Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street king project car info needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street king project car info needed

So, let me start off by saying, I am fairly ignorant about motors and all the stuff that goes with them, so I hope y'all can help me. Long story short, I have a 1967 mustang I was gonna put a 408 (ford) motor in just because that what people around here do. Well my mechanic buddy and I have squabbled about the fact that, that is a very street friendly setup, which I want the car to be. So I think we have decided to go with a ls1 motor. He says it should have a lot Power and still be a daily driver. So I have a friend who has a 348 (?) rotating assembly and gonna get head/cam/ and all the other stuff to make it hot. So..... My question is, what do y'all think my best option is on a ls1 motor to have the baddest street car on pump gas that is still ok to drive 20 miles a day? I am not wanting to spend the money on a turbo/blower. May put a lil spray on it though. Any thoughts?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can build a stout LS1 with 450-500 rwhp, 500 taking the best parts on the market, add a lil spray, and you can go over the 700 mark,, that will take down most cars on the street, HOWEVER,, You will not be king of the streets, I personally have a stroker with spray and it is well over the 700HP mark. BUT I also know of a couple of turbo cars that are over 800 and a twin turbo vette in my area thats a lil over 1000HP. SO I HOPE YOU HAVE UNLIMITED FUNDS CAUSE YOUR GONNA NEED THEM..
Old 01-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Default Maybe not king??

Well round small town where I'm at, there aren't any turbos or blowers except at tracks. So basically we are running motor for motor. I was just wanting thoughts on stroking, size and combo selections for a good drive able street car that can haul butt when needed. I don't want to get outrun by any new model camaros or cobras.
Will the 348 this boy has with good heads and guts be capable of outrunning these new cars on motor?? Don't want to under build, but I want to be able to drive the car for enjoyment as well.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

id go with more cubes if you can.

itll still be streetable if its planned right and tuned correctly.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Default Hp?

If I use aftermarket 348 rotating assembly, good cam, and good heads, what kind of horsepower do you think I can make? Lots of stuff on Internet says these motors make 500 rwhp with minor cam/head changes. Surely I will be at 500 at least, or am I wrong?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 67stang
If I use aftermarket 348 rotating assembly, good cam, and good heads, what kind of horsepower do you think I can make? Lots of stuff on Internet says these motors make 500 rwhp with minor cam/head changes. Surely I will be at 500 at least, or am I wrong?
You are wrong,, You can make close to that, but just do a little research on this site and you will see realistic numbers from real cars. I have only seen one member with undisputable setup on a stock cubed ls that made the 500 mark, His name is TONY MAMO, and if you read you will see what it took, Lots of money in the best parts money can buy, and everything in the combination supporting every other part. Its not just throw a cam and some heads on it and go, I see that you are new, I can tell you this, if you some good heads and a big cam in your car, it is not even going to run, You will have to have the computer tuned, a dyno tune is the only way to set the engine up, and thats a min of 400 and up to 700.
BUT to answer your original question, If you have a good short block, a set of good heads, and a custom cam, good intake, and the supporting mods, You will crest the 450 mark realistically, and that is more than enough to take out a new camaro,mustang, easily wipe out chargers and challengers. BUT if you tangle with someone who has modded their ride you never know what you are going against.
You would be real surprised to get whipped by a cadillac, and that can happen very easily. What I am telling you is this, you can build a stout LS motor, I love these engines, and have built two, I know what they are capable of, but trying to attain the label of KING of the street, IS NOT GONNA COME FROM A STOCK CUBED 5.7ls,, PERIOD
Old 01-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Default Hah!

Man I feel like I just got lip whooped!!! I'm just kiddin. I appreciate the help. I know the boy that had this motor was running 6.90's on motor in 1/8.
Maybe I really didn't mean king? (but I'm gonna be mad if I get outrun). So what I'm gathering is that maybe I need to step up to a 383? But will it still be a good weekend drive able car?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:23 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If I was you and an LS1 block was to be had for cheap, I'd definately take it to 3.905 and get a rotating assembly from Texas-Speed (have them balance it), have your builder assemble it, and throw on some decent heads with an LS6 manifold, or FAST if funds allow. Heads could be AFR's, TrickFlows, PRC's, or Texas Speed Stage 2.5 LS6's.

It'll make for a fun car.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:58 AM
Banned

add 150shot tjese motors lov da nos
Old 01-23-2012, 06:20 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will not be king of the streets
this made my day lol,op there will always be a faster car, now a days there are 8,9 second street cars , honest i dont know what your budget is but there are alot of good options out there , truck blocks, ls1,ls2,ls3 its really how much you wanna spend,my next build will be a 5.3 turbo build , that is something that can be done on a budget as well

add 150shot tjese motors lov da nos
lol your full of great info
Old 01-24-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

500 at the crank LS1 is pretty easy....to the tires much harder but not impossible and not real streetable either...