New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question about headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Trying to stay under 500.00 severely limits choices. I got my bbk lt and ORY shipped for 355.00, TSPs would've been near 650+ after adding ORY and shipping.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For headers AND a y-pipe you best start hitting the classifieds that a tall order if you want decent stuff.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Trying to stay under 500.00 severely limits choices. I got my bbk lt and ORY shipped for 355.00, TSPs would've been near 650+ after adding ORY and shipping.
you get what you pay for. if you buy cheap headers, you're gonna be happy right up till you try to put them in. if you can't afford them, then wait a little bit till you can.
once you've got them, check with local reputable exhaust shops for the rest of the system.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

I think Kooks has that posted on their website but thanks for reading it too me.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
they do here in nj too. i used to be one of them as previously mentioned. but also here in nj, they've been deploying mobile inspection stations, complete with computer hook ups, and tail pipe sniffers. the sniffer WILL tell them that there's no cat, even if they don't look.
to me, it's just not worth the risk, especially with todays technology, and high flow cats......what're ya gonna gain? .00125 of a second in the quarter?

now, since there's some on this board that think i just like to argue....and sometimes i do.....and that i just like to troll, blablabla.......i'm not. i'm just offering advice, and my opinion.
it is absolutely not worth the risk of them trying to impound my car(worst case) or slap me with a huge assed fine, just because i want to be cool and take the cats out.
oh yea....and fords rule, chevys suck. that should cover all the bases for my ankle humper.

really? where? youre making me nervous lol. im not seeing that here thankfully.

as far as LTs i agree on not going cheap. go with something stainless and high quality and be done.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
really? where? youre making me nervous lol. im not seeing that here thankfully.

as far as LTs i agree on not going cheap. go with something stainless and high quality and be done.
one of my friends wife got caught in one in marlton. she was lucky....inspection sticker on her durango was expired. they ran the inspection, and slapped a sticker on for her. no cost or fines.
had a customer got caught up near trenton area. he wasn't so lucky. they slapped a big red sticker on his truck.....you know...one of those 48 hour stickers?

those are the only instances i've heard so far. i do know they were built by winner ford. i saw 10 of them being built down there.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

you get what you pay for. if you buy cheap headers, you're gonna be happy right up till you try to put them in. if you can't afford them, then wait a little bit till you can.
once you've got them, check with local reputable exhaust shops for the rest of the system.
Not to mention the inferior finishes the cheaper headers have.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 AM
12 Second Club

Some of you guys may have trailer/garage queens but I don't see the point in bashing the rest of us. I have a 150k car that gets driven rain,snow or shine. A 1000.00+ set of headers is going to look pretty but what am I gaining otherwise? People keep citing quality but I ask you how many people on here have had to buy a set of headers to replace their cheap headers after a 5 year period? Do they fall apart and need replaced? How long with your expensive headers last (this only applies if the car leaves the garage) 10 years? Forever? I can afford to pitch the ones in the trash and buy two more sets and still be under what a 'quality' set costs so I'm pretty sure I'm in good shape here.

I would really like to know though, aside from supporting a particular manufacturer what's the problem you guys have? Upset you spent too much or do you really believe BBK headers will fall apart and need replaced in a years time? If you have credible information by all means speak up.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

not all of us have trailer queens.i didn't cheese out on the headers, or any other parts for my mustang in the picture, and you see the result. that was my everyday all weather car....unless the snow was deep enough to warrant my old pickup truck.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

not all of us have trailer queens.i didn't cheese out on the headers, or any other parts for my mustang in the picture, and you see the result. that was my everyday all weather car....unless the snow was deep enough to warrant my old pickup truck.
If there was one right next to you running cheap headers and nailing the same times would it matter? I guess that's the real question.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

If there was one right next to you running cheap headers and nailing the same times would it matter? I guess that's the real question.
he wouldn't necessarily run the same times. especially with headers......theres differences in design and construction. both of these can/will effect performance.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Next question is to go with ceramic coated headers or go the cheap way and do chrome with wrap? Also I saw something about paint for the header wrap, anyone have any experience with that?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

he wouldn't necessarily run the same times. especially with headers......theres differences in design and construction. both of these can/will effect performance.
Very true..there is a change his budget headers would perform better. (or vice versa of course)
Old 02-09-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some of you guys may have trailer/garage queens but I don't see the point in bashing the rest of us. I have a 150k car that gets driven rain,snow or shine. A 1000.00+ set of headers is going to look pretty but what am I gaining otherwise? People keep citing quality but I ask you how many people on here have had to buy a set of headers to replace their cheap headers after a 5 year period? Do they fall apart and need replaced? How long with your expensive headers last (this only applies if the car leaves the garage) 10 years? Forever? I can afford to pitch the ones in the trash and buy two more sets and still be under what a 'quality' set costs so I'm pretty sure I'm in good shape here.

I would really like to know though, aside from supporting a particular manufacturer what's the problem you guys have? Upset you spent too much or do you really believe BBK headers will fall apart and need replaced in a years time? If you have credible information by all means speak up.

I'm not saying they might completely rust away or anything like that. just that if you drive in the snow and your car sees hard winters a header more suited to defend rust might be a good idea, and I HAVE seen what happens to poor quality chrome applications.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:48 PM
12 Second Club

Can you share? I know my post was hostile and all, but no one gives any proof/insight on just what happens with cheap headers they just talk **** about them and call it a day. You would be helping people put if you steered the towards the good stuff for a good reason.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
Smelling likes fumes? Is something under the hood leaking and coming in the car?
No man no leaks. But after a short drive my clothes and hair reek. I don't really care too much but the ol lady sure bitches.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Then how do you smell like exhaust then?
Old 02-10-2012, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can you share? I know my post was hostile and all, but no one gives any proof/insight on just what happens with cheap headers they just talk **** about them and call it a day. You would be helping people put if you steered the towards the good stuff for a good reason.
Ok well first off, from what I have read the chrome finish on the BBK headers Is actually a pretty nice job. Chrome is supposed to last forever, however, with a ceramic or chrome header I would be scared about scraping something and damaging the coat allowing rust to collect and then spread. This will only be accelerated if your driving in hard winters or live near the coast.

Poor chrome jobs will flake if the process is not done properly and this will leave you with bare places that will see the hard elements.

Chrome is a better choice than ceramic though.

This is a picture showing how the rust is collecting near the collector and on one of the primaries. Nothing to major.

I think its the pacesetters that suffer from the poor finishes. This picture is from a member that had 1500 miles on this set and was garaged.

My Texas-speed headers have some slight rust in the welds (ceramic). This sucks because I don't want them to begin leaking. Bear in mind I could always just have them re-coated or switch out to a better made header (ARH or Kooks)

I don't know anything about how quickly salt speeds up the process. My car doesn't see winters or rain. Shouldn't be a problem really of course just showing that ceramic only slows the process. Chrome is very resistant but the finish can be damaged. Stainless doesn't have these problem but they discolor and you will pay for it.

The higher cost is from the better finish, fit, and maybe a little bit better performance. I'm not saying going from a pacesetter to a BBK will get your an extra 5 horsepower, going from 1-3/4 to 1-7/8 you will, but I'm sure a high end header has a little better scavenging going on.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 02-10-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes there also is a guy that just started a thread because his bbk headers wont fit. He has them bolted on. But the collector rest on the floor.

My6speedz if your welds have rust it will wipe off with a rag and wd40.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Very true..there is a change his budget headers would perform better. (or vice versa of course)
budget headers will have harsher bends. crappy welds. crappy flanges. poor mating surfaces. crappy fitment. crappy junctions where the tubes come together.

Quick Reply: Dumb question about headers