. If you get it from a dealer you're going to pay the full tax amount. If you buy from a private seller and he's cool, he can put a lower purchase price on the title, that's how I did when I sold my Mustang and when I bought my Camaro.

EDIT: Also, normally when you buy from out of state, it costs more to get the title transferred to your state.
Yeah, I figured. I'm sure I can still find a nice car though for a little under $8000.

I know now is the best time to buy, but I may wait until spring. Trust me though, I want one bad.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Well folks, I think I found one. 6 speed 2002 z28, 98k miles. Pretty clean. Magnaflow cat back, high flow cats. Lowered. I'll post pics later this week. Hoping to get it Tuesday. We agreed on 7900 dollars, exactly what I wanted to pay.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

Definitely dont jump on the first offer. Take your time and look around. It took me 6 months to find my 99 SS with 104k miles. It was well taken car of. I got it for 6300! SS Hardtop with a bunch of goodies...