Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question about headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Can you share? I know my post was hostile and all, but no one gives any proof/insight on just what happens with cheap headers they just talk **** about them and call it a day. You would be helping people put if you steered the towards the good stuff for a good reason.
it's called experience. some of us have been down that road, and are trying to help prevent others such as yourself from throwing money down the drain on cheap crap.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
it's called experience. some of us have been down that road, and are trying to help prevent others such as yourself from throwing money down the drain on cheap crap.
I'll just say when you're searching for information nothing that you guys are saying 'helps' (It literally comes off as an elitist attitude, no i'm not kidding)... posts like the one before with pictures and information DOES help.

It's too late for me as the BBKs are done, ordered, look fine and will be going on this weekend. I'll post my experiences good or bad and leave it at that.

I searched for weeks before making a decision and didn't find anything bad about the BBKs... I am curious about the thread that just popped up though.. definitely need to check that one out.

FWIW with what I drove though every year.... rust is just going to happen... We get maybe 3 months of good weather here a year..the rest is rain, snow and crap. I've already accepted any header is going to look like crap after a very short period of time...cosmetic aspects weren't a priority for me.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll just say when you're searching for information nothing that you guys are saying 'helps' (It literally comes off as an elitist attitude, no i'm not kidding)... posts like the one before with pictures and information DOES help.

It's too late for me as the BBKs are done, ordered, look fine and will be going on this weekend. I'll post my experiences good or bad and leave it at that.

I searched for weeks before making a decision and didn't find anything bad about the BBKs... I am curious about the thread that just popped up though.. definitely need to check that one out.

FWIW with what I drove though every year.... rust is just going to happen... We get maybe 3 months of good weather here a year..the rest is rain, snow and crap. I've already accepted any header is going to look like crap after a very short period of time...cosmetic aspects weren't a priority for me.

lets us know when you get them on
Old 02-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Haha I ordered bbk ceramic headers, I hope it was a good decision. If they only last a couple years that will be alright because I want to turbo eventually haha.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

i don't think you'll have any problems with BBK, unless they've gone down the pooper in the last few years.

if i come off as "elitist" i apologize. i don't intend to sound that way. it's often hard to interpret just what someone's trying to communicate, by just reading their text.
all i really intend when i say stuff like i've posted in this thread, is as stated earlier. i've been down that road. i'm sure others have been too. i just try to communicate my experiences in hopes of helping some of you younger guys(goddam i feel old saying that) will save money, time, and keep your skin on your knuckles.

in some threads(like the zl1 ones running right now) i may come off as a dick, but i'm actually a pretty nice guy.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
i don't think you'll have any problems with BBK, unless they've gone down the pooper in the last few years.

if i come off as "elitist" i apologize. i don't intend to sound that way. it's often hard to interpret just what someone's trying to communicate, by just reading their text.
all i really intend when i say stuff like i've posted in this thread, is as stated earlier. i've been down that road. i'm sure others have been too. i just try to communicate my experiences in hopes of helping some of you younger guys(goddam i feel old saying that) will save money, time, and keep your skin on your knuckles.

in some threads(like the zl1 ones running right now) i may come off as a dick, but i'm actually a pretty nice guy.
It wasn't really you.. I see a lot of the 'you have to buy the 1300.00 kooks' posts from a lot of people on here. Reasons why I should part with so much money are useful; at my age (in my 30s) I have the money but I would rather spend it on my wife or the kids than on my car. I just need a GOOD reason not to save the money.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

It wasn't really you.. I see a lot of the 'you have to buy the 1300.00 kooks' posts from a lot of people on here. Reasons why I should part with so much money are useful; at my age (in my 30s) I have the money but I would rather spend it on my wife or the kids than on my car. I just need a GOOD reason not to save the money.
well... i just felt the need to explain myself, since i've been kind of a dick in a couple of threads....and i'm still new here.

kudos to you for keeping your priorities straight too!! i know too many guys that've lost too much because they put their cars in front of their families.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:14 AM
Staging Lane

OK got my headers, going to put them on this weekend. Just want to make sure I have everything. I have the gm gaskets, corvette O2 sensors, BBK headers with Y pipe. Do I need anything else?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Need oil, oil filter, and spark plugs and anti seize.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed. Best time to do plugs and wires is with the headers out of the way.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lovemy77camaro
OK got my headers, going to put them on this weekend. Just want to make sure I have everything. I have the gm gaskets, corvette O2 sensors, BBK headers with Y pipe. Do I need anything else?
I would recommend a stepped band clamp for the i-pipe to y-pipe connection (Napa has band clamps but they are not stepped... I don't have the part number or size..maybe someone here knows) and something to sand/grind the i-pipe. Mine wouldn't go together so I ended up spending an extra 30.00 to have a shop weld it up for me. A band clamp and a little cleaning and I could have avoided that.

Otherwise Corvette REAR 02 sensors, zip ties, gaskets (The headers came with new gaskets..I didn't use them since I had GM MLS ones laying here), plugs for the rear 02 ports on the y-pipe (I used old oxygen sensors to plug mine for now) and patience. Good Luck!!!!

FWIW Install took 7 1/2 hours...prepare yourself for a long day. Dipstick tube would not come out.. took a lot of tugging but that ate up a ton of time.

If you remove the coil packs on both sides, valve cover on the passenger side and lift the passenger side of the engine a little (I put a jack under my a/c compressor and barely lifted) you can drop both headers in from the top with no effort. I did the entire install with the car on jack stands and it wasn't very high in the air.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

O yea I forgot about plugs, it's got new looking msd wires so I probably won't mess with them. I guess I'll measure my y pipe and get a band clam for it since I work at napa haha. I have a lift to work on so hopefully it will go faster
Old 02-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Another question is what plugs to get. Seems like the most popular is tr55 plugs but then they say platinum. The tr55's are just regular resistor plugs the tr55gp is platinum. Does anyone know which one to get or what the ngk stock number is on them?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
Well I would get arh longtubes and y pipe. Then you have to find out what catback you want. Magnaflow sound good, borla, corsa, bassani, just don't get flowmaster.
Just out of curiosity, what's so bad about a flomaster muffler?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JTtransAM
Just out of curiosity, what's so bad about a flomaster muffler?
The tone and wierd crakel. The exhaust flow sells for f body is crap it rust so fast its not even funny.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

What plugs should i use??
Old 02-17-2012, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

I'm running the NGK tr55ix and I love em. It's $55 for 8 of them but its worth it IMO. Not ever looking forward to the next time I have to change my plugs.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

Plug changes with the headers will be cake. I can get all of them from the top now.

I run cheap champion coppers... If I was smart I would have bought iridiums. The stock plugs were still getting me bottom 13s at 108ish (car was bone stock on rsa's) when I pulled them at 112k

Quick Reply: Dumb question about headers