New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about lifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about lifters

Just picked up a 5.3l short block, came with everything but a cam. I have the stock lifters for the 5.3 and I'm going with an ls6 cam I picked up and 241 heads, I know I already need 7.425 push rods, but my question was if I could use the 5.3 lifters with that cam or if I should swap in new lifters?
I know the ls7 lifters are the newest "factory replacements" so I'm assuming all the lifters are the same dimensionally but I want to get advice from you guys. Thanks for response in advance
Old 03-06-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the lifters have a lot of mileage on them I would not use them. You are already easily able to switch them so why not. Lifters are relatively cheap so it's added insurance to not have to repair a collapsed later down the road. As far as dimensions I honestly don't know.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:04 PM

That partially answers my question. The lifters and block I have only have about 35k on them. My question was more of wether or not the 5.3s use the same lifters as ls1 and ls6's so I can be sure which lifters to get to go with the ls6 cam
Old 03-06-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What lifter you use will not matter. If its only 35k then your 5.3 lifters should be fine. Hell I cammed my 84k ls1 and used factory lifters w/ zero issues. Your ? needs to be what pushrod length will you need. I however do not have that answer. Using a pushrod length checker will be the best way.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:54 AM

Every post I've checked thus far when using ls1 241 heads in combo with a ls6 cam has said to use a 7.425 length pushrod instead of the factory 7.400's. I planned on checking the length regardless but it seems the consensus that the 7.425's are the appropriate length. I plan on using ls6 yellow springs as well and I'm assuming that won't affect the pushrod choice. I've considered possibly milling the heads to raid compression back up, in which case the factory pushrod length should work, but Im not sure if I will go that route as I'm not looking for crazy power in my setup, just something fun. Thank you for your advice on the lifters by the way. Any further info or suggestion pertaining to my setup would be greatly appreciated as well.