Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy O2 senors

I have a 1998 trans am
all stock except for the muffler...
for now
Yesterday after starting and driving about 10 mins the Check engine light came on.It is throwing codes for the 02 sensors had 6 different codes according to the guy.Im going to go back up shortly and get the exact codes to see if that will help me diagnose this issue
Any idea on what this could possibly be caused by?
I still have the cats on the EGR like i said car is 100% stock aside from the muffler and the air filter.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it is 02 sensor related it could be any or all of the 02 sesors you have. If it is your rear 02s then its really not anything to be worried about. If it your front 02s then yes you need to fix that issue. Does the car feel down on power does it hesitate on acceleration or the exhaust smell like gas. Another thing to look at is your catalytic converter could be clogged.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Teching In

im going to autozone right now to get the codes and see exactly what it is. but no doesnt really seem to have less power or anything just codes and that ever so annoying light that tells me my engine needs to be checked! lol

The Codes are
P0131 bank 1 sensor 1
P0137 bank 1 sensor 2
P0151 bank 2 sensor 1
P0157 bank 2 sensor 2
and the last two repeat themselves again.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You definitely have an 02 issue and I really don't know why/how all four would be throwing codes and you wouldn't be noticing any issues. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will be able to help. You could however replace them all and see if it goes away but that will be kinda expensive.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
You definitely have an 02 issue and I really don't know why/how all four would be throwing codes and you wouldn't be noticing any issues. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will be able to help. You could however replace them all and see if it goes away but that will be kinda expensive.
yeah they are about $70 bucks a pop
i need a better job
i d the codes and it says one of the possibilities is low voltage.
which could make sense i suppose if somewhere i melted some wires i just really dont see all 4 going out at the same time though. and with having very little to no power loss i dont see whats going on
guess those new gears i was wanting are looking less and less likely

and thanks for the help bigbird!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Launching!

my 97 ta also has o2 problems. if it makes u feel any better my car has 14 codes - most to do with o2 sensors.

131 is b1s1 low voltage
134 is b1s1 circuit condition
not sure exactly what the difference is just know its time to replace this sensor. so long $60!

i also have more codes for the rear o2 sensors but thats because i have a y pipe and no cats so they're not even there. i'll need o2 simulators for those. farewell to another $120!

oh well, i just want this damn ses light off!

dont know if you've tried this but unhook the battery for 20 mins and see if codes are still there. if they are replace front sensors for sure, rear sensors if u dont want to see that light.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Bad i feel you there man.
i want the light OFF!!! lol
you having any performance issues with your T/A?
im really wanting to and was planning on doing gears but now that this is ahppening i think ill just go with full exhaust and call it good. and have someone tune the rear two o2s out. so i can get rid of that SES but i had the guy at autozone clear the codes which should be the same thing as unhooking the battery right?
anyways thanks for the reply im going to go wire hunting tomorrow and see if i can find a short if i can AWESOME hope it fixes it if not... i just might kick a wheel !
Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DON'T replace your o2's. What are the chances of all 4 going out at once...? Let's just say you probably have a better chance of winning the Mega Millions.

Let me guess, K & N air filter? Those are notorious for getting oil on the MAF and makes it go haywire. If you're running a K&N, get a can of MAF cleaner and clean it real good and get rid of the K&N.

If that doesn't work, check your fuel pressure (actually I guess you can do this first as it is free if you have a tester). You should be around 58-60psi while cranking I believe and around 55psi running.

I would also check for vacuum leaks. Maybe spray carb cleaner around the intake, or check for broken vacuum lines/hoses since there are quite a few on these cars.

Lastly, your fuel pressure regulator could be bad. These are a little tricky to test but it can be done. Good luck
Old 03-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Launching!

the douche at autozone told me they dont clear codes they just identify them. my t/a has a few minor issues but im planning on seafoaming/mccc-ing, changing plugs, wires, b1s1 o2, and maf. we'll see how she runs after all that money out of my pocket lol. the reason im considering rear o2 sims instead of tuning them out is i think it'll be cheaper

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Let's just say you probably have a better chance of winning the Mega Millions.
lol idk about that
Old 03-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Teching In

LT1PWR i just read something about the fuel pressure. i was planning on doing that tomorrow. ill start with the filter it is k&n simply cause thats what was in the car when i got it.
ill probably keep it till i can change out my air box i want to make full use of the hood. why keep it just for looks right?
really appreciate it fellas.
i have another quicky for anyone viewin. if you have a link as to how stalls work could you send it to me PLEASE
as for everything else ill update yall tomorrow one way or the other if i have to rob a bank to get this thing fixed illl let yall know!

badbird. do you ever come towards oklahoma?
or ill ask some of my friends that are up towards you. but theres a guy down here in OKC that rumor has it will tune out the back two for 40 bucks. and a ice cream. (not sure if the ice cream is a deal breaker or not though.) but i got some friend up in IL and ill ask around for you tomorrow and see what i can find if anything.
maybe save you a little money.
have you thought about getting it dyno tuned? down here its roughly $400 or so
Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Launching!

i have thought about a professional tune but im just not willing to pay $400+. i figure sims are cheaper and can always be removed and reused if i get another car, or sell them as they are a pain to find.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Banned

I did a mail order TunebyFrost and he is a sponsor here. I deleted all my emissions and sent my ecm and had everything tuned out and no more check engine light Also had it tuned for the bolt ons I have and I am impressed with the way it turned out and is alot cheaper than getting a dyno tune (not quite as good of course)
Old 03-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Teching In

after debating what im going to do if tomorrow it doesnt get fixed. im going to replace the front to and let the back to go all flashy light on me untill i get my exhaust and intake since ill need to tune it after that anyway. problem is finding someone who will tune it even if i have Cutouts. main place in my city has a grudge against them and refuses to work with them at all! lol personally i just like the noise. guess that shows my age eh?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stevez2885
I did a mail order TunebyFrost and he is a sponsor here. I deleted all my emissions and sent my ecm and had everything tuned out and no more check engine light Also had it tuned for the bolt ons I have and I am impressed with the way it turned out and is alot cheaper than getting a dyno tune (not quite as good of course)
how much was the mail order tune and how difficult was it to do? i dont know a thing about tuning
Old 03-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Welll im going to get my codes cleared at advanced autozone service wasnt being to... friendly today. lol
anyways as of yet no progress im going to go get a diagnostic on it tomorrrow if the codes dont stay cleared.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Alright well since i could get the codes to clear by disconecting the battery for a while which i though was kinda wierd. took it up there borrowed their handheld was reading the same codes plus a missfire(probably from the sae foam i used today.
anyways its now SES free once more!
thank you LT1PWR all i did was sea foam it. (out of boredom and it was on sale) and cleaned the MAF as well as the throttle body. the MAF wasnt to dirty but did appear to have a oil film on the inside of it. thanks a ton!
now i can actually get gears as i wanted!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Well i spoke too soon.
SES is back.
but instead of throwing 8 codes like it was earlier today.
(misfires due to the seafoam.)
and 6 codes for the o2s so now its down to 2 repeating codes for sensor 1 bank 2 which i believe is p0151 so im going to swap those two tomorrow just roatate them and call it good from what i can tell the downstream o2s dont really do anything anyways. and see if it still throws codes and hope it changes to throwing codes for bank 2 sensor 2
well still thanks lt1pwr cleaing the MAF and throttle body along with sea foaming there seams to be a small gain in power it feels like the car has a little more ***** on launch.